Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen = WOW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierGut

Reaction score
I've been thinking about brewing a Rauchbier, and I feel it's always good practice to try a few commercial examples first, so I picked up a bottle. This is just an amazing, well balanced, clean, smokey, refreshing beer.

My grist would be something like: 85% Rauchmalt w/some Munich, Carafa III and Carafoam making up the other 15%. Maybe some WLP860 yeast?

I was just curious what others thoughts were on the style, recipes, and Schlenkerla Rauchbier in particular.

Cheers everyone, it's Friday. :tank:

Rauchmalt is a different animal than other malts. Freshness really matters, and that makes it hard to adjust recipes. I would probably go with 50% fresh rauchmalt, Munich and maybe some CaraVienna. This is what I call my Maibock, it's pale but strong. Don't get carried away with hops, a good bittering hop like Perle or Magnum is all you need. I've used White labs bock yeast for this beer with good success.

Rauchmalt is a different animal than other malts. Freshness really matters, and that makes it hard to adjust recipes. I would probably go with 50% fresh rauchmalt, Munich and maybe some CaraVienna. This is what I call my Maibock, it's pale but strong. Don't get carried away with hops, a good bittering hop like Perle or Magnum is all you need. I've used White labs bock yeast for this beer with good success.

Yeah that's the thing with smoked malt. I've had some commercial vareties that taste like viscous hotdog water. My IBUs are pretty low. I thought about using 1oz. Hersbrucker FWH, 90 min boil then another oz at 30 min. That'll give me ~18-19 IBU

MMmm one of my favorite style! For the rauch malt, I recommend Weyermann or best maltz (beechwood smoked) if you want similar taste of Schlenkerla. Cherrysmoked malt like Briess, is a bit too bacony/smoked ham for me.

If you really like smoke 80% is fine, mine was 97% rauchmalt.:mug:

IIRC, true Bamberg Rauchbiers use close to 100% Rauchmalz. I tried to clone one using 96% Weyermann Rauchmalz, 2% each of Melanoidin and Carafa II. Hallertau and Wyeast 2308. It turned out great, but not nearly as smoky as a Schlenkerla. Corky's point about freshness is valid, and my guess is that the malt was not very fresh (it's a long boat ride from Germany). And Schlenkerla smokes their own malt, so they can dial up the smokiness if they want.

Edit: This is the recipe I used, with a few tweaks (WY2308 instead of WL 838, a bit of Melanoidin for head)

I've used ~80% in my classic rauchs. That first was with fresh Best Malz rauch (full sack, straight from NCMS). It was in the ball park of Schlenkerla but not quite there. I believe Schlenkerla's grist is 100% smoked, so it's hard to over shoot the smokiness. You have to imagine they are using the freshest possible rauchmalt as well. I used the same Best Malz rauchmalt a couple of years later, aslo at 80%, still quite smoky but has obviously lost some of the strength.

If you want Schlenkerla-like my recommendation would be use at least 80% fresh german beechwood smoked rauchmalt. Don't be afraid to go up to 100%, or close.

I smoke my own malt so that may be the difference. The first Rauchbier I made tasted like charcoal, and I bought the malt from morebeer. Since I started smoking my own stuff 50% is plenty. I've also noticed that the smokiness builds after a couple of months, not sure why but I always lager this for at least a couple of months.
My understanding is that Schlenkerla doesn't actually smoke their malt as we do, they kiln it over wood so it's not sitting in a smoke bath for a couple of hours like my malt does. I'm not sure what process Weyermann uses.

MMmm one of my favorite style! For the rauch malt, I recommend Weyermann or best maltz (beechwood smoked) if you want similar taste of Schlenkerla. Cherrysmoked malt like Briess, is a bit too bacony/smoked ham for me.

If you really like smoke 80% is fine, mine was 97% rauchmalt.:mug:

I know, right. It was so friggin good.

I smoke my own malt so that may be the difference. The first Rauchbier I made tasted like charcoal, and I bought the malt from morebeer. Since I started smoking my own stuff 50% is plenty. I've also noticed that the smokiness builds after a couple of months, not sure why but I always lager this for at least a couple of months.
My understanding is that Schlenkerla doesn't actually smoke their malt as we do, they kiln it over wood so it's not sitting in a smoke bath for a couple of hours like my malt does. I'm not sure what process Weyermann uses.

What type of wood are you using to smoke your malt?

Bamberg was my favorite spot in Germany, certainly beer-wise. I love smoke beers (and whiskey), and have made a few. I have something like a Schlenkerla on tap now but it used Ale yeast and oak smoked wheat, it's not bad. I definitely prefer beechwood or cherry smoked malt. I have a peat smoked porter in my recipe dropdown that's pretty fantastic.

I noticed the same thing with mine, but from bottle-conditioning. After 3 weeks in bottles the smoke level was there, but kind of muted. That, despite the fact that I had lagered it for over 2 months. But after another couple months in bottles, the smokiness is starting to pop. Not to the level of a Schlenkerla, but it is really tasty now.

I've already told my wife that I'm treating her to lunch tomorrow at the bottle shop where I picked up the Schlenkerla. It looked like they had some of the helles lager and maybe one other style.

I've tried several, once I made identical 10 gallon batches with apple and pecan smoked malts. I served them both at our annual Oktoberfest and the overwhelming preference was for the pecan smoked bock. The first keg of it was gone in an hour, it took almost another 45 minutes for the apple to be gone.

I've already told my wife that I'm treating her to lunch tomorrow at the bottle shop where I picked up the Schlenkerla. It looked like they had some of the helles lager and maybe one other style.

If they have the Schlenkerla Eiche (oak), try that one. It's a smoke-bomb, but very tasty.

I might have to learn to smoke my own malts and make some oak-smoked.

The helles isn't smoked; some say that it still tastes a bit smoky, because it's made using the same equipment, but the one time I had it, I didn't get any smoke at all. It was good, but if it's been sitting on the shelf a while, you may want to pass.

If they have the Schlenkerla Eiche (oak), try that one. It's a smoke-bomb, but very tasty.

I might have to learn to smoke my own malts and make some oak-smoked.

I had that last year. Amazing. The maerzen was my favorite before I tried that.

ETA: I'm really surprised there isn't an American brewery doing a smoke bomb with brewery smoked malts in the vein of Schlenkerla. With all the crazy experimentation our breweries are doing this should be a no brainer. Maybe its happening and I just don't know about it?

ETA: I'm really surprised there isn't an American brewery doing a smoke bomb with brewery smoked malts in the vein of Schlenkerla. With all the crazy experimentation our breweries are doing this should be a no brainer. Maybe its happening and I just don't know about it?

There's a brewery near me, called Hammerheart, doing just that. Big beers and lots of experimentation with smoke and peated malts, peppers, barrel aging, etc. Smoked porters, smoked stouts, smoked red ales, smoked pale ales. You name it, they put smoke into it.

I love smoked beers! Just made a smoked porter with about 25% bestmalz smoked malt. It's nice and the smokiness is definitely there but next time I am going to go around 40% smoked malt I think. I'm making a 95% bestmalz smoked malt lager next weekend and I intend to oak smoke some german pale ale for an Eiche type rauchbier too.

I love smoked beers! Just made a smoked porter with about 25% bestmalz smoked malt. It's nice and the smokiness is definitely there but next time I am going to go around 40% smoked malt I think. I'm making a 95% bestmalz smoked malt lager next weekend and I intend to oak smoke some german pale ale for an Eiche type rauchbier too.

Let us know how oak-smoking the malt works out. I'd like to try doing that.

IIRC, true Bamberg Rauchbiers use close to 100% Rauchmalz. I tried to clone one using 96% Weyermann Rauchmalz, 2% each of Melanoidin and Carafa II. Hallertau and Wyeast 2308. It turned out great, but not nearly as smoky as a Schlenkerla. Corky's point about freshness is valid, and my guess is that the malt was not very fresh (it's a long boat ride from Germany). And Schlenkerla smokes their own malt, so they can dial up the smokiness if they want.

Edit: This is the recipe I used, with a few tweaks (WY2308 instead of WL 838, a bit of Melanoidin for head)

Reviving . . . @MaxStout do you mind posting the recipe? Link is dead. Wondering if you have made subsequent tweaks to this as well.

Reviving . . . @MaxStout do you mind posting the recipe? Link is dead. Wondering if you have made subsequent tweaks to this as well.

The link worked for me, but below is my slightly tweaked version in case that link still doesn't work for you. Sorry if the BS text-to-HBT-paste looks a little wonky.

Not many differences between the linked recipe and mine. I scaled to 5.25 gal, did a single infusion instead of a decoction, added a bit of melanoidin. The linked recipe uses WLP838, I used WY2308. I've only brewed it once, but will take another shot at it one of these days. For whatever reason, I didn't find my beer to be overly smoky, but a nice Rauchbier nonetheless. But I tend to like it more like a liquid campfire, lol. Maybe the smoked malt lost some of its punch sitting at the LHBS. I might try to smoke my own malt and give this another shot. If you use BeerSmith, I can send you the bsmx file...PM me if interested.

Recipe: Rauchbier TYPE: All Grain
Style: Other Smoked Beer
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 18.0 SRM SRM RANGE: 5.0-50.0 SRM
IBU: 25.6 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 5.0-70.0 IBUs
OG: 1.056 SG OG RANGE: 1.030-1.110 SG
FG: 1.013 SG FG RANGE: 1.006-1.024 SG
BU:GU: 0.455 Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 5.7 %
EE%: 70.00 % Batch: 5.25 gal Boil: 6.97 gal BT: 60 Mins

Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 8.0 oz Total Hops: 2.00 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.20 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1 95.7 %
4.0 oz Carafa II (De-husked) (412.0 SRM) Grain 2 2.2 %
4.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.2 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 7.81 gal of water at 161.0 F 152.0 F 60 min

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.044 SG Est OG: 1.056 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 60 min Hop 4 14.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 30 min Hop 5 11.1 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins) Other 7 -

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 03 Nov 2014 - 21.00 Days at 50.0 F
Secondary Start: 24 Nov 2014 - 4.00 Days at 66.0 F
Style Carb Range: 1.80-3.00 Vols
Bottling Date: 04 Dec 2014 with 2.8 Volumes CO2:

---NOTES------------------------------------
Adapted from recipe here:
https://www.alemakers.org/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.61

Starter: 3L

Water profile: Brown Balanced (Bru 'N Water)
9.0 gallons RO in Mash, no sparge.
4.4g gypsum
3.6g calcium chloride
(60ppm Ca, 10ppm Mg, 8ppm Na, 73ppm SO4, 55ppm Cl, 16ppmHCO3)

Fermentation:
21 days at 52F (11C), then 4 days at 66F (19C) for diacetyl rest. Then gradually drop temp by about 5F (3C) per day, to 36F (2C), rack to secondary and maintain that temp for an additional 45-60 days. Add 3-5g dry yeast (CBC-1, Notty, etc.) to priming sugar solution when bottling.

For whatever reason, I didn't find my beer to be overly smoky, but a nice Rauchbier nonetheless. But I tend to like it more like a liquid campfire, lol. Maybe the smoked malt lost some of its punch sitting at the LHBS.

Thanks for the recipe. I am definitely aiming for the same level of smoke from the Schlenkerla marzen, that intense smoke which oddly gets easier and smoother as you drink more. Ive been reading @Schlenkerla thread on smoking malts and its possible that smoking the malts is the best route to getting on par with the aforementioned marzen. I really do not want to do that, I just dont want to take the time with it, but if that is the ticket, Ill give it a shot.

Did you find the smoke to get more intense with time or any other thoughts as it matured?

Thanks for the recipe. I am definitely aiming for the same level of smoke from the Schlenkerla marzen, that intense smoke which oddly gets easier and smoother as you drink more. Ive been reading @Schlenkerla thread on smoking malts and its possible that smoking the malts is the best route to getting on par with the aforementioned marzen. I really do not want to do that, I just dont want to take the time with it, but if that is the ticket, Ill give it a shot.

Did you find the smoke to get more intense with time or any other thoughts as it matured?

I think the smoke intensity stayed about the same throughout the beer's life, though the overall flavor mellowed some over time. I bottled it, and once it was fully carbed, put all the bottles in the fridge to minimize degradation. Drank most within the first couple months, but kept a few which were gone 6-8 months after bottling. I really liked it and it definitely had a solid smoke aroma/flavor. But not quite to the level of the Schlenkerla Marzen. It was my second lager, so I was pleased.

I'm a really huge fan of the Schlenkerla Eiche (oak). But I have never seen any oak-smoked malt in brew stores, and Schlenkerla smokes their own anyway, so it's sort of a novelty. That's what I might try to do when I smoke my own malt, as I have plenty of white oak scraps from various woodworking projects. IIRC, the Marzen malt is smoked with beech.

I loved bamberg when I was there last year. I brought home a six pack from the schlenkerka brewery in Bamberg from my trip.

I was somewhat surprised to find it in a local brew store. I'm also able to get kulmbacher pilsner and another variety locally, and I was in Kulmbach for a day when I was over there. I can re-live my Germany trip just by going to the local beer store.

True - The Schlenkerla smokes as they kiln the malt. Smoke is byproduct of the heat source. They use one type of malt. Its a non-uniform kilning result. They have hot spots in the kiln or are unable to stir the grain. So some of the grain is just kilned, some is roast and toasty and some is black. They do nothing for color. I spoke to Mathias Trum about this when I traded my twitter handle for 5 cases of Schlenkerla; one of each type.

What type of wood are you using to smoke your malt?

Apple, Cherry, Maple, Hickory and Beech... However Pecan, Alder, Oak are slated to be used as soon as this subzero temps fade. I have 12 of snow on my deck.

I noticed the same thing with mine, but from bottle-conditioning. After 3 weeks in bottles the smoke level was there, but kind of muted. That, despite the fact that I had lagered it for over 2 months. But after another couple months in bottles, the smokiness is starting to pop. Not to the level of a Schlenkerla, but it is really tasty now.

I think the beer cleans up, as it ages and the other flavors from yeast esters are somewhat fade. The smoke seems to stay put. I read that smoke beers have a longer shelf life due to smoke since its act as a preservative. Kind of how brinning and smoking does for meats.

The helles isn't smoked; some say that it still tastes a bit smoky, because it's made using the same equipment, but the one time I had it, I didn't get any smoke at all. It was good, but if it's been sitting on the shelf a while, you may want to pass.

The helles has no smoke malt. It gets all smoke from residue from all the plumbing and equipment. They have been making Schlenkerla for 400+ years in think. Maybe it time to crawl into the mash tun and scrub it out a bit?

I haven't heard of very many. Looking at smoke beers by Geoff Larson & Ray Daniels, the list is long.

• Geoff makes an Alaskan Smoked Porter for Alaskan Brewing and Bottling Company. He uses alder from his resturant where they smoke fish.
  • Brew Moon uses kiawe wood in Hawaii a mesquite type of wood.
  • DeGroen's Rauchbock from Baltimore Brewing.
  • Arcadia London Porter from Arcadia Brewing in Battle Creek Michigan,
  • Smoking Ale makes a golden ale with weyermans malt in Syracuse NY
  • Rich's Rauchbier, JT Watney's Pub in Madison Wisconsin
  • Smoked Porter in San Marco California
  • Hichory Switch Smoked Amber Ale by Otter Creek Brewing in Middlebury Vermont
  • Kiawe Smoked Lager by Brewmoon in Boston
  • Sweetwater Chipotle Porter by Sweetwater Tavern & Brewery in Fall Church Virgina
  • Vermont Smoked Porter by Vermont Pub and Brewery
  • Rogue Smoke by Rogue Brewing.

I cant recall whether it was Rogue or Stone that made a smoke beer than tasted awful. It tasted like a burn circuit board. It was very phenolic. I think peat can leave that flavor.

I have a DIY Smoked Beer thread going.... see my signature. I'd welcome all of your opinions. I'm also doing roasted malts.

Edit: Why haven't I seen this thread.... OK - Damn its 3 years old!!

Last edited:
The link worked for me, but below is my slightly tweaked version in case that link still doesn't work for you. Sorry if the BS text-to-HBT-paste looks a little wonky.

Not many differences between the linked recipe and mine. I scaled to 5.25 gal, did a single infusion instead of a decoction, added a bit of melanoidin. The linked recipe uses WLP838, I used WY2308. I've only brewed it once, but will take another shot at it one of these days. For whatever reason, I didn't find my beer to be overly smoky, but a nice Rauchbier nonetheless. But I tend to like it more like a liquid campfire, lol. Maybe the smoked malt lost some of its punch sitting at the LHBS. I might try to smoke my own malt and give this another shot. If you use BeerSmith, I can send you the bsmx file...PM me if interested.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.4g gypsum
3.6g calcium chloride

Fermentation:
21 days at 52F (11C), then 4 days at 66F (19C) for diacetyl rest. Then gradually drop temp by about 5F (3C) per day, to 36F (2C), rack to secondary and maintain that temp for an additional 45-60 days. Add 3-5g dry yeast (CBC-1, Notty, etc.) to priming sugar solution when bottling.
Just came back from Schenkerla and want to make your recipe for starters. Have you brewed the beer again? Any changes? I may try to smoke malt….

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.4g gypsum
3.6g calcium chloride

Fermentation:
Just came back from Schenkerla and want to make your recipe for starters. Have you brewed the beer again? Any changes? I may try to smoke malt….

Latest posts

Back