Schizophrenia Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeDelta1

Reaction score
I think I'm going to brew this Saturday, not sure how it will taste but shouldn't be to bad and may be amazing. You know how we have SMaSH beers that are on the simple side, we should have some Mash Up recipes where you take different styles and mash them up. I was looking for something along the lines of Raging ***** from flying dog, but a little lower in the og. I decided to start with a basic Irish Red Recipe, added some rye (for that little bit of "Bam"), used a Belgian yeast, bittered with a german hop, flavored with a US hop, I was going to go with Cascade for the aroma, but I figured if I'm this far out there I might as well see if the boys from New Zealand wanted to join the party and switched to Pacific Jade.

This is for an 11 gallon batch, and off of the top of my head (I'm at work and they won't let me have Beersmith on the computer).

13lb 2 Row
3lb Vienna
1lb Special B
1lb Crystal 120
1lb Wheat Malt
3lb Rye
1 Oz Magnum 60 Minutes
2 Oz Mt Hood 30 Minutes
2 Oz Pacific Jade Flameout
2 Vials WLP 530 Abbey Ale

The only think I'm thinking of changing is dropping the Pacific Jade and Mt Hood down to 1 0z each I don't want to overpower the rye taste and the flavors from the yeast. I also thought about subbing out the 2 row for some Maris Otter (to get the English involved) but It would move it more towards and amber then the red color I'm looking for.

Let me know what you think.

I brewed this Saturday and everything went ok except for the two flies in one of the starters. I pulled them out and used it anyway. I did not get the color that I expected from the grain bill, I didn't get the red color that I was looking for it was more of a darker pale ale color. I expected more of an orangish (sp) red color, but it may have looked wrong because my whirpool didn't seem to work that good this time, some reason whirpooling about 1 out of 5 times just doesn't work.

Rye LME is available. Northern Brewer I think is carrying it. On second look you'd have to at least do a partial mash.

Update:

I just took a hydrometer sample after 8 days. I started the fermentation at 65 and let it ramp up to 74 over 8 days. I overshot my OG by 5 and started it at 1.054 it finished up at 1.012. My initial impressions from the sample is that this may be an amazing beer, the belgian yeast flavors hit you first, then the Pacific Jade and Mt. Hood find you in the middle and kind of cleans the pallete, right at the end you get a mild bittering with just a little spicey taste from the rye. Mind you this is from the sample so chilled and carbonated could be a different animal, but so far quite nice. I'm stuffed up bad from the pollen and crap in the air so I couldn't smell much of anything. The color is not quite what I was looking for but close, it is closer to an amber then the copper red color I was going for, but I'll take the function over form in this beer. I'm going to cold crash over the next couple of days and hold at 35 for a few more then keg for two weeks and I'll let you know how it is then. This beer is for the Brewer's Festival in Nashville on October 1, so I'll have some good input on it.

Back