South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may try them tomorrow eve while Pam is doing her Yoga class.....beer sounds better than Yoga...LOL.

Good they have a Gose so will look forward to that one. Did you happen to notice if they had bar food or some type of small plate offerings?

Shoot me a PM if you go...the wife and I may end up going there tomorrow night as well. I thought I had a picture of the menu but i don't. They have small plates (Brat, Chicken Philly, Burger, Portobella Philly) as well as pretzels, pub fries and beer boiled peanuts and a couple other things i'm forgetting.

Yeah man, they had a full kitchen menu, IIRC. There were a few people eating lunch in there. Check it out.

Also interesting: they have "syrups" (but they weren't sweet that I could tell) that you can get a shot added to a berliner or gose. I think they had a cucumber-lime, mango-something, and one other. We did a gose with the cucumber lime and a berliner with the mango. I was pleasantly surprised.

The "syrups" actually rotate out as well. Last week they had a strawberry basil, apricot lemon and something else. People love adding those to the gose and the berliner! Definitely a different but cool concept.

I'd say you were busy, Alli! And sorry you lost a kitten...I have 8 cats at my farm to "patrol" the area and they are great at their job! They walk the rafters and ward off pigeons and birds that would otherwise roost up high and "decorate" the tractors and equipment under cover.

Catdaddy66 says he will be there around 11a so if that works, I'll leave Darlington in time to be there by 11. See y'all then!!

11 sounds great! See you guys then! :)

~Alli

Kevin has two lager yeasts for me to pick up on Saturday. One is Mexican 940 and the other is Papazian's 952 Cry Havoc. My goal is to craft an 11 G batch and split into two 5.5 G batches and ferment in separate tanks with the two yeasts to compare. I have not found a lager yeast I was super fond of, so Kevin and I came up with this Exbeeriment to side by side compare. (Recent mention of a Mexican Lager caused this tangent)

So I need to come up with a base recipe that will be nicely quaffable. I was thinking something with a bit of color such as a portion of Vienna malts? Hops...not sure, need suggestions. Maybe a bit of flaked Maize for mouthfeel. Anyone got a favorite recipe along the lines of what I am describing? Thanks!!

I know sweetwater has a Mexican lager. It was probably the best lager I've ever had. I think it had Vienna malt and el dorado hops IIRC

Quote from sweetwater website

What we have here, amigos, is my take on a proper Mexican style lager – smooth and easy to drink with a superbly clear body. I tossed in a hefty dose of El Dorado hops to give this brew slightly sweet, malty, and tropical fruit aromas. Muy sabrosa! – Travis, Brewer

Malts: 2-Row, Flaked Maize, Vienna Malt, Carapils
Hops: Hallertau, Sterling, El Dorado
ABV: 4.8% IBU’s: 29

Yeah man, they had a full kitchen menu, IIRC. There were a few people eating lunch in there. Check it out.

Also interesting: they have "syrups" (but they weren't sweet that I could tell) that you can get a shot added to a berliner or gose. I think they had a cucumber-lime, mango-something, and one other. We did a gose with the cucumber lime and a berliner with the mango. I was pleasantly surprised.

Next time you come to Darlington, I'll share with you some Woodruff (green) and Raspberry syrups Germans serve with their BW's. It interests me that a local bar in Florence would be innovative like this. Cool!

Quote from sweetwater website

What we have here, amigos, is my take on a proper Mexican style lager – smooth and easy to drink with a superbly clear body. I tossed in a hefty dose of El Dorado hops to give this brew slightly sweet, malty, and tropical fruit aromas. Muy sabrosa! – Travis, Brewer

Malts: 2-Row, Flaked Maize, Vienna Malt, Carapils
Hops: Hallertau, Sterling, El Dorado
ABV: 4.8% IBU’s: 29

El Dorado hops.....will be a first time use for me. What SRM do you think their lager is? I would like to be a bit deeper than plain 2 row but less amber than Dos Equis Amber. Maybe 6-7 SRM with the Vienna?

Idk. Not too keen on visualizing or estimating srm but I feel like it was pretty dark for a lager

El Dorado hops.....will be a first time use for me. What SRM do you think their lager is? I would like to be a bit deeper than plain 2 row but less amber than Dos Equis Amber. Maybe 6-7 SRM with the Vienna?

I think you'll love them, Morrey. I've only used them once or twice (IPA) but I love them. If you liked Nelson, you'll like ElD. Not that they're similar, I just think you'll like it.

I think you'll love them, Morrey. I've only used them once or twice (IPA) but I love them. If you liked Nelson, you'll like ElD. Not that they're similar, I just think you'll like it.

All the Mexican Lager recipes I have seen are using Hallertau, Tettnanger...and similar Noble hops. You know me....I am willing to try any good hop or hop combo, so the ELD will be a fun adventure.

Looks like I'll make my lager with 2 row, Vienna, flaked maize...maybe a touch of Carapils for good measure. Will work it up in BS and get my parameters set for the design phase before brewing next weekend.

All the Mexican Lager recipes I have seen are using Hallertau, Tettnanger...and similar Noble hops. You know me....I am willing to try any good hop or hop combo, so the ELD will be a fun adventure.

Kazbek hops are what I used in my Cali-Mex lager (currently hibernating in the keezer at DIY!), and are said to be very Saaz like. I used wlp810 yeast also. It has about two more weeks at 45° before I bottle.

I'm sorry for what's about to come next.

I AM A REAL WINE MAKER!!! SQUEEEEEE!!!!!! I'M SO PROUD AND EXCITED!!!!

20170803_221537.jpg

20170803_221609.jpg

It's good, but not as berry-y as I had hoped it would be. It's sweet, we prefer sweeter wines, but we quite enjoy it. And of course I am bring a bottle with me tomorrow!!! I can't wait to share! I know it won't be anything in comparison to what others have made, but for my first try, being drink-able, I am quite proud of myself! :D

What a blast, guys!! So glad I got to meet everyone at the tasting. There were some great beverage choices available today.

Meads were great and plentiful and I tasted Allie's wine but missed out on the others. Awesome day and experience!

Morrey, so good to put a face with the voice. Thanks for the good time and hope everybody got home safely.

My brother Eric (razyrsharpe on HBT) was wanting you to know he had a blast as well... What a whiner he is! LOL

What a blast, guys!! So glad I got to meet everyone at the tasting. There were some great beverage choices available today.

Meads were great and plentiful and I tasted Allie's wine but missed out on the others. Awesome day and experience!

Morrey, so good to put a face with the voice. Thanks for the good time and hope everybody got home safely.

My brother Eric (razyrsharpe on HBT) was wanting you to know he had a blast as well... What a whiner he is! LOL

Sounds like y'all had fun today! I wish I could have made it. When is the next one? Maybe I could bring some 1 year old mead or some dry hopped apfelwein or a Belgian quad. Or all three haha

We had a great time and loved meeting everyone and Loren is really into the idea of making some mead now! Guess that is next up after the Watermelon/peach!
SHAIV, I can't wait to meet you and try your goodies as well!
Is there some kind of page or something where we will know the info on the next meet up? Had we known to bring the supplies we would have participated in today's mead class.
REALLY looking forward to the next get together! :D :ban:

Great fun today for sure! This was only the second time I have tried mead so this was a good experience to be able to try such a wide variety.

Kevin said this was probably the biggest DIY tasting turnout he remembers. It was great to see all of our Midlands thread friends and meet new folks in the brewing world. Hope this will be a regular thing for us. Cheers!

Great fun today for sure! This was only the second time I have tried mead so this was a good experience to be able to try such a wide variety.

Kevin said this was probably the biggest DIY tasting turnout he remembers. It was great to see all of our Midlands thread friends and meet new folks in the brewing world. Hope this will be a regular thing for us. Cheers!

Me too! Maybe with a follow up meet up at a local eatery or even at my house or someone else's who is close. I'd love a chance to sit down and have a better opportunity to get to know y'all! I am really overly excited about today! :D hahaha

~Alli

Me too! Maybe with a follow up meet up at a local eatery or even at my house or someone else's who is close. I'd love a chance to sit down and have a better opportunity to get to know y'all! I am really overly excited about today! :D hahaha

~Alli

That would be cool, Alli. I was surprised Loren was intently interested in the process and he really got into it yesterday. This is a good thing in that his interest would make it a hobby to do together.

TravelingLight and SHAIV pretty well keep tabs on local breweries in Columbia, so they may be able to suggest a place to meet. Even Florence has a new one (LocalMotive) and the soon to re-open Seminar in their huge new location.

Keep up the good work with that awesome wine! That one is a winner for sure as you noted everyone kept taking additional samples. I did for sure!!

Hate I missed the gathering this weekend. I caught up with Morrey last night and he said it was a good time and he got to meet some good peeps.

AVL was great this weekend. Started a little rough with my wife's car, aka the newer reliable car in the family, broke down on 26 between Newberry and Clinton. Paid a pretty penny to get that towed back to Columbia (seriously why does USAA only give me like 11 miles free towing, can I pay more and bump that up?!).

My sister in law now has me jonesing to make a beer with rum involved. I'm thinking of whatever it is, I would soak some oak in rum like Morrey does with tequila for the marg gose. I was considering doing a mojito gose. Thoughts?? I think the biggest hurdle would be dialing in the mint flavor. I'm sure that could get overpowering. Anyone used mint before??

Hate I missed the gathering this weekend. I caught up with Morrey last night and he said it was a good time and he got to meet some good peeps.

AVL was great this weekend. Started a little rough with my wife's car, aka the newer reliable car in the family, broke down on 26 between Newberry and Clinton. Paid a pretty penny to get that towed back to Columbia (seriously why does USAA only give me like 11 miles free towing, can I pay more and bump that up?!).

My sister in law now has me jonesing to make a beer with rum involved. I'm thinking of whatever it is, I would soak some oak in rum like Morrey does with tequila for the marg gose. I was considering doing a mojito gose. Thoughts?? I think the biggest hurdle would be dialing in the mint flavor. I'm sure that could get overpowering. Anyone used mint before??

Mint.....hummm. When there are doubts in my mind such as with the lemongrass I used in a hoppy wheat, tinctures are the safe approach. You could cover/soak fresh mint leaves with vodka and see the impact just a touch at a time brings your beer. The rum is easy with wood chips as we do with tequila. A good Gose may be a nice platform to play with.

Hated the car issue cost you beer drinking down time. Drats.

Mint.....hummm. When there are doubts in my mind such as with the lemongrass I used in a hoppy wheat, tinctures are the safe approach. You could cover/soak fresh mint leaves with vodka and see the impact just a touch at a time brings your beer. The rum is easy with wood chips as we do with tequila. A good Gose may be a nice platform to play with.
Yeah good call. I'm definitely thinking a gose base (have had a few commercial mojito goses that were damn good). Then doing an oak tincture with rum. And likely separate vodka tinctures for the lime (probably the same amount of lime as the marg gose as a starting point) and the mint. Then I can dose to taste.

Hated the car issue cost you beer drinking down time. Drats.
Damn BMW ownership at its finest. I knew she should have gotten an American car I could fix my damn self.

Here's a graveyard shot from Friday night opening bottles with my two brothers. My favorite (which didn't make the picture) was a Jackie O's/De Garde collab, oak aged wild ale with muscat grapes. Holy hell it was delicious. Also, the Fermentory growler was their hoppy blonde with pineapple that is so juicy I could chug it. The Avery Nuttiest Professor is one of the best peanut beers I've had, and it drinks much easier than it's labeled (15% ABV!!).

August 2017 Bowen Bros Bottle Share.JPG

Hey guys! Been lurking a bit, but I don't think I've introduced myself.

I live in Cola, been brewing for a few years, though lately it's been less beer and more apfelwein. I bought a once-used bourbon barrel from Crouch distilling and I've aged a few batches of what is probably more accurately called Cyser. I think I have 30+ gallons stashed various places around my apartment, some of it dating back to January 2016.

I like to hang out at Conquest, and I'm always down for a meet and taste to see what everyone else in town has been making.

Cheers!

I live in Cola, been brewing for a few years, though lately it's been less beer and more apfelwein. I bought a once-used bourbon barrel from Crouch distilling and I've aged a few batches of what is probably more accurately called Cyser. I think I have 30+ gallons stashed various places around my apartment, some of it dating back to January 2016.

I like to hang out at Conquest, and I'm always down for a meet and taste to see what everyone else in town has been making.

Cheers!

Welcome! I am a semi regular customer at Conquest during football season as I park nearby on gameday.

Cheers!

Nice. I've been making some apfelwein too. I started dry hopping mine and it's pretty good

Cheers!
Damn when did you get the barrel from Crouch? I put my name on the "waiting list" a while back and haven't heard anything. Did you have to put your name on a list?

Cheers!

Lets break out some of those "vintage" goodies! I volunteer to help as a tester!!!:rockin:

Lets break out some of those "vintage" goodies! I volunteer to help as a tester!!!:rockin:

Me too! Haha. I'm curious of the ingredients you used! I've never made a successful cyser. Did you use honey instead of corn sugar? Did you use Montrachet?

I was laughing to myself at what us IPA brewers call "Vintage". I think vintage to me is 4 weeks old. That is wayyyy past its expiration date...lol. Ask TravelingLight and I'll bet he will say the same:rockin:

I was laughing to myself at what us IPA brewers call "Vintage". I think vintage to me is 4 weeks old. That is wayyyy past its expiration date...lol. Ask TravelingLight and I'll bet he will say the same:rockin:

Haha preach! And if we're talking NEIPA, you can shorten that 4 weeks even more!

Me too! Haha. I'm curious of the ingredients you used! I've never made a successful cyser. Did you use honey instead of corn sugar? Did you use Montrachet?

Ha, the real key I've found is to forget about it! The longer it sits, the better it tastes. I started with EdWort's recipe, and now I use a combination of honey, brown sugar, and cherry juice to improve the strength and flavor. I also branched out from Montrachet, now my favorites are D-47, RC-212, and SN9.

TravelingLight said:
Damn when did you get the barrel from Crouch? I put my name on the "waiting list" a while back and haven't heard anything. Did you have to put your name on a list?

I got on the list sometime over a year ago, right before he released a batch of one-use bourbon barrels. I was super fortunate! Worth the money and the wait. If you're local, stop by and ask for an update. Then get a cocktail, some bourbon coffee beans, or ham hocks from the freezer. I love that tiny place.

Ha, the real key I've found is to forget about it! The longer it sits, the better it tastes. I started with EdWort's recipe, and now I use a combination of honey, brown sugar, and cherry juice to improve the strength and flavor. I also branched out from Montrachet, now my favorites are D-47, RC-212, and SN9.

I got on the list sometime over a year ago, right before he released a batch of one-use bourbon barrels. I was super fortunate! Worth the money and the wait. If you're local, stop by and ask for an update. Then get a cocktail, some bourbon coffee beans, or ham hocks from the freezer. I love that tiny place.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the barrel? And is it 5 or 10 gallon? I put my name on the list for 5 and 10 gallon.

Also, if you ever want to get rid of that barrel, DIBS!!!!! Seriously, let me know if you ever want to part with it.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the barrel? And is it 5 or 10 gallon? I put my name on the list for 5 and 10 gallon.

Also, if you ever want to get rid of that barrel, DIBS!!!!! Seriously, let me know if you ever want to part with it.

Ha, It is a fantastic piece of homebrewing equipment! I got a 5-gallon for $75. At least, that was the price last year. May have changed. The first batch came out tasting like straight bourbon after 4 days. After 7 more batches, I can leave the wine in for a month or more, and it picks up some good oaky character. It's a game-changer.

Ha, It is a fantastic piece of homebrewing equipment! I got a 5-gallon for $75. At least, that was the price last year. May have changed. The first batch came out tasting like straight bourbon after 4 days. After 7 more batches, I can leave the wine in for a month or more, and it picks up some good oaky character. It's a game-changer.

I've heard oaking mead is really good. I've not done it myself. I too started with edworts recipe. I just use Walmart juice though. I have some s04 I was gonna try but never got around to it and it's got a 08/17 date on it. I dunno if it's still good. I guess I could make a starter to test it. I got my second keg in may and then I filled it with hopped apfelwein and had 10 gallons of it in both my kegs. Had a cookout and everyone loved it. My buddy asked his wife if she was good to drive and she just stared at him and shook her head no. Lol

I've heard oaking mead is really good. I've not done it myself. I too started with edworts recipe. I just use Walmart juice though. I have some s04 I was gonna try but never got around to it and it's got a 08/17 date on it. I dunno if it's still good. I guess I could make a starter to test it. I got my second keg in may and then I filled it with hopped apfelwein and had 10 gallons of it in both my kegs. Had a cookout and everyone loved it. My buddy asked his wife if she was good to drive and she just stared at him and shook her head no. Lol

SHAIV do you remember JP who owned DIY in Elgin? Last week when you missed the Mead tasting at DIY, JP brought in an outstanding Mead that was aged in a Bourbon barrel. He said it had barrel aged about a year after the initial fermentation and racking sequence. It was really special, and JP has his own bee hives to collect honey for the mead. He said if anyone wanted to contact him for recipes or suggestions, feel free to do so. I think Kevin has his contact info.

I have a new charred 5G oak keg coming in this month and was looking for something to do with it. I originally bought it to age distilled spirits, but I think I may try something like a Saison or a Mead.

Back