Second Batch Dry Hop Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJStank

Reaction score
I've got an IPA in the primary right now. It's been in for 2 weeks and I was planning on letting it sit at least 3 weeks before I dry hop for a week. Am I ok to just add the additional hops to the primary and not risk contamination by moving to a secondary for dry hopping? I wanted to leave this one in the primary for at least 3-4 weeks (I only kept my first batch in for a couple, turned out ok, but I wanted to be more patient the second time around). I appreciate any suggestions.

My first batch was the Autumn Amber from Midwest. It's been in bottles for 3 weeks now and tastes pretty good. My dad tried some and said it was "better than he expected it to be" (not sure if that was a backhanded compliment or not, he he). Anyways, he's been so interested in what I've been doing that he ordered me an extra case of bottles and some more caps for my next batch with the stipulation that the bottles return to him full! I'm betting that he'll be doing this on his own sooner rather than later.

I've really enjoyed reading these boards and gaining some insight from everyone. I appreciate the words of wisdom and encouragement that are shared here. So, thank you!

From what I have read on this forum and other places, most say to just leave it in primary to removing the risk of contamination. I personally don't have an issue with moving to a secondary if I want to clear the beer some more, but I'm very meticulous with the sanitizing and the transfer process. I haven't had an issue yet. I have only transferred 2 batches to a secondary so I'm sure others who have transferred and ended up with a contaminated batch will add some info. I have a batch of Irish stout that I was going to move to secondary but after having conversations with others on here it was suggested I let it sit in primary, so I did.

i would leave it in your primary on the yeast cake since IPA's are usually pretty heavy anyways. i just kegged my warrier american IPA four days ago. it turned out great. i let it sit in primary for about 3 weeks, but im thinking i should have went 5 with no secondary. i dry hopped with 1oz of cascade leaf hops. i just cracked the fermenter open and carfully poured them in after the fermentation was done. let em sit for about a week or so. ive heard only 3 days, ive also heard wait 10 days. personally, ive never gotten much aroma or flavor from a three day dry hop. so i usually go a week to 10 days solid.

Latest posts

Back