Screwed Up My Grain Order- Looking For Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddle_Head

Reaction score
I ordered some grain for an English Bitter from Austin Home Brew (awesome vendor BTW). They have a great service were you can get your grain bill for an individual recipe pre-blended, down to the ounce on stuff. Anyway, I must not have been paying attention and ordered one of my batches with 4lbs of chocolate instead of 4oz, with all the other appropriate grain weights.

Original Bill: 8lb Maris Otter, 0.5lb Carapils, 0.25lb Crystal 60, 0.25lb Chocolate. Was targeting a post boil gravity of 1.0428

I Ordered: 8lb Maris Otter, 0.5lb Carapils, 0.25lb Crystal 60, 4.0lb Chocolate. Which will bump the gravity up to 1.056.

For the most part I just feel like a knucklehead for wasting $20+ on a bag of grain that isn't what I want. I'm also figuring it isn't worth brewing even for a goof to see what happens, because I've never heard of anything with that much chocolate in it, (and no I cannot cull out the chocolate).

So I figured I'd ask the collective populace if they have any interesting suggestions for using this for brewing or should I just feed the birds with it this winter? I only can only make 7gallon batches (pre-boil), so it's not like I can just way up the batch size. But I'd be up for adding something else in, changing the style, whatever, if I heard a good suggestion for making decent beer with it.

Thanks in advance.

Why not split the whole bill in half or thirds even, add more two row or MO to the smaller amount until you hit you desired OG you want. Brew it and see how it goes. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back