Search function

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95747brewer

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding relevant posts when I use the search button. Any post with the word I search for anywhere comes up. Shouldnt there be a search title only option, or other advanced search options? Maybe Im just using it wrong, but when I use the advaced search button it just sends me to google. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Unfortunately some things are easier to search than others. I find the search within a particular forum to be a little better. What was it you are looking for?

Maybe Im just using it wrong, but when I use the advaced search button it just sends me to google.

It sends you to Google? I get search results from Google, but they appear within the HBT page:

Click the triangle shape next to the word Search in the function bar.

screenshot_14.jpeg

Type your search terms into the top search box in the dropdown and hit enter or click the Search button.

screenshot_13.jpeg

The results come from Google, but within the HBT search results page.

screenshot_16.jpeg

Yes, it sends me answers from google. I am just used to most forums, regardless of their topics, having features like "search title only" etc. If I type in electric hlt, every post with electric hlt anywhere in the responses comes up, regardless of the topic. Maybe I should just use full sentences rather than keywork searches, but I still think a search title only feature would be helpful to all the posters who get lightly ridiculed for not searching before they post.

The worst is searching for something that appears in someone's signature, cuz then you get every post that person posted....regardless of topic. I wish you could "exclude signatures"....

In hexmonkey's post you'll see the drop down for search has a "advanced search" option. Click on that and you can search thread titles only, username, replies, prefix, etc etc etc.

In hexmonkey's post you'll see the drop down for search has a "advanced search" option. Click on that and you can search thread titles only, username, replies, prefix, etc etc etc.

I don't know if the non-premium supporters have that "advanced search", so they may be looking at a different option than you guys.

I don't know if the non-premium supporters have that "advanced search", so they may be looking at a different option than you guys.

Yeah they are, I get pms asking this all the time since I wrote the primer on using advanced search, shortly before tx removed advanced searchfunction to non paying members.

One way to get around it and use regular google is to start your search inquiry with the therm Homebrewtalk.com then the topic you are looking for, and if you happen to be looking for a particulat author's post then add that.

For example, homebrewtalk.com "bottle conditioning" revvy

If you put what exactly you are looking for in quotes you will narrow down the hits to those containing exactly the words in that phrase.

Like this; http://tinyurl.com/yfb6brh (This time I get to use lmgtfy not sarcastically :D)

It's not as good as the advanced search the way I wrote about, but it'll do in a pinch.

There's also a formal way to structure a google search with a site and a query....but I can't recall.

Perhaps our friendly (and sexy) neighborhood moderator can persuade TX to reinstate advance search for everyone.

searching for anything with "primary" or "secondary" is usually frustrating...(signatures)...

with that said. the "google" search is nice and helpful. much like google (google.com, that is), it is all about the right keywords. it's hard to find out about removing the door of a mini fridge, until you realize the term "fermentation chamber" exists.

Back