Scrap yard Corny keg score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendavanza

Reaction score
I went to the scrap yard today and looked for good stainless stuff for brewing and saw some corny kegs, they were all smashed up. after wandering around for a hour or so I saw a bin full of largely undamaged ones. These are the cleanest kegs I've seen, nicer than any of the ones I have already. Many of them still had pressure. They have a level sensor which is odd and I think they have only been used to store water. They smell clean and look clean inside and out other than a little scrapyard dirt. I rummaged through them and picked out the best 13 and a couple extra lids from the damaged ones, and paid $1 per lb. Needless to say I am set for kegs. One of the liquid sensor posts had been taken apart and was damaged, so I examined it more closely to find that the dip tube for the sensor is solid at the bottom end and the open part at the top is just sealed with hot glue, so I was able to pull the wires out and so now I have a thermowell in the keg. It would be interesting to know how to use the liquid level sensor, it has a 1/4 mono jack (guitar style) for a connector. My ranco probe is a hair too wide to fit into the dip tube but I read here somewhere that the outer plastic layer on the ranco probe can be removed and then it should fit. So I'm thinking about using some of them for fermenters. Needless to say I am stoked, and I will probably return soon with a wrench and take the ball lock fittings poppets and PRV's off of the badly damaged ones to have as spares and for projects. I guess it's time I build one of those CIP keg cleaning bucket things.
Don't hate me.
photo48.jpg

photo47.jpg

a link to these kegs sold new, but I don't see any info on what reads the level sensors.
http://www.americaninstrument.com/equipment/filters/2348b-filter.asp

Great score! That's how I got my 16 kegs -- gotta love the scrap yard.

Now if I could just find some kettles buried in there. ;)

-- T.

About 8 lbs each. They tried to ring me up at $2 per lb at the cashier but the guy quoted me $1 so they honored it.

Just the standard 130lb psi max, use a PRV on the regulator, don't remove or tamper with the lid under pressure, etc.

I just went back and rescued 5 more. I couldn't bear to think of these getting crushed. There was also a big pile of cold plates, and I just don't have the time to mess with it but someone should save these too. There are 3-4 kegs left with no lids, but there were crushed ones in another area that had good lids (stainless seemed to be in 2 areas, and the guys driving aorund the forklifts were pretty helpful) I also found some coiled 3/8" stainless that would be useful.
Gold's Metal on Lamar in Dallas, TX. I posted in classifieds:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/dallas-tx-scrap-yard-kegs-cold-plates-163759/#post1892317
cheers!
photo49.jpg

photo50.jpg

Back