Screw up = time for fun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
I have 8 gallons if wit that I transferred to kegs before checking FG and it's at 1.022. They're now sitting in the warmest part of my house and there is a tiny amount of co2 released every morning when I pull the tab so I guess it is fermenting, but probably not going to go much farther (I've never had this problem before). So, I'm thinking of pitching a champagne yeast (or WLP099 given a recent thread) in the 5 gallon keg.

For the 3 gallons (in a 5 gallon keg for what it's worth) I'm thinking of pitching brett. Would that ruin my keg for anything other than brett? I probably only like about 25% of the beers with Brett so I don't want to basically damage a good keg. Also, is beer with brett not very good if you don't give it time to age? I was thinking about putting it in my keezer when it reached 1.012 because I don't want to overdue the brett.

Thanks.

If you care, I normally do a two step mash with wits (only beer I step) with highest temp at 152. For this batch I didn't step and mashed at 156. Although it should still go past 1.022, it was probably just moving slow at that point. I have no clue why I mashed at 156. It's been awhile and I didn't review my mash temp from previous brews.

- What was the OG?

- I would not pitch anything else, unless you are convinced that it is undrinkable at 1.022.

- Personally, I ramp the temp up at the end of every fermentation for a few days before taking the beer off the yeast. In some cases it may not be necessary but with this method I never take a FG reading until it's kegged. (sorry, that does not help you this time).

Champagne yeast is great with simple sugars, not so much with complex.
It's unlikely to dry out a difficult barley malt fermentation - the original pitch would have knocked out all the simple sugars with ease already.

WLP099 might bring it down some, but it may not be worth the effort...

Cheers!

When I've mashed at too high a temp I was able to get from 1.02 to 1.01 by adding amalyse enzyme. After adding that I waited another week to check and the FG had dropped and the beer tasted much less sweet to my palette

- What was the OG?

It was 1.055. Thanks for all the responses. It's actually still fermenting slowly (I'm releasing CO2 from the keg every day). Once it stops for a couple days I'll probably car one keg and see how it is. If it's good, I'll keg the other.

maazak said:
When I've mashed at too high a temp I was able to get from 1.02 to 1.01 by adding amalyse enzyme. After adding that I waited another week to check and the FG had dropped and the beer tasted much less sweet to my palette.

I may try this with the second batch if the first isn't right. I generally prefer my beer a little dry, especially Belgian style (which begs the question why I mashed at 156?).

I still may try brett with one of the batches if I don't like the results. I'll do some research first. But for now, I'll just wait it out. My wits (last three) all finished at 1.01 so hopefully I can get a few more points and it not be too much of an issue.

Thanks all!

I also had a stuck fermentation around 1.030 I believe. All the methods of restarting the yeast failed. I even tried adding amylase, but it wouldn't start up again. Finally I pitched some Cote des Blancs wine yeast. I didn't really expect anything to happen because everyone says it can't ferment complex sugars, but to my surprise it started bubbling. It isn't a very strong fermentation, but it's been bubbling for a couple of weeks now.

I have 8 gallons if wit that I transferred to kegs before checking FG and it's at 1.022. They're now sitting in the warmest part of my house and there is a tiny amount of co2 released every morning when I pull the tab so I guess it is fermenting, but probably not going to go much farther (I've never had this problem before). So, I'm thinking of pitching a champagne yeast (or WLP099 given a recent thread) in the 5 gallon keg.

For the 3 gallons (in a 5 gallon keg for what it's worth) I'm thinking of pitching brett. Would that ruin my keg for anything other than brett? I probably only like about 25% of the beers with Brett so I don't want to basically damage a good keg. Also, is beer with brett not very good if you don't give it time to age? I was thinking about putting it in my keezer when it reached 1.012 because I don't want to overdue the brett.

Thanks.

If you care, I normally do a two step mash with wits (only beer I step) with highest temp at 152. For this batch I didn't step and mashed at 156. Although it should still go past 1.022, it was probably just moving slow at that point. I have no clue why I mashed at 156. It's been awhile and I didn't review my mash temp from previous brews.

A late update. The 3 gallon batch fermented to 1.017 and the 4 gallon batch went all the way to 1.002 and could still see bubbles rising to the surface. The 3 gallon was drinkable, not great, and the five gallon was a good bit off. I think it got an infection in the keg so I'll be dumping that one when I need a keg.

Time for a good clean of the keg.

Latest posts

Back