Scottish 80 shillings FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishwhiskey

Reaction score
Hello this is my second batch of Homebrew its been in the primary for 14 days now i took a Gravity reading and its at 1.020 the recipe says that the FG should be at 1.012-1.014. my Question is if i leave it another week will it still go down.
Now after i pitched the yeast i was having trouble keeping the carboy below 70 and for the first 5-8 hours it was sitting at 73 would this kill my yeast? do i need to repitch to get a lower reading?

I tasted the wort after the reading and it is not overly sweet and has a nice flavor.

Recipe:
Extract; 6Lbs of Gold LME
1Lbs Amber DME
Grain; 4oz Biscuit
8oz Caramel 40L
4oz Chocolate
2oz Special B
1oz Peated
hops; 1/2oz Challenger
1oz Fuggles
Yeast White Labs Liquid Edinburgn Ale #028:drunk:

No, 73 degrees won't kill your yeast, that takes over 140. I've seen quite a few extract brewers report that their beer wouldn't go below 1.020 for a final gravity. Yours may or may not but it won't hurt to give it the extra week because your warm ferment would have caused the yeast to throw some off flavors and the extra time on the yeast cake can help get rid of some of them.

Is this recipe by red beaver? I just started mine 80 shilling Scottish and the instructions said the rang is 65 to 75 F and for pitching the yeast it said to just have the temp below 80F

Let me know how it taste to if you would please I deploy next week for a month so it will be a while before I get to taste it.

No, 73 degrees won't kill your yeast, that takes over 140. I've seen quite a few extract brewers report that their beer wouldn't go below 1.020 for a final gravity. Yours may or may not but it won't hurt to give it the extra week because your warm ferment would have caused the yeast to throw some off flavors and the extra time on the yeast cake can help get rid of some of them.

Thanks I will was going to Keg it tomorrow and toss it in the keezer for 2 weeks would that be the same?

O ok cool mine was a partial mash I did two lme and was bored with it, wanted something more exciting so I went for it. If this turns out good for me ill do one more partial then look into all grain.

Thanks I will was going to Keg it tomorrow and toss it in the keezer for 2 weeks would that be the same?

No, kegging it takes the beer off the yeast that you need for cleanup and chilling it slows the process that make it mature. Sorry to tell you but making good beer is about good process and patience. If your process is good you don't need as much patience. The only problem is that it takes patience to get good at the process.

No, kegging it takes the beer off the yeast that you need for cleanup and chilling it slows the process that make it mature. Sorry to tell you but making good beer is about good process and patience. If your process is good you don't need as much patience. The only problem is that it takes patience to get good at the process.

Will Do thanks Ya waiting sucks lol

Back