Scratches in the fermenter bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy2009

Reaction score
I am currently using fermenter buckets as I haven't moved into using carboys yet. I noticed some scratches in the bucket the last time I used it that I think are from the metal spoon I have. Am I asking for trouble if I continue to use it? There are quite a few scratches.

Short answer, yes. According to several sources here, scratches in plastic fermenters are one of the leading causes of infection. It's a sanitation issue.

time to move to carboys...

i used to use buckets to and had this same problem. then went to carboys at the same time i bought the carboy cleaner which goes in to a drill and spins around and cleans..

also soaking carboy in PBW and water overnight does wonders.

if you need your bucket make sure you clean it very good, maybe even soak it in bleach over night, clean and sanatize religously.

good luck

I was thinking about getting a better bottle. I am not real comfortable working with glass carboys.

I think it depends on the scratches tho. They scratch pretty easily. Like you get very fine ones from scrubbing them out. Personally I am not worried about that. Deeper ones sure. You shouldn't put anything in them when they are not in use IMO.

Latest posts

Back