Screwed up the secondry with sugar, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BockBurner

Reaction score
First post on the forum here, so hello. This is my first batch of brewing in about 8 years, so please bear with me. I'm a noobie all over again.
I've got a fairly mild Pale Ale I just brewed up last week. The directions go back and forth between what to do if using single vs. 2 stage fermenting and I got one step ahead of where I needed to be. Over anxious I'm sure, but I'm going to blame it on bad directions for the time being (I know the reality, just let me be with the fantasy, ok?)
When I racked to my secondary 48 hours ago, I added 3/4 c. of corn sugar. Should've been done after secondary when I was going to bottle it, but just realized the mistake now. It is what it is. I'm sure its not ruined exactly, but now what?
Do I leave it to condition longer that the suggested two week minimum? Do I still add a primer sugar when I go to bottle it? What changes should I expect from what it might have turned out like before? Advice?

Specifics:
6# Gold Malt Extract
8oz. Crystal malt grain
2 oz. Willamette Hops pellets at different stages
5 gallon recipe

Thanks in advance.

-j.

The yeast will eat the corn sugar. Your beer will just have about a little higher alcohol content than intended. About 0.2% more, so probably about 4.5% instead of 4.3%.

How long has it been fermenting so far? Let it ferment for a good two weeks in all.

Do you have a hydrometer?

You'll still need to add priming sugar when you're ready to bottle, because the yeast will have used all the sugar you've already added.

I transferred to secondary after 5 days. Right now is 2 days into the secondary, so a week total. I have no problem leaving it in secondary as long as necessary. If longer is better, I'm there.
Its been at a steady 65 degrees in a dark corner of my basement the entire fermentation process.
Yes, I do have a hydrometer...and I'm an idiot. I didn't take a measurement on the OG. I did, however take a measurement at transfer to secondary and it was at 1.012.

Not to worry... your OG was about 1.044 if you used all the extract and grain, and ended up with 5 gallons in the fermenter.

The corn sugar added .002 to that.

Just leave it another 4 or 5 days and take another reading. I bet it'll be 1.011 or 1.010 (assuming 1.012 was after you added the sugar). Whatever it is, take another reading a day or two later and if it's the same, it's ready to bottle.

Grats! You increased the amount of alcohol you have. There is actually a technique of doing this as it is racked to the secondary. However, usually people put in a lot more sugar than that and usually of a type that may change the flavor of the beer a bit.

Nothing to worry about though, your beer should be just fine.

Back