Schramm's Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
simple economics of supply and demand also say that you guys should be charging more. I hate to say it as an avid fan, but I know plenty of people who dabble in the grey secondary markets and a lot of your amazing mead is swapped like commodities for prices that make me question if I really want to open a bottle vs sell it (I always fall on the side of open...I'm always amazed that anyone is willing to trade anything that you make let alone sell). I appreciate you doing what you can to keep prices down, but if it means production growth with the same quality, I'm all in favor of getting there sooner than later.

That's kind of a double edge sword. I love hod but will I pay $200,$300 , or a $1,000??? No. But some freak living in his parents basment will and will flip it for world of Warcraft hand jobs. Supply and demand only go so far until you push away the people who created the demand, thus the supply. I love schramms more than the next guy but at some point there has to be an end. Will all mazer club members also own European cars at some point ?

My goal is to increase production to meet demand. This will probably never happen - because our stuff is intrinsically delicious to human beings (and Blood Elves, apparently) and there is manual labor involved in making it. However, we will always try to sell our product at a price reasonably linked to the cost of production ('tHoD' is always going to cost more than 'The Statement', 'Black Heart' is always going to cost more than 'Raspberry'). Whether we have 1 acre of Schaerbeeks or 100, we'll always be picking the fruit one cherry at a time and caring for our trees like the world's best viticulturists do for their vines. I still want 100, though...

That's kind of a double edge sword. I love hod but will I pay $200,$300 , or a $1,000??? No. But some freak living in his parents basment will and will flip it for world of Warcraft hand jobs. Supply and demand only go so far until you push away the people who created the demand, thus the supply. I love schramms more than the next guy but at some point there has to be an end. Will all mazer club members also own European cars at some point ?

I agree. It pains me that these secondary markets exist in hobbies I love...and many times they have priced me out. I blame the people who pay the crazy prices for incentivizing someone to go out and make a quick buck, but it is hard to really fault anyone since at the end of the day that's what people do if they want something and have the means. some producers are very aware and have upped their prices, even retail does their share of gouging when they know that the odds are that the person "following the truck" is probably a flipper or that the gouged prices are at or below grey markets.

as an out of stater who trades for schramm's I don't have the luxury of getting to wake up early, get in line, and pay retail. on occassion, regular trade partners look out but it gets tough w all the demand and "value" to be made in trade/sale/auction/raffle/whatever that even those relationships fizzle (dontdrinkbeer has that amazing meme about your trade partner saying they got shut out and then you recognize their counter top in an auction picture). but you are right, higher prices will just mean less access for most of us. It just sucks that some middle man is making money that schrams could/should make.

I agree. It pains me that these secondary markets exist in hobbies I love...and many times they have priced me out. I blame the people who pay the crazy prices for incentivizing someone to go out and make a quick buck, but it is hard to really fault anyone since at the end of the day that's what people do if they want something and have the means. some producers are very aware and have upped their prices, even retail does their share of gouging when they know that the odds are that the person "following the truck" is probably a flipper or that the gouged prices are at or below grey markets.

as an out of stater who trades for schramm's I don't have the luxury of getting to wake up early, get in line, and pay retail. on occassion, regular trade partners look out but it gets tough w all the demand and "value" to be made in trade/sale/auction/raffle/whatever that even those relationships fizzle (dontdrinkbeer has that amazing meme about your trade partner saying they got shut out and then you recognize their counter top in an auction picture). but you are right, higher prices will just mean less access for most of us. It just sucks that some middle man is making money that schrams could/should make.
there is no gouging in beer or mead

I drive a Prius. I am a different kind of stuck up.
ivDHaIznB978c.gif

How is the bottling line working James? I saw your face on Instagram. Naegerbomb

Working great - just got it leveled, cleaned, and steam sanitized for the first time - then adjusted the heights and the corker for the skinny 375 "Bellissima" bottle (e.g. Black Agnes, Red Agnes, Amelia, Madeline, etc). We're working next on loading the labels and capsules now, hopefully we'll bottle some Red Agnes after we eat here.

Working great - just got it leveled, cleaned, and steam sanitized for the first time - then adjusted the heights and the corker for the skinny 375 "Bellissima" bottle (e.g. Black Agnes, Red Agnes, Amelia, Madeline, etc). We're working next on loading the labels and capsules now, hopefully we'll bottle some Red Agnes after we eat here.
raw

Had an amazing time this weekend! I have never experienced a mead lineup quite like that (and probably never will again haha). My body hates me this Monday morning, but no regrets :)

Thanks again Naegerbomb !

(EDIT: Lord Jim and The Response were an excellent play on the traditional offerings. I kept revisiting A Smile of Fortune and Sarah. And having the Apples side by side was truly a unique experience. So much great mead in one weekend! :))

Last edited:
To echo what BoatsAndHoes said, this weekend was fantastic. The most insane list I think I have ever seen and almost everything lasted through Sunday brunch. The brunch food pairings were perfect as always. The staff ran like a well oiled machine even though the place was packed most of the time I was there.

Best Schrammiversary yet.

How soon in advance are schramms events announced? I'd absolutely love to go to one but keep finding out too late!

How soon in advance are schramms events announced? I'd absolutely love to go to one but keep finding out too late!
They usually give members a little bit more advance warning, so you may hear something floating around ahead of time but otherwise typically just a few weeks. Except you can always expect something on Mead Day (first Saturday of August) to be a happenin time in ferndale.

After reading through this entire thread over the last few days, I can't wait until the next time I'm in Michigan to get some Schramm's. Great discussion - can't wait to hear more!

I hope the next time the Mazer Club opens up, I'm near a computer because I want in! I have one bottle of the Raspberry I picked up a few weeks ago and I think I'll be opening it this weekend based on all the talk here. Cheers everyone!

After reading through this entire thread over the last few days, I can't wait until the next time I'm in Michigan to get some Schramm's. Great discussion - can't wait to hear more!

I hope the next time the Mazer Club opens up, I'm near a computer because I want in! I have one bottle of the Raspberry I picked up a few weeks ago and I think I'll be opening it this weekend based on all the talk here. Cheers everyone!
Happy to send you anything. Send me a message

Happy to send you anything. Send me a message

Very much appreciated, but my family lives in NW Ohio and I make it there a few times a year. I have actually created a Google map of all the locations listed on the website for distribution. Happy to share with anyone who's wanting to check it out!

Thanks for the offer! Very generous of you!

Very much appreciated, but my family lives in NW Ohio and I make it there a few times a year. I have actually created a Google map of all the locations listed on the website for distribution. Happy to share with anyone who's wanting to check it out!

Thanks for the offer! Very generous of you!

oooo buddy. dat website is yesterday's news, doe. have I got a dataset for you...

Lay it on me... I got spare time.

Everybody in Michigan:

8 Degrees Plato Beer Company
8 Degrees Plato Detroit
Wine Town
9 & Hilton Market
A&L Wine Castle
Action Liquor
Ale Mary's
Alger Deli & Liquor
All Season's Market
Amoris Liquor
Antonio's Liquor
Appolonia's
Arbor Farms
Bacchus Wine & Spirits
Bar Divani
Baxter's
Beer Baron
Beer World
Bella Vino Fine Wine
Bellavino's Party Store
Berkley Fine Wine & Liquor
Big Ten Party Store (Lansing-Oadies)
Big Ten Party Store (Okemos)
Blue Front
Brass Mug Liquor
Brew House
Brown Iron Brewhouse
Campbell Liquor Store
Cap & Cork
Cloverleaf Fine Wine
Coppervine
Cork 'N' Ale Midland (Oppermann's)
Corner Market & Spirits
Creston Market Inc.
Crunchy's
Cultivate Coffee & Tap House
D. Schuler's
Dexter Party Store
Discount Drinks
Drake's Party Center
Dusty's Cellars
Embassy Market
Eve
Falsetta's Market
Farmington Hills Wine & Liquor
Frank's
French Landing Liquor
Fresh Thyme Farmer's Market
G.S. Market
GB Russo & Son Ltd
Get-N-Go
GVL West
Hills Fine Wine and Spirits
Holiday Market Canton
Holiday Market Wine Shoppe
Holiday Market Select
Hollywood Markets 6
Hollywood Markets 1
Hollywood Markets 7
HopCat Ann Arbor
Hopcat Detroit
Hopcat East Lansing
Hopcat Grand Rapids
Horrocks (Grand Rapids)
Horrocks (Lansing)
Huckleberry Party Store
Ideal Party Store, Inc. (N. Johnson St.)
Jake's Liquor
Joe's Party Store
Joe's Produce
John's Market
Johnny Mac's
Kalamazoo Beer Exchange
Kingma's Produce
Ladd's & Co
Lager Mill Beer Store & Brewing Museum
Late Night Party Store
Liquor Cabinet
Local Kitchen
Main Party Shoppe
Maria's Liquor
Maria's Market Place
Martha's Vineyard
Meadows Fine Wine & Liquor
Mel's Party Store
Merchant's Fine Wine
Merchant's Fine Wine GP
ML Spirits
Mudgie's
Mug & Jug
Napa Valley Beverage Co.
Nino Salvaggio
Nino Salvaggio - Clinton Township
Novi Fine Wine
Off The Wagon
Oppermann's Cork 'N' Ale
Orion Keg and Wine
Orion Market
Pacific Rim
Papa Joe's Gourmet Market Birmingham
Papa Joe's Gourmet Market Rochester Hills
Park Place Liquor
Parkway Beverage
Party Palace
Pauly's
Picolo's Party Shoppe
Pineridge Market
Plum Market Ann Arbor
Plum Market Ann Arbor North Campus
Plum Market Bloomfield
Plum Market West Bloomfield
POUR
Red Wagon Shoppe
Red Wagon Wine Shoppe
Repetes
Reserve Spirits
Ric's Food Center (Mount Pleasant)
Rishi's International Beverage
Riverside Liquors
Rochester Tap Room
Royal Liquor (Flint)
Royal Liquor Fine Wine
Royal Spirits
Sabourin's Pharmacy
Shell Gas Station
Siciliano's Market
Simply Wine
Smitty's
Spike & Mike's Party Store
Sprinkle Wine and Spirits
Super Fine Wine & Liquor
Super Liquor
Super Liquor IV
Sylvan Fine Wine & Liquor Shoppe
The Liquor Book
The Michigan Taproom (at Stardust Lanes)
The Wine Guy
The Wine Seller
The Wurst Bar
Three Blind Mice Irish Pub
Tiffany's Wine & Spirit Shoppe
Tippins Specialty Wine & Food
Tom's Party Store
Top Shelf Liquor
Top Shelf Spirits (Belmont)
Tuscan Liquor and Deli
Vega Market
Village Corner
Village Party Store
Village Wine Shop
Vine & Brew
Westborn Market Berkley
Westborn Market Dearborn
Westborn Market Livonia
Whole Foods Market Arb
Whole Foods Market Cranbrook
Whole Foods Market Detroit
Whole Foods Market Rochester Hills
Whole Foods Market Troy (Somerset Place)
Whole Foods Market West Bloomfield
William's Party Store
Wine Barrel Plus
Wine Castle
Wine Palace
Woods Wholesale Wine
Ypsilanti Food Co-Op
Zellars Party Store
Zetouna Liquor
Zingerman's Roadhouse

Everybody in Ohio:

101 Bottles
Aficionados
Agitators Alley
Ameristop - Lancaster
Andersons - East
Andersons - Maumee
Andersons - North
Andersons - Sylvania
Andersons - Talmadge
Arrow - 725
Arrow - Oakwood
Athens West End Cider House
Attic, The # %
Aurora Wine & Spirit
Barley Hopsters %
Barrs Public House # %
Bayshore Beverage
BCs Bottle Lodge
Bee Gees
Bellavino
Belmont Party Supply
Black Cloister
Brass Tap - U Square #
Brentwood Spirits
Buckeye Beer Engine
Cappys Carryout
Centerville Carryout
Chalet Premier
Chucks Fine Wines
Corks Wine & Liqour
Crafted & Cured
Crafted Drafts - Gahanna
Dorothy Lane - Springboro
E Z Shop
Express Stop - BG
Fine Wine & Tobacco
Fine Wine & True Spirits
Gathering
Giuseppes Wine Cellar
Holloway Liquor
Josephs
Jungle Jims - Eastgate
Jungle Jims - Fairfield
Kengos
Kenny Road Market
Kent Cheesemonger
Larrys Drive Thru and Mini Mart
Liquor & Wine Warehouse
Lizardville - Bedford
Lizardville - Copley
Lizardville - Lakewood
Lizardville - Westerville
Lock 27 - Centerville
Lord Jim's Party Palace
Lucky Turtle
Macks Beverage
Marathon - White Oak
Martys Hops Vines
Middletown Fine Wine and Spirits
Miles Farmers Market
More 4 Less - Broadview
Mustard Seed - Solon
North Court Beverage
Old Markethouse Inn
Ollies Place
Packard Museum
Party Connection
Paula Brown Shop
Pies & Pints - Dayton
Pies & Pints - Easton
Portage Lakes Brewing Co
Red Wine & Brew - Chesterland
Red Wine & Brew - Mentor
Registry Bistro
Revolution Grille
Root Cellar %
Rozis - Lakewood
Save On Tobacco & Beverage
Savor Growl
Simones
Small City Tap House
Sunoco - Turney
Swig # %
The Barrel and Bottle LLC
The Brew Kettle - Strongsville
The Feve
The Market - Columbus
The Wine Spot
Time Out
Toledo Mudhens Stadium
Village Pump
Vino Bellissimo
Vintage Estate Wines
Webbers Market
Weilands Market
Whole Foods - Arlington
Whole Foods - Dayton
Whole Foods - Dublin
Whole Foods - Easton
Whole Foods - Mason
Whole Foods - Oakley
Whole Foods - Rocky River
Whole Foods - University Heights
Whole Foods - Woodmere
Wine & Liquor Depot
Winerak Market
Wyoming Wines

The list is as up-to-date as far as anybody on this planet knows. Some retailers might have ordered and sold out - and some just can't stay in stock on everything because they're going through it faster than we can supply. I don't keep up-to-date inventory at each of them anymore, it was too much work.

Everybody in Michigan:

The list is as up-to-date as far as anybody on this planet knows. Some retailers might have ordered and sold out - and some just can't stay in stock on everything because they're going through it faster than we can supply. I don't keep up-to-date inventory at each of them anymore, it was too much work.

Wow! I'll work on a new map over the next few days and post the public link here if anyone is interested. You weren't kidding when the website list was old news. Great to see, congrats!

Wow! I'll work on a new map over the next few days and post the public link here if anyone is interested. You weren't kidding when the website list was old news. Great to see, congrats!

Ok, so I took the Naegerbomb post above and did as much as I could with a Google Map to create an easy search tool I plan on using for my own benefit once I'm in Michigan and Ohio. I can't guarantee the accuracy of some of the places since there are a lot of "party store," "wine store," and "liquor store" type businesses in college towns (weird...) so I apologize in advance if the map is **** or has incorrect pins. If I had a doubt (like on Lord Jim's Party Palace - I had no idea, and google was the same), I tended to leave them out so I'm hoping that gives a more accurate map. If anyone sees anything glaringly bad about it, I can amend as needed.

Hope it's helpful, I certainly can't wait to use it - and thanks Naegerbomb for the data!

Schramm's Updated - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JKv0iz3H39Mhw7mvJMndYS480R0&usp=sharing

Ok, so I took the Naegerbomb post above and did as much as I could with a Google Map to create an easy search tool I plan on using for my own benefit once I'm in Michigan and Ohio. I can't guarantee the accuracy of some of the places since there are a lot of "party store," "wine store," and "liquor store" type businesses in college towns (weird...) so I apologize in advance if the map is **** or has incorrect pins. If I had a doubt (like on Lord Jim's Party Palace - I had no idea, and google was the same), I tended to leave them out so I'm hoping that gives a more accurate map. If anyone sees anything glaringly bad about it, I can amend as needed.

Hope it's helpful, I certainly can't wait to use it - and thanks Naegerbomb for the data!

Schramm's Updated - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JKv0iz3H39Mhw7mvJMndYS480R0&usp=sharing

Wow! This is awesome!!!

You've done a far more thorough job than I ever could have imagined. Very cool, thank you for sharing it!

P.S. Lord Jim's Party Palace is in Ferndale, MI :D

Thanks! Glad you like it!

I just tried a search for Lord Jim's using all kinds of different methods, but I'm not having any luck... Maybe that's where we can find all the Lord Jim mead that's left and it's a secret hideaway? If that's a yes, sign me up!

Getting back on track, Naegerbomb - given the expanded distribution into Ohio, are you expecting to expand any distribution into Wisconsin, Indiana, Pennsylvania, or Kentucky in the near or not so near future?

Probably not for a while. Currently, 85% our sales are in four counties in metro Detroit, with about 5% going to our distributor on the west side and 10% going to Ohio. I allocate everything to our distributors, otherwise they would order everything and I would be up a creek without any mead. Our Ohio distributor routinely puts in requests for pallet quantities and I have to politely sell them 10 cases or so, which makes me feel really awkward and small potatoes - but also humbled by the demand that is out there. I'm hoping to just fill orders that I have - but there isn't even enough to go around in metro Detroit sometimes. We're working on at least doubling production in 2017 (although we've already tripled in 2016).

Probably not for a while. Currently, 85% our sales are in four counties in metro Detroit, with about 5% going to our distributor on the west side and 10% going to Ohio. I allocate everything to our distributors, otherwise they would order everything and I would be up a creek without any mead. Our Ohio distributor routinely puts in requests for pallet quantities and I have to politely sell them 10 cases or so, which makes me feel really awkward and small potatoes - but also humbled by the demand that is out there. I'm hoping to just fill orders that I have - but there isn't even enough to go around in metro Detroit sometimes. We're working on at least doubling production in 2017 (although we've already tripled in 2016).

Thanks for the response - that's great!

P.S. you have one less bottle of Nutmeg in Columbus, Ohio thanks to my brother. Maybe that means another pallet order of 375ml Nutmeg on its way...

I wonder how much of a headache it is to try to get mead distributed into PA. I'm not even sure who would sell it.

Talk to the Colony. Outside of direct sales, they'll tell you it is easier to sell their mead in New Jersey than PA (where only select SKUs are sold through state stores). Damn antiquated laws and non-consumer focused politicians.

Back