HBS grains giving low yield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to brewing here, about 15 brews under my belt thus far...

I ordered grains from an online brew shop and most recipes I got gave me 75-80+% brewhouse efficiency. Then I ordered the same recipes from a local brew shop, only difference was if the recipe called for 2 row, thats all I specified and they mixed all the grain together so I dont know exactly what 2 row I got.

The problem is these same recipes are yielding less gravity points. SG is 0.01 lower then the recipes I got from the online shop.

Curious if different 2row base would make such a big difference in SG. I thought it may be the mill gap is larger but the HBS grains dont drain as well as the online shop.

Now Im stuck deciding do I order an extra pound of grain cause the HBS grains are giving less yield or pay significantly more for shipping and stick with the online shop?

What brand of 2row base malt is most recommended? Anything to stay away from?

Just cant figure out why Im getting less conversion with their grain vs another shop. My process is the same, 5gal brewzilla, I run recirculation pump and stir 2-3 times during sach. rest.

Appreciate any thoughts, recommendation or verbal lashings I may deserve 😆

hmm, me being the 'cheap' brewer here...i get closer to 2lb's to make up for 1.010 lower...when i buy malt from morebeer, it runs me $1.4 a pound. a mill would cost $130, so for me brewing once a week, saving 2lb's a batch. the mill would pay for itself in a year...

Thinking of getting a mill soon, just wondering if its different 2 malt in the recipes thats making that much difference or the crush is different...

I'm thinking it may have to do with the crush. Undercrushing can cause lower efficiency. You can partly compensate for this by extending the mash out to 90 minutes or more.
|You can also get a mill, and crush your own. It'll pay for itself in consistency.

Among the many good reasons to get your own malt mill is being able to set the crush size that's right for YOUR system. Not what the HBS/seller picks for a crush size to work 'with most'. Or what they think will work with most, well enough.

You can also save on trips to the HBS when you have your own malt mill. Get the malts for several batches in one visit and then just crush them on brew day.

My only regret in getting my malt mill is that I didn't get the one I have now first. I have a Barley Crusher which I sold not long after getting it. I think I had it for less than a year. I picked up a Monster Mill 2 roller (back around 2011) and it's still going strong. I added the motor option to it last year when I kicked up brewing again (also from MM since it's the right speed for their mill(s)). That thing is a BEAST, or is it monster?? ;)

Sounds like general consensus so far is the milling. Anyone experience noticeable efficiency differences in 2 row types?

Sounds like I will be getting a mill soon. Thanks for the advice all!

I only use two types of 2 row. MO and UK 2 row. My numbers with both malts depend more on my system than the grain. I'm tuning my process with the new kettles (gone electric with all three) and will see how things flesh out over the coming batches.

I would advise looking at the mill options out there and go at least middle of the road.

Back when I got my Monster Mill, there was only the single 2 roller version (they did have a three roller option, but after a call it was determined that was very much overkill). I went with the 2" diameter hardened steel rollers (over stainless). The stainless rollers were (and still are AFAIK) not as durable. Sure, they might be more corrosion resistant, but that's not an issue where I am.

There are more than a few very high end mills out there. If you have the budget, get the best one you can afford. The options when I bought were far less.

Back