Scaling recipes due to efficiency hike

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ketchepillar

Reaction score
I searched around but didn't find as much as I thought I would. Basically I want to brew my first AG again. I only got about 63% efficiency then, and now I'm around 78%. So if I just scale back using the efficiency scaler in BTP will that actually be an equivalent recipe or should I just scale back the base malt. I'm wondering because I see that the SRM drops when I do this, so I was thinking that one gets the same flavor out of specialty malts, regardless of efficiency. Thoughts? I'm just guessing here.

The times that I have made adjustments because of efficiency, I simply applied the percentage difference across the board. I have had good results with this. Since you are talking about 15%, I think it would be wise to scale back on all grains, expecially if your are talking about recipes with darker grains like roasted or carafa. Just my 2 cents.
mark
Beer Diary...

Back