Scorched Barleywine: Toss or Age? (Vote!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keep or toss the scorched barleywine?

• Keep

• Toss

Results are only viewable after voting.

seatbelt123

Reaction score
Sad day for me. I took my first gravity reading of a big ol' barleywine and confirmed what I had suspected on brew day: I scorched my beer.

The scorched aroma and tasted are unmistakable. I think even a casual beer drinker would pick it out and pshaw at my beer. Though I'll also add that I can pick up this great sweetness and hop bitterness.

Why I'm torn: (a) It clearly would have been a good (great?) barleywine and (b) my plan was to bottle and age for years, enjoying one each on my son's bday. But now I'm left with a beer that is off target... or will long term aging fix this?

So help me decide:
a. Keep, bottle and try it next year.
b. Toss, brew the beer that you should have had.

Thanks!

I wouldn't toss it - but I'd go ahead and do the brew "you should have had" as well.

Consider the fried brew an experiment for which you've already paid. I think I'd split the batch, rack one half on top of wood, and let both halves age, checking occasionally to see if there's been any improvement.

If you go a few months and no joy, then dump it. But who knows, you may get lucky...

Cheers!

Bottle and age it, nothing to lose and the possibility of having a beer that ages beautifully is a huge up!

Give it a year for sure! Some people age them 5-10!years and notice nothing but improvement

These are great ideas... Double Rauchbier. That is hilarious and may use that on the label. I also like the idea of splitting the batch with two additives. Keep 'em coming. :)

Don't dump it. If I think I ruined a beer I bottle it in one gallon carboys to save myself the effort of potentially bottling ruined beer.

American and Hungarian oak cubes have mellowed out harsh high gravity beers for me in the past so you may want to look into oaking.

One last idea; try mixing a little with a dry mead and see if you've made an acceptable (nontraditional) braggot.

I guess what I'm getting at is use your screw-ups as a chance to experiment. Even if you've ultimately concocted an unpalatable grog, the opportunity to learn can help offset the discouragement and rekindle the spirit for experimentation.

*Also, if this is your first gravity reading, that would imply the beer is still young and will benefit from aging*

Back