Scotch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I'm standing down.

From WikiHow
The use of a small amount of water is common to open up the flavors of the spirit. Most whiskies produce a deeper, buttery or otherwise more complex flavor with the addition of even tiny quantities of water. Bottled water is preferred since the chlorine and dissolved minerals in tapwater can potentially taint the flavor of the whisky.

MikeFlynn74 said:
but you were right abou tthe Ice if that makes you feel better
:) Nothing wrong with a morning (for me anyways) scotch discussion

In the UK, the general rule is to drink it neat or with a splash of water (don't ever order it on the rocks unless you enjoy being the center of attention). I've gotten the impression from several UK Scotch enthusiasts (albeit, English) that it's more "manly" to drink it neat. Then I talked to a Scotsman who works in a single malt whiskey distillery (can't remember which one) and he said a splash of good water is best (to bring out the flavors and bouquet).

MULE said:
You lose a lot of taste characteristics in the whiskey when you add ice. I would be a little upset if I saw someone add ice to a good single malt. But, so you know I am not a total a$$hole.... I don't like harsh smokey flavors in my scotch. I would probably add a little ice to water that taste down a bit.

Danny, it's all about personal taste. Give The Glenlivet 12 a try. It has a nice mellow finish.

Hmm, that's weird. You follow up "YOU lose a lot of taste..." with "Danny, its all about PERSONAL taste". Interesting.

Tastes just fine to me with the rocks, so long as I dont wait too long to finish it. Its my hard earned money, I ought to be able to water the plants with it if I want. :D

Thirdeye said:
Hmm, that's weird. You follow up "YOU lose a lot of taste..." with "Danny, its all about PERSONAL taste". Interesting.

Tastes just fine to me with the rocks, so long as I dont wait too long to finish it. Its my hard earned money, I ought to be able to water the plants with it if I want. :D
Chalk it up to being early in the morning and spouting off. Sorry if it seems I was attacked you. It wasn't my intention.

IMO you lose a lot of taste when you add ice. The second part of that was meant to say do what you want.

Conditioned glass.
2 Fingers room temp Glenlivet 12YO.
Warm the glass in my palm.
1 ice cube.. watch it until it's nealry dissolved.
Sip and ENJOY.
Repeat

However, when it's stinking hot out, and I am not in the mood for beer, I mix
1/3 ice
1/3 water
1/3 Glenlivet 12YO
Sip and ENJOY
Repeat.

Finally finished my bottle of Glennlivet. Headed to the package store today to get another bottle. Wanna try something else. Ive called every store around looking for Isle of Jura and everyone is out. ARRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!

Anyone wanna recommend something else? Im thinking the Mcallan 15 yr or 12 yr. I wanna keep the price below $50. Oh boy, Im so excited!! :tank:

Thirdeye said:
A friend of mine recommended the Isle of Jura as well. How much does a bottle of that stuff run? I might try it next.
I just bought a bottle of Isle of Jura 10 yr at the recommendation of the local liquor store owner. I usually drink Macallan, and he offered to knock the price down to below that of his Macallan 12 yr. So, I'm sipping a bit of the Jura 10 yr right now, and it's not bad. The peat is a bit more distinct than I prefer, but it's growing on me. I'm not disappointed at all. It's got plenty of flavor for a relatively young whisky.

EdWort, based on your earlier stated preference, you should give this one a try.

Back