Screen print ink/ painting on bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone had any luck screen printing or painting logos on their bottles? All I am finding online are examples of inks and paints that require either high temp firing in a kiln to adhere the inks to the bottles, or using screen print ink and a clear coat on top afterwards. I don't have access to a kiln, and my hesitation with the clear coat is that it will leave an obvious film of gloss over the design. Any tips for the DIYer?

I wasn't planning on using a silk screen, or any sort of rig. I am just freehand painting on some small designs to select bottles. Not too worried about time efficiency, as this will just be for some specialty bottles for gifts.

Acrylics work well on glass, and you can use a matte clear coat for protection of you don't want the gloss.
If you've got repeating elements, you can cut a stencil from thin plastic or card stock and sponge in the paint. Sorta like a silkscreen.

Nothing fancy either, I got really good results with Ceramacoat acrylics, and any local craft store should stock it (JoAnn, Michaels) Grab a stray bottle and slap some paint on it.

Back