Scaling ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using mostly Brewer's Friend, which has worked out well. I paid and store all my recipes there also. I saw a black friday deal on Brewsmith, so I snagged a license for that too so that I could compare and decide which to use long term.

My question is this: Does either one have a feature to scale a recipe...not by size, but by ABV? Say I found a Wee Heavy recipe that looks good and gets good reviews, but I'd like to brew a beefier version. Is there an easy way in either of those apps to maintain the percentages of the various grains but bump up the quantities to increase ABV?

Indirectly, yes. When viewing a recipe BS2 provides an "Adjust Gravity" tool in the tool ribbon which ultimately translates to ABV changes.
I haven't used it aside from just clicking on it and seeing what adjusting the OG does to the grain bill but it appears to do what one might expect...or even a bit more, as it adjusts the hop schedule to try to maintain the original IBUs...

Cheers!

I use this all the time. Beersmith has an adjust OG option plus an adjust IBU tool and and adjust SRM tool. I transcribe a lot of historic recipes and I have no idea what efficiency percentage these were calculated at. So I transcribe them as is and then use the provided OG, IBU and SRM numbers to adjust my Beersmith version to match.

Since ABV scales relatively quite well to OG, using that as your guide should get you into the right ballpark.

1.040 OG ~= 4% ABV
1.050 OG ~= 5% ABV
1.060 OG ~= 6% ABV
1.070 OG ~= 7% ABV
1.080 OG ~= 8% ABV
Etc...

Back