Science of Beer Weekend in Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarnoBrewer

Reaction score
I posted this in the Beer Science thread, but this may be a better spot.

My day job is teaching at an outdoor science school or the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI). On October 22-24, we're collaborating with Rogue Brewery to host a Science of Beer weekend at our camp in Central Oregon. It's like camp for grown-ups! Rogue will be bringing in some experts, we may have an expert from WyEast, and a professor of fermentology from OSU will be speaking. It should be an awesome event. If you're in the area, check out OMSI's website to register.

However, I'm also looking for some help. Since I'm the in-house homebrewer, I've been asked to put together a workshop on homebrew methods. My vision is to have 4 or 5 brewers with different set-ups all displaying and talking about their rigs. For instance, my cheapo cooler set-up, a 3-tier, and then maybe a HERMS or RIMS set-up. Are there any brewers in the Pacific Northwest that would be interested in participating? You'd be provided with food and lodging, entrance to the weekend, and probably a few other perks as well.

Let me know if you're interested!

Josh Cronin

Three questions...
1. I see tent and cabin availability. Is there anywhere I could park my travel trailer?
2. I guess it depends on the majority of those in attendence but would you want to do a very basic display also? Something that most of us noobs start out with... Basic brewpot using extracts, etc. Show the difference between extract, partial mash and all grain.
3. I'm so new that it may not be too smart to have someone like me displaying equipment and talking about it with any kind of authority (on the other hand, maybe it would be good to show that a beginner can still make some pretty decent beer). If I am able to get the days off and head out there, is there anything else that someone like me can do to help? I may be a beginner brewer but I'm pretty handy with lots of other stuff!

Certainly sounds like fun and my wife is an OMSI member. Unfortunately, not an option this time.

Anyone is welcome to register and attend. It looks like I may have nearly all of the brewers I have space for in terms of presenting, but registration is definitely still open and I'd love to see you all there! Check out the link above for a brief description and a link to registration.

I have some brewers lined up, but I still have openings for one or two more. I'm hoping to find someone with a 3-tier or a single-tier setup that they'd like to show off and brew with at our Science of Beer weekend. If you volunteer, admission is free and there will be some other perks as well. PM me here or email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks!

-Josh

Just a bump up to say that while our spots for presenters are full, there are still open spots for attendees! Please visit omsi.edu/scienceofbeer to register. It's going to be a great weekend!

-Josh

Back