Schill (Cologne) Kolsch Malt in Beer Smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantH

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me a suitable replacement for recipe/process sake in BeerSmith? I've not seen anything on google aside from saying that the style could call for anything from a wheat malt or vienna, but the local HBS owner gave me this for a go. Figured I'd plug it into BS to get me a schedule. Any help is appreciated!

I'll look at a German Pilsner, see how it mates up with my specs. I've already got grain, just wanting to put things in
"writing". The guy seemed excited to try this stuff out so I offered to be the guinea pig.

Going:
7.25 lbs. Schill Kolsch Malt
1 lb. Honey

Mash mid 150s (lower?) for 60

1oz. Vanguard @ 60
1oz. Vanguard @ 30

Ferment at 60-62 for 2 weeks, riase to lower 70s in secondary.

GrantH said:
I'll look at a German Pilsner, see how it mates up with my specs. I've already got grain, just wanting to put things in
"writing". The guy seemed excited to try this stuff out so I offered to be the guinea pig.

Going:
7.25 lbs. Schill Kolsch Malt
1 lb. Honey

Mash mid 150s (lower?) for 60

1oz. Vanguard @ 60
1oz. Vanguard @ 30

Ferment at 60-62 for 2 weeks, riase to lower 70s in secondary.

I'm sorry I didn't realized you were talking about a malt, but if its called kolsch it should make a good kolsch! Do you know how modified it is? With the pilsner I'm using its not very modified so they recommend a 90 min mash or a step mash. I would prob stick to 150 or so, kolsch should not be very sweet. You want a very fermentable wort.

I'm sorry I didn't realized you were talking about a malt, but if its called kolsch it should make a good kolsch! Do you know how modified it is? With the pilsner I'm using its not very modified so they recommend a 90 min mash or a step mash. I would prob stick to 150 or so, kolsch should not be very sweet. You want a very fermentable wort.

I'm not, and to be completely honest, I don't know anything about it. He was super excited I wanted to do a kolsch and highly recommended this. I will go with a lower mash temp, and not sure even about the whole 2 oz of vangard. may go 1oz @ 60 and 1/4oz @ 30

WRT BeerSmith it is possible to add new malts to the program database if you know the color (in SRM for 1 pound in a 1 gallon wort) and expected extraction (in SG for one pound in a one gallon wort - usually around 1.036-1.038 for most base malts). If you go to the Insert menu you'll find the wizards for adding new ingredients.

Back