Schmitz Hochkurz Decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged this morning, OG was a little higher than I was hoping for at 1.015 but the hydro sample tasted very good. Malty and very clear light copper color. I'll post a picture of the final product and give a review in about a month and a half.

Brewed up my Bo Pils today and everything went pretty well, just a few blurps. I over shot my first sac rest by 2 degrees (152) but cooled it down with some cold water to bring it back down to 150. The second rest was also a little high at 157 but just left the lid off and stirred for awhile til it came down where I wanted it at 155.

Mash efficiency was at 84%, so I'm pretty happy with that, didn't even do a sparge.

Hot break was pretty much non existent and cold break settled out real quick, no big globs of protien. Looks like it will be a nice golden colored Pils.

This single decoction adds about 1 hour to my brew day but if the beer turns out better it will be worth it.

FG of my Pils was 1.012, right where I wanted it. I thought it might of been a little high because I overshot mash temps. Hydro sample was nice and clear and tasted great. Kegged and into the lagering fridge for the next 6/weeks.

Next up is a Dunkel with 95% Munich, 5% Pils and a touch of carafa III for color.

It will be interesting to see what turns out after boiling mostly Munich, rich in melandoin, for 40 minutes.

Just finished my Dunkel. Everything went great, 84% mash efficiency. I was a little worried about the color, it looked dark in the kettle but the hydro sample looks just about right.

So far I've done 3 batches with this Schmitz process, a Pils with a 20 min boil, a Ofest with a 30 min boil and a Dunkel with a 40 min boil. Can't wait to taste them, still have a couple weeks for the first one.

1407704675021.jpg

It will be interesting to see what turns out after boiling mostly Munich, rich in melandoin, for 40 minutes.

Yeah, I was thinking of cutting the boil back a bit but after tasting a few Dunkels they seem very sweet so I'm going for the gusto! Malty malty malty. I can always cut back on the next one and these first 3 beers should help me deterime where I need to go.

Here it is, my first Schmitz beer. Its been lagering for just about 4 weeks at 34 degrees.

Looks to be a nice crystal clear gold to light cooper color with a nice white foamy head and decent lacing.

Taste is definitely malty along with the aroma. Also a hint of caramel. Very smooth and balanced. I'm liking this a lot.

I think I'll continue with this process for awhile and play with different sacc rest temps and or boil times.

Next brew up is a 50/50 Pils/Munich. I want just a bit more color than this one that was 60/40. I may extend the boil to 2 hours as well.

1408738215947.jpg

1408738245300.jpg

Here's my Bo Pils, a little light colored but it was 100% Pils malt and I wanted to see if this decoction would make it s bit darker, well I don't think it did. Still tastes great and the aroma is just like an imported German Pils.

Nice lacing. Crystal clear and a well balanced beer. I think this is one of my best Pils I've made, I will continue to tweak this Schmitz decoction.

1411331654774.jpg

Back