scale for grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
I have bulk grain but the only scale I have is a food scale that only goes up to one pound... Do you guys use standard bathroom scales or something more accurate? I don't mind being off a few ounces, but don't want to be off a few pounds.

I use the Escali as well for my grains. For hops and salts, I use a cheap gram scale with 0.1g resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Is it large enough to put a 5 gallon bucket on it? that is how I would prefer to weigh my grain...

Can't speak for the 55lb one, but my one can. (I'm guessing all those Ultraship scales are the same size). My one has some sort of USB interface for talking directly to UPS or something, so you weigh a package, press a button, and it generates a label for you - obviously completely unnecessary for weighing grain. I think I ended up getting mine for the spiffy illuminated display that makes reading it really easy. (Also, being Irish, I was probably lured in by it being called U2, haha)

I just sit the bucket on top (it doesn't completely fit on the top of the scale, it hangs off the edges, but it sits flat and has no issue) lined with a new trash bag, turn the scales on, then just load it up. When I'm done, toss the grain into the mill, put the bucket underneath, flip the switch, and bada-bing, bada-boom, done.

Four beam dude, It is the only way!!!

Inside joke I guess. Back in the 80s, a few people I knew had a four beam that was always on the kitchen counter. I have drifted away from that group..

If you can swing it, I suggest a heavy duty mechanical kitchen scale. It will last a lifetime, and never needs batteries.

Such as Detecto!!

Is it large enough to put a 5 gallon bucket on it? that is how I would prefer to weigh my grain...

The 5 gal buckets I'm not sure but the 7 gal Ale Pails sit perfectly on them. The square scale top fits inside the indented bottom nicely.

Here's what I use....

http://cgi.ebay.com/American-Weigh-...ltDomain_0&hash=item483c91b121#ht_2429wt_1141

I just tied a racket-down strap to it so I can hook it into a large screw hook in my basement ceiling where all of my grain is stored.

Hang a bucket from it, zero it out and pour grain into bucket... accurate to an oz. and pretty cheap. I love mine.

It is also the size a large cell phone so I can just toss it into a small storage box with other random equipment.

Back