Scottish ale yeasts and low temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastoftherivernile

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just been brewing a scotch wee heavy with the Wyeast Scottish 1728 yeast when something went horribly wrong with my heating. Basically the temperatures have varied from a high of about 18.5C down to around 12C (or even a bit lower!).

Its actually reached its FG but it leaves me wondering if the strain on the yeast will have kicked out any off flavours? I know that high temps can cause a lot of fusel alcohols and esters to be generated but is the same or similar true at low temps?

Perhaps most importantly is there anything I should do now to optimise the final beer?

Thanks in advance! :)

That yeast works best at cool/cold temperatures. You just barely touched on it's lower at at 12C and everything above that is fine. In fact the 18.5C was probably a bit high for this yeast unless you wanted some "scottish" character. At the lowest end (13-16C) you'll get a really clean beer that works well with malty beers. Much higher than 17C and you'll start to get some esters; some say lightly smokey. Cold and slow is how this yeast likes it. This is a great house strain, IMO.

Thats reassuring to know! Yes, this is my second batch with this yeast and the first one came out rather nicely. I think I'm going wash some of the trub and store it away for future batches.

Back