Seattle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brkoerner

Reaction score
I'm applying for an internship with Amazon that will run from June to December. I was wondering how the weather is normally then and if there is any skiing within a few hours drive. Also any breweries or brew pubs I should check out if I get it?

Thanks for the help

Summer starts on July 4th and goes through July 5th. (haha, but really it goes through the end of August) In September it's a bit cooler than the summer time and the rain usually starts consistently towards the end of September. Through the summer it will rain maybe once a week for an hour or so and thats it. A lot of people don't realize but it's almost a drought here most years in the summer, lots of brown grass etc etc.

By the time you'll be leaving in December it will have only gotten down to the mid-low 40's and just rains, no snow. (rarely does it snow. Two weeks ago was the most snow we've had since 69? and it was like 4-5 inches and then a couple days of ice)

When it's rainy season a lot of people complain about it, but its technically rainy season right now and there isn't a cloud in the sky and its beautiful out. It says 53 degrees for downtown, but Im 15 miles north at work...

in the summer time it's awesome here. Plenty of stuff to do, hiking, fishing, boating, drinking on the beach etc etc. Lot's of sports to do if you're into that too. There is also plenty of skiing in the winter months within a few hours drive or less. You won't be disappointed in your summer in Seattle.

BTW, I'm a newbie to Seattle, I've only been here for about 18 months or so... And also be prepared to constantly talk about the weather, thats the thing to do around here...

I visited a friend who lives in Seattle a couple winters ago and we took a trip to Crystal Mountain to do some snowboarding. Awesome time, and not too long of a drive if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the quick replies. Sounds like my ideal weather. Hopefully I get it.

How "hot" does it get during the summer

Summer might get into the 80's. If it ever gets into the 90's, peoples brains stop working. NO ONE here has AC. No outdoor swimming pools either.

Skiing is an hour outside of Seattle, if the weather gets cold enough. Alpental backcountry is GNARLY. at least one person dies each year up there.

You should buy a mountain bike. The biking here rules.

Do you know where you'll be staying?

You can throw a rock and it will hit five breweries before it hits the ground.

Traffic SUCKS though.

no idea where I would be staying, heck I don't know if I'll even be up there but I really want to.

the 90's is no problem for me since I'm use to >100 weather

any recommendations on where to stay?

Seattle isn't hot compared to Texas. It gets into the 90s at the most, usually at the peak of summer. You won't be able to do much skiing, however. There is usually a little snow on the runs starting in December, but most years the coverage is just starting to get good around/after the holidays.

As for breweries, you can go to Pike at the Market and Big Time brewpub in the U-district. Check out the Coal Creek Porter if you get to Big Time. Georgetown makes one of my favorites, Manny's pale ale. It's named after the neighborhood in which it is located. Then there's Fremont brewing, which is more in Wallingford than in Fremont, despite the name. But Hale's is in Fremont. If you're in the area, check out Brouer's Cafe -- it isn't a brewpub, but they have so many beers on tap you could get lost in there. Good selection of local and international craft brews last time I was there. There's Elysian Brewing up on Capitol Hill and I almost forgot, Pyramid in SODO. That should keep you busy.
Plus there are other brewpubs like the Ram, Gordon-Biersch and the Rock Bottom, but I think you can get that stuff in other cities too.

Former resident. (hometown!)

90s is actually kind of rare. mid-80s is closer to 'normal hot' and at night it still drops into the upper 50s during summer.

Rains are not like the south (Texas, AL, MS, LA, FL) - it's more of an annoying drizzle. few thunderstorms and heavy rains. Sometimes for an hour, sometimes for half the day. The gray skies contrast with the beautiful days most exquisitely. (Mom is still up there...) And I agree - summer doesn't start until July.

You will NOT run out of place to drink great beers!

Be sure to hit up Naked City!!! Started by a member here!!!

This area is easily one of the most beautiful places you will ever go!

:mug:

I second Naked City. Head brewer there started in homebrewing and is a member here. He's a nice guy, and the place is great. If they still have it on tap, and you like sours, try the Dark Passage.

I was unimpressed with the food, and the server was kinda off-putting, but the beer is fatastic, and you can eat at any number of places in walking distance before sidling up to the bar and spending the rest of the evening there. Then again, have a DFH 120, and the evening won't last too long.

Oh, and as mentioned, Pike's is pretty cool, too. Lots of great beer and brewing history in there.

Seattle...Don't forget to check out The Rock Wood Fired Pizza...Good brews, GREAT pizza!

Back