Scratches on bottom of primary bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookiemofo

Reaction score
So after 7 batches, I have noticed some scratches on the bottom of my bucket. I think they got there from my thermometer which I no longer store in there.

I actually noticed it a couple batches ago but kept brewing.

Do I need to replace it? My general practice after a session is to fill the bucket with hot water and oxiclean and let it sit 24 hours. Then rinse out. Wondering if i need to replace for good measure.

I do have a 6.5 gal carboy and a 5 gal, should I maybe just start using the 6.5 for primary?

Ive used the same buckets for 3 years and have not even checked for scratches.

I'm sure they are there, but it does not worry me and I have not brewed a bad beer yet.

Knock on wood.

Use StarSan when sanitizing. It will bubble and get in the scratches to make sure no bacteria survive. Highly recommend it.

Yeah i think i have to drop onestep and get StarSan.

All my beers are good, but they have a slight off taste that I cannot figure out. I wrote my LHBS asking if I can bring a bottle in. I can't tell if it's infection, or just not being used to homebrew. I do prefer them over most store bought beers though (probably because of the hard work put in). And, I've made minor mistakes in all my batches that could be contributing.

Here's a question totally off subject. Is it coming for darker beers (hobgoblin clone) to taste a bit hard after only 2 weeks in the bottle? I don't open the beers for drinking... I open them to make sure carbonation is taking place. I opened a hobgoblin last night... pretty harsh tasting! I know it will mellow out... just checking.

Latest posts

Back