Screwing up my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzakiel

Reaction score
I knew this would go wrong somewhere... Just wondering what my chances are of saving this batch (my first)

I am using a kit from midwest supplies. It comes with a food grade bucket for fermentation. I started the brew successfully and everything was going fine. The bucket has an airlock hole with a black rubber seal and a 3 piece airlock.

Around day 3 the bubbling stopped, but I am not that worried since many here have said that's ok. 2 more days went by.

Today I came home from work (day 5 of the brew) and noticed the airlock was tilted a bit, so I grasped it and tried to set it upright again. The rubber gasket popped out of the hole and fell directly into the brew.

I popped open the lid and grabbed a long spoon which I had cleansed with the easy clean stuff that came with the kit, hoping to find the seal in there somewhere. Since it's a stout, it's black as night. I can't find the rubber seal. All I pulled up was green goop from the hops at the bottom. The rubber gasket is in my brew somewhere. I didn't know what to do so I closed it back up and put the airlock thing back in the hole without the seal.

1. Is the beer ruined? What can I do if anything?

2. Will it be ok without a rubber seal/airlock fitting tightly?

3. While I was looking at the brew, since I had it open, I noticed a lot of soapy looking film on top and scuzz everywhere. Is that normal? How does that get removed from the final product?

1. The beer is probably fine. There was C02 being released that kept bad things from getting in.

2. It would be best if the bucket was sealed.

3. Sounds normal.

Is there a home brew store close to you? If so just go grab another gasket. If not wrap a bunch of teflon tape (plumbers tape) around the airlock, sanitize it and shove it in the hole.

I'm no expert but I would seal the gap as best as possible and as soon as possible. You are increasing the oxygen content of the system and the fermentation portion of the yeast life cycle is an an-aerobic event (one without oxygen). What is happening now, is you are increasing the chances of oxygenation (which could produce a higher diacetyl content) and increasing the risk of contamination (during fermentation the head space is filled with CO2 due to CO2 being a by-product of fermentation. Under normal circumstances all the majority of the O2 is pushed out because CO2 is heavier than O2, therefore creating a padding of CO2 above the wort). Some bugs need O2 to survive and since you don't have a tight seal, O2 is leaking in and making it a good place to thrive on all your sugars.

So, seal that **** up! Your beer will be fine, don't worry about it... Welcome to brewing :)

p.s. if my rambling is incorrect feel free to correct ;)

Check the electrical department at HD or Lowes they usually sell assortment packs of grommets. one probably will fit in the hole.

You're fine. :tank:

There's enough alcohol in your beer now that infection risk from the gasket is low to nil.

Use a piece of tape to help re-seal your airlock if you don't have a way to replace the gasket locally.

I don't know what you mean by "soapy" but scuzz is a natural part of fermentation. Pics would help but you're probably fine. The only thing I'm concerned about here is you could have left too much soap residue from cleaning. That would be really hard for you to get wrong so I doubt it's problem, I just can't tell without a pic.

One thing you're going to learn sooner or later--RDWHAHB.:D

Edit: Oh yeah, welcome to the best hobby ever. As you can see, we're very helpful around here.

the soapy scuzz could be the krausen?? I'm guessing your brewing an ale right?

It will probably be ok. We have all dropped strange things into brews. I remember a thread someone made about losing there indglow watch into a brew and not realising it. Found it weeks later while racking I think, i gurantee you the watch was more skanky than your rubber seal.

As with everyone else, you should get a air lock back onto it, but ive heard of people just covering fermenter with a towel and letting it roll without one. But you probably know what the safest thing to do is.

Concerning the activity drop after 3 days, pretty normal. Ive had beers ferment out in like 24 hours before, and then just meander around for a few weeks doing very little, but probably cleaning up the mess from the all night yeast party.

As far has keeping the film and scuz from the final product, in a week it will be gone to the bottom of the fermenter. Then when you rack to the bottling bucket you leave the junk on the bottom.

Thanks, you all gave me a lot of confidence that I can still be enjoying a delicious stout in a few weeks. I will say, it smelled great when I opened it up!

It will probably be ok. We have all dropped strange things into brews. I remember a thread someone made about losing there indglow watch into a brew and not realising it. Found it weeks later while racking I think, i gurantee you the watch was more skanky than your rubber seal.

As with everyone else, you should get a air lock back onto it, but ive heard of people just covering fermenter with a towel and letting it roll without one. But you probably know what the safest thing to do is.

Concerning the activity drop after 3 days, pretty normal. Ive had beers ferment out in like 24 hours before, and then just meander around for a few weeks doing very little, but probably cleaning up the mess from the all night yeast party.

Did the watch still work? "Timex takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'":drunk:

Back