Scorched RIMS tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobb25

Reaction score
I seem to be able to find new and different ways to mess up my brewing equipment. Thiis afternoon, during the recirculating mash, my nose altered me that there was trouble in river city. It seems an air bubble had interrupted the flow of wort, and the RIMS tube caked itself with the burned remnants of my wort. The tube is approx. 2 " stainless steel, with a try clover fitting in the middle, and a typical 120 volt electric heating element. I tried recirculating a strong brewery cleaner, but it didn't do much. I would prefer a chemical solution, however barring that I guess I will have to take this thing all apart, I can abrade the electric element to get it clean, but how do I clean the inside of the stainless steel tube. Grrrr.

Try soaking it in undiluted star san. Use gloves. This was advise I got for cleaning a baked heating element. It might be true for the rims tube.

No!! Do not use an acid for organic matter removal. A caustic is a much better option. PBW is okay, but lye solution may be needed.

The next concern is: why did the wort burn?? You have flow and/or power modulation problems.

Last edited:
I did a Witbier with raw wheat, and started with a rest at 122. When I used my RIMS tube to take it up to 154 I thought my house was on fire. Never again. The element was coated with a thick layer of charred sludge.

I did multiple soaks in concentrates Alkaline brewery wash and used some copper scrubbers to get the rest.

It came off, but it was the worst.

I did a Witbier with raw wheat, and started with a rest at 122. When I used my RIMS tube to take it up to 154 I thought my house was on fire. Never again. The element was coated with a thick layer of charred sludge.

I did multiple soaks in concentrates Alkaline brewery wash and used some copper scrubbers to get the rest.

It came off, but it was the worst.
Unfortunately when it comes to step mashing those types of adjuncts from that temp, This is an issue even the lowest watt density elements struggle with as a slimy buildup coats the elements. Ive run into it my myself with rye and had to dump 100 gallons of wort at the pub.

Just made a wheat beer over the weekend. I didn’t think I had any problems. It was 50% wheat 50% Pilsner. Mashed in at around 113 and ramped to 154 then 168. I never smelled any burning or noticed any problems at all.

After reading this thread though it reminded me that I never took the cap off my rims after cleaning it. I recirculated pbw at 150 for a while. Took the cap off and noticed a bunch of blackish slime all over the rims. It wiped off real easy and was clean, but looks like I got bit too.

Thanks, could you indicate how much boiling water you would add in your size batch to go up to 154?

That will vary a lot. Here’s a screen shot of the infusion tool found in Beersmith. There’s a bunch of variables to consider.

Attachments

• 55ED8CD4-737E-4880-B378-D24E5F94CC09.png
    55ED8CD4-737E-4880-B378-D24E5F94CC09.png
    347 KB · Views: 10
It will depend a lot on your malt-bill, but here is what I am doing.

Attachments

• Mash-in.jpg
    Mash-in.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 6
I gave up and don't use my RIMS when I make wheat beers. If someone has a solution I would also love to hear it.

Rye and wheat are also problem with my RIMS. It can handle wheat, but there is build up on the element and it will scorch if I brew back to back batches without cleaning it. With that in mind, I avoid using it with wheat and I never trust rye. If I do use it, I recirculate without heat until some conversion has taken place and the wort is starting to clear.

I have had scorching issues in the past too. Seemed to be more of problem for me when I had lower flow and also lower mashing temps. I have switched to the new version of ez-boil where I can control the max percent of power to the RIMS element during mashing and higher flow rates and that has helped.

I had also just mashed in like a traditional mashtun and allow the mash to convert for 20min without recirculating to get a clearer wort before turning on the RIMS and that worked too.

Paying attention to not having too low of a flow or not having the element on without flow helps. I try to turn off the RIMS for a minute or so before turning off the pump.

Rye and wheat are also problem with my RIMS. It can handle wheat, but there is build up on the element and it will scorch if I brew back to back batches without cleaning it. With that in mind, I avoid using it with wheat and I never trust rye. If I do use it, I recirculate without heat until some conversion has taken place and the wort is starting to clear.

Rye for me burned horribly. My element was black and near impossible to clean.

I tried wheat for the first time last weekend. It didn’t seem like anything burned. There was some slimy chunks stuck to the element, but they all wiped off easily with a paper towel.

Is there any problem with the slimy wheat assuming it doesn’t burn?

I've made beers with 10% wheat without a problem. The Witbier that gave me issues was 40% Unmalted wheat and 5% Flaked Oats. Punched me straight in the face.

Is there any problem with the slimy wheat assuming it doesn’t burn?

The problem is the potential for it to burn. This is where a double brew day caused my issue. The slime on the element develops on the first mash, but no scorching. If not wiped off, the slime burns during the second mash.

I also want to add that like ba-brewer, my PID has a setting to limit the ON % during ramp up

Back