Scratched better bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtaylor3

Reaction score
Looks like after the second batch with this better bottle its developed scratches from the carboy brush

Is this vessel now a lost cause? Just wanted to ask before I threw it out

Personally, I would not use it. But then again, I would not use a carboy brush on better bottles or any plastic fermenter. To clean them, I half fill with hot water (100F to 120F) and add PBW (enough for the full volume of the carboy). Shake well to dissolve the pbw and completely fill to the top. I will leave this for several hours or until I see that any encrusted trub has floated off the surface. Empty almost all into a 5 gallon pail and use for cleaning bottles.

Then check the carboy over well. If there are still some spots that are not clean, throw in a dish cloth (mine are about 4" x 4"). Shake the carboy well concentrating on moving the cloth over the areas that need to be cleaned. Usually the less cleaning solution in the carboy the better it will work.

This has never failed to completely clean a carboy, even the few times that I had allowed them to sit for a day before cleaning (bad me!).

Looks like after the second batch with this better bottle its developed scratches from the carboy brush

Is this vessel now a lost cause? Just wanted to ask before I threw it out

Are they "swirl marks" or are they deep scratches? I think if they are just swirl marks, you should be OK. If you have any doubt, throw it out...or use it to hold sanitizer.

Have you looked at the speidel fermentors? They are more expensive than the better bottles but, easier to clean and also easier to rack beer from, plus for the price you get a 7.5 gallon vessel with plenty of head room for a 5 gallon brew. Just a thought if you are going to purchase another one. I stayed away from better bottles in fear that I would just scratch the hell out of them. I started to use Speidel fermentors where I can reach in with a clean soft sponge to clean the interior: http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-30l-79-gal.html

I'd use it until it proves to be a problem. A good cleaning and a good sanitizing should be fine. Surface scratches won't protect bacteria from cleaning. A cut where bacteria can hide inside might though.

Personally, I would not use it. But then again, I would not use a carboy brush on better bottles or any plastic fermenter. To clean them, I half fill with hot water (100F to 120F) and add PBW (enough for the full volume of the carboy). Shake well to dissolve the pbw and completely fill to the top. I will leave this for several hours or until I see that any encrusted trub has floated off the surface. Empty almost all into a 5 gallon pail and use for cleaning bottles.

Then check the carboy over well. If there are still some spots that are not clean, throw in a dish cloth (mine are about 4" x 4"). Shake the carboy well concentrating on moving the cloth over the areas that need to be cleaned. Usually the less cleaning solution in the carboy the better it will work.

This has never failed to completely clean a carboy, even the few times that I had allowed them to sit for a day before cleaning (bad me!).

This is the method I use as well. I usually let mine soak for 24 hours. I use a mix of 3:1 OxiClean:Red Devil TSP 90 instead of PBW.

I've only had to do a second cleaning twice.

I'd use it until it proves to be a problem. A good cleaning and a good sanitizing should be fine. Surface scratches won't protect bacteria from cleaning. A cut where bacteria can hide inside might though.

I'm with Homercidal. I never understood the premise that scratches can harbor bacteria that can escape into your beer while at the same time protecting the bacteria from cleaning and sanitizing.

If I ever use a brush (and that's a big IF) I wrap a micro fiber wash cloth on those stiff bristles (it clings well) so that the cloth is cleaning the sticky spots and not the rough bristles.

I would try it if we are talking small scratches -- but not if these are deep gouges.

I'm with Homercidal. I never understood the premise that scratches can harbor bacteria that can escape into your beer while at the same time protecting the bacteria from cleaning and sanitizing.

I agree. The logic there seems flawed.

They're definitely not gouges it didn't even see em when the better bottle was dry just when wet and rinsing the oxiclean/water

I've only ever had two batches go south. Both of them used the same bucket that had been sanitized and wiped down with a paper towel. But, somewhere along the line, the bucket developed a scratch.
I took that bucket out of rotation and haven't had a problem since.

Anecdotal and far from scientific, but the only thing that's changed since the infections is moving the bucket from the equation.

I'd keep using it until it becomes an issue.

It's not like you're going to get abiogenesis of bacteria/wild yeasts in the scratches, bad bugs would need to be introduced and if the carboy is stored dry, and properly sanitized before use, then those cracks are a pretty inhospitable environment.

Sure, they could be introduced to the carboy, and to the scratches from the air, but even if they do, it would need to take hold in your beer. Some people seem prone to infections, others not so much (sometimes I feel like I could spit in my beer and ferment it in an open bucket in my yard... though I am sure I've now jinxed myself).

They'd be far more likely to harbor anything that was growing in a previous beer, so if you get an infection, or brew one on purpose then I'd only use the fermenter for that purpose going forward (but I've brewed beers in my sour bucket in a pinch without infections, so the risk might be a little overstated).

Back