South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your efficiency regularly?

It's been about 67, BUT I recently got two batches I that git up to 78%...so I was hoping that was based on my process changes. Then I went back to 67%. Not sure what happened. Either way, I was hoping to be able to get some bigger abv brews.

Last edited:
67 sounds average. If you want bigger brews you may consider more grains up front or late honey additions. What does your setup entail? RIMS, HERMS, BIAB, etc...

Ok guys, I've got a question for those of you who get your grains from bet-mar.

I'm having an efficiency issue and need to know if it's his crush or a problem on my end. Have any of you guys gotten your grain milled there, and if so, did you notice any issues?

For reference, I used 12 lbs of grain last night (10 lbs 2-row, 1 lb Vienna, 1 lb C120--somplenty of diastatic power here), and I ended up with just a hair over five gallons at 1.057. I need to know if I need to start going elsewhere or invest in a mill (trying to avoid that one for the time being).

Yes the only time I bought grains from there I had the same issue. The quad I brewed in January I got from there and it was 16 lbs of base malts IIRC I ended up with about 1.060 but I chalked it up to the loss of heat in my mash tun and I also returned that mash tun because I just bought it and didn't like it. It was a 10 gallon Lowe's cooler. Actually it may have been 1.065. I added a lb of dme and the candy sugar that I was going to add anyway and ended up with 1.085

67 sounds average. If you want bigger brews you may consider more grains up front or late honey additions. What does your setup entail? RIMS, HERMS, BIAB, etc...

It isn't bad, but my mash tun can't handle more than 12.5 lbs of grain (it's only a 5-gal cooler). So I was trying to work within my system to go bigger without having to purchase more equipment.

My system is a basic three vessel hlt, cooler mash tun, and boil kettle. Really, all of these are a little smaller than I'd like for them to be, but I can't justify buying bigger equipment at the moment.

Yes the only time I bought grains from there I had the same issue. The quad I brewed in January I got from there and it was 16 lbs of base malts IIRC I ended up with about 1.060 but I chalked it up to the loss of heat in my mash tun and I also returned that mash tun because I just bought it and didn't like it. It was a 10 gallon Lowe's cooler. Actually it may have been 1.065. I added a lb of dme and the candy sugar that I was going to add anyway and ended up with 1.085

Good to know. I might ask him to run it through the mill twice next time or see how far the other store is from my place. Might be worth the drive.

Assuming ( and I know better than that) that your mash temperatures are static between batches, what temps are you mashing at? You could always mash for longer periods to increase efficiency. Finer crush will yield a higher efficiency too but you will trade off head retention theoretically.

Good luck and keep us posted with your results!

Assuming ( and I know better than that) that your mash temperatures are static between batches, what temps are you mashing at? You could always mash for longer periods to increase efficiency. Finer crush will yield a higher efficiency too but you will trade off head retention theoretically.

Good luck and keep us posted with your results!

All the batches I referenced have been mashed at the same temp across variations on a single recipe. So that isn't the variable here (which is a bummer because it would be the easy one). I'm also already mashing at 1.25 hours. Actually longer, because that's when I start to vorlauf and I don't mash out, and I put my sparge water in at mash temps. So I'm fairly confident that I'm getting as much conversion as I can get.

Also, with the grain I've been using and the water around here, my pH should be fine too (based on Bru'n Water calculations).

Obviously you need to brew more beer with differing crushes and track your efficiency. It would make a good and delicious experiment!

Obviously you need to brew more beer with differing crushes and track your efficiency. It would make a good and delicious experiment!

Probably. But I don't own a mill.

Also, I realized I failed to answer your question about temp. I've been mashing at 150

Not to derail the efficiency train...but I'm just so damn excited I finally got the color/haze where I want it on my NEIPA. This was my 4th attempt and the best one yet.
ETA: Uncarbed keg sample
KjVXKMF.jpg

Not to derail the efficiency train...but I'm just so damn excited I finally got the color/haze where I want it on my NEIPA. This was my 4th attempt and the best one yet.

Beautiful! That one is gorgeous!! What hop combo did you use?

BTW and for what its worth, I can hardly wait when a beer like this is carbing up. I bought one of those specialty keg lids with tube and carbing stone from Williams Brewing to test it on a sacrificial cream ale. At 35F, it took 7 hours at 18psi to hit the carb volumes I wanted. Drawback is you'll have to open the lid (O2 exposure) to change back to the regular lid.

I am dry hopping a NE IPA (I think we can call it that) with the same grain and hop bill (less citra) as my previous NE IPA except I used 100% Brett Clausenii in the primary. We shall see but I am getting some additional pineapple notes from it.

Beautiful! That one is gorgeous!! What hop combo did you use?

BTW and for what its worth, I can hardly wait when a beer like this is carbing up. I bought one of those specialty keg lids with tube and carbing stone from Williams Brewing to test it on a sacrificial cream ale. At 35F, it took 7 hours at 18psi to hit the carb volumes I wanted. Drawback is you'll have to open the lid (O2 exposure) to change back to the regular lid.

I am dry hopping a NE IPA (I think we can call it that) with the same grain and hop bill (less citra) as my previous NE IPA except I used 100% Brett Clausenii in the primary. We shall see but I am getting some additional pineapple notes from it.
Thanks brother! I did a half ounce Nugget @FWH, then heavy flameout and whirlpool additions with Citra, Galaxy, and Mosaic. Two dry hops with mosaic and galaxy. Finally, a 1 oz. Citra leaf keg hop.

I got one of those steel carb caps. Now when I keg a new beer, I hook up the picnic tap, fill up a plastic water bottle, and quick carb it with the carb cap to get a quick carb sample.

Thanks brother! I did a half ounce Nugget @FWH, then heavy flameout and whirlpool additions with Citra, Galaxy, and Mosaic. Two dry hops with mosaic and galaxy. Finally, a 1 oz. Citra leaf keg hop.

I got one of those steel carb caps. Now when I keg a new beer, I hook up the picnic tap, fill up a plastic water bottle, and quick carb it with the carb cap to get a quick carb sample.

I can tell you we got to up these batches to 11G. 5.5G is simply not getting the job done so time to drag the 20G kettle out of hibernation.

I can't imagine a better hop bill for this beer (Conan strain) than the G/M/C combo. Wow!

KjVXKMF.jpg

I thought this sounded familiar. Found you on Reddit, friend. https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewin..._got_the_color_right/?st=J30SXGI9&sh=6594ace2

I'm over there most of the time for brewing stuff. But this thread is the main reason I float back to this site. Just for the local talk.

Also, congrats on nailing your beer. Always a good feeling.

Wow this thread is doin good. I've missed a lot.

Anyways. I'm Healey, SHAIVs buddy, we always brew together. I also live in Lexington.

I'm just sitting here sippin in a chocolate milk stout that I have on tap here that we brewed.

Morrey, to answer your post a few pages back about the brewery In Florence, yes i was talkin about Southern Hops. I've been there a handful of times after I get off work. I've enjoyed their brews and they seem to have good prices.

Add me on untapped: HealeyA87

Cheers guys!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495503460.857681.jpg

All this talk of CO2 tanks makes me sad, I'm still bottling 1 crimp at a time lol it's not that bad. I would like to start kegging and have a multi tap fridge in the garage . Gotta have goals ya know

If your patient enough you can get the right setup.

I have a setup that I'm happy with. And so far I have less than $40 into it....

Scored a free mini fridge, just had to do some modifications that went perfectly.

Traded a box of MREs (that I got for free) for 2 used kegs

Got my regulator and all my tap lines as a Christmas present

Scored 2 free co2 tanks

Built a bar top out of pallet wood.

After all that. I only paid for new gaskets for the kegs, the cost to fill the co2 tanks, the screws to bold my bar top, and some hardware. I still gotta finish my cabinet though. I've been put on active duty with the national guard and haven't been able to get much done around the house bit I will get it finished soon...

Link to my build thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=539249

Anyways, my whole point is, if you do some searching and keep an eye out online, you could score some cheap/free stuff, it just may take time.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495504499.396237.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495504524.046282.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495504598.052299.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495504535.520521.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 13
I thought this sounded familiar. Found you on Reddit, friend. https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewin..._got_the_color_right/?st=J30SXGI9&sh=6594ace2

I'm over there most of the time for brewing stuff. But this thread is the main reason I float back to this site. Just for the local talk.

Also, congrats on nailing your beer. Always a good feeling.

Yo brother! Knew I recognized your name. You're the one on the quest to nail your red IPA, yes? I've been keeping up with your adventures on your blog.

Yo brother! Knew I recognized your name. You're the one on the quest to nail your red IPA, yes? I've been keeping up with your adventures on your blog.

That's me! I've got the fifth version of that recipe sitting in a carboy right now. I just brewed last Friday, so it'll be a few weeks before I know how this one turns out.

Also just put up a new post today...about how I realized I had an oxidation problem because it interfered with my ability to do a direct comparison of the first two versions against this latest one. So that's a sad day. But a realization that is going to improve my process. So I'll take it.

That's me! I've got the fifth version of that recipe sitting in a carboy right now. I just brewed last Friday, so it'll be a few weeks before I know how this one turns out.

Also just put up a new post today...about how I realized I had an oxidation problem because it interfered with my ability to do a direct comparison of the first two versions against this latest one. So that's a sad day. But a realization that is going to improve my process. So I'll take it.
If you ever want another set of taste buds on that beer, just let me know. You know, quality control and all that. :mug:

Alright guys, here's a question for all of you.

What do you think of the breweries around here? I've had Conquest, River Rat, Hunter Gatherer, and Old Mill Brew Pub. I haven't had Swamp Cabbage, Twisted Spur, or Bierkeller. Who's doing the best stuff and why? Who's making the worst beer? Is anyone doing anything actually good or is at all mediocre at best? Discuss.

Alright guys, here's a question for all of you.

What do you think of the breweries around here? I've had Conquest, River Rat, Hunter Gatherer, and Old Mill Brew Pub. I haven't had Swamp Cabbage, Twisted Spur, or Bierkeller. Who's doing the best stuff and why? Who's making the worst beer? Is anyone doing anything actually good or is at all mediocre at best? Discuss.
Oh man, stand by for a lengthy diatribe here...

Conquest:
When CQ first opened years ago, I had high hopes for them. They got a big chunk of seed money from some of the higher ups at the AB distro facility around the corner. And I got excited when they started getting creative and pushing the envelope with some beers. They had some unique one-offs and such, but nothing of substance. Then one of the two head brewers left to go somewhere in NC. So now it's just Matt Ellisor and I think maybe he's recruited another brewer by now. They're basically stagnant. All of their flagships are contract brewed by either Thomas Creek or RJ Rockers (can't remember which one). Which makes sense as they only have about a 10 bbl capacity at the brewery, not even close to big enough for distro. I have had one beer by them that I would classify as damn good. And that was their barrel aged blackberry and plum sour they had a few kegs of months ago. But this is a prime example of their laziness, for lack of a better term. Their "sour series" has been "coming soon" for the last 30 months or so. In talking with some of the staff and the brewer there, they just put the beer in barrels, and just tossed in fruit. Zero quality control. No repeatability. I've also gotten some super strange brewing advice from Matt before that made me think he doesn't really stick to established brewing knowledge, which can be an advantage but also a huge disadvantage.

River Rat:
As far as atmosphere and ambiance goes, River Rat is probably the best in Columbia. But their beers, IMO, are super meh. Straight Standardtown. I haven't had a single beer from them that I thought was great. But, River Rat is a prime example of how being business savvy can help exponentially. They opened about a year or two after Conquest, but they have faaaaaarrr surpassed Conquest in terms of production and brand recognition. Which is probably due to the owner of River Rat already being a very successful business person prior to opening River Rat. The closest thing I've had from them that was close to great was their peanut butter porter. Just the first batch. Then they changed the recipe or something and it hasn't been the same since. Most of their beers are just boring to me.

Old Mill:
I admittedly have not been to Old Mill a ton of times. But I know Matt (Rodgers) well and have had lots of his beers. I think Matt is a tremendously talented brewer. And I was very excited about his new endeavor, Cottontown Brewlab, but he's no longer a part of that venture. Allegedly, Matt's problem or disconnect with the owner(s) of Cottontown was that he wanted to basically do nothing but one-offs with no flagships to pay the bills. And that don't work. But I digress...Old Mill does great beers, the only problem is most of them are, you guessed it, one-offs. Matt's a great guy and his family has a beautiful hop farm on the Congaree out in Camden. Matt also does some random brewing classes at Swamp Cabbage and other places. But it's mostly beginner stuff, maybe some BIAB classes. I've told him if he started doing some more advanced classes, I would be all about it.

Swamp Cabbage:
Very underwhelming. I feel bad for them because honestly, unless they move locations or make drastic improvements, their biggest downfall is their tap room. It's borderline depressing. It has the feel and ambiance of the break room at factory job. I haven't had a beer from them that was great. I respect them and the hours they put in. The owner is still a x-ray tech (or something like that), works all day, then works at the brewery with his wife and kids after work. He's busting his ass, but I don't see how they can sustain much longer. But who knows?

Hunter Gatherer:
Haven't been here in well over a decade, well before I was into good beer. But I didn't like what they had then. Lot of malt bombs and not a lot of variety.

Twisted Spur:
Went there early on. The beers were solid, but nothing great. They had an IPA, a pale, maybe a wit, and something else. Very standard. I have high hopes for them too. The owner, a Cola native, spent years brewing on the west coast before coming home to open TS. Allegedly has plans for a full fledge sour program. But that remains to be seen.

Bottom line: I think Cola is ripe for some new breweries, but they've got to have a different selling point. Everyone is doing IPAs. Everyone has a stout. Nobody in Cola is doing mixed fermentations, extensive barrel aging, etc. If I had the money, and didn't have crippling student loan debt, I would finally open BrewBQ, a barbecue joint that brews their own beer. My barbecue could keep it afloat to get the beer brand established. Come for the barbecue, stay for the beer.

/steps off soapbox

Seems the breweries in Charleston have it going on in comparison. Then when you hit Asheville, you witness the big show.

Agree with your rundown, TravelingLight. Wish these Cola brewers would craft some interesting beers like the places close by.

Agreed, the only beer that I've had at river rat that was memorable was called touch of grey, I think it was a collaboration of some sort. I know Doug at SC, I think he's hard at it but he tries to stick with a German theme that Columbia won't support. IPAs are always going to sell but IMHO you need a stand out IPA as a flagship beer, we are also a college town so why hasn't anyone opened a brewery to connect with the student population? A good session almost equatable to a cream ale with high volume and low price(for craft). Travelinlight, I would be open to talk about opening something where the old Rosewood Florist used to be.

Oh man, stand by for a lengthy diatribe here...

Conquest:
When CQ first opened years ago, I had high hopes for them. They got a big chunk of seed money from some of the higher ups at the AB distro facility around the corner. And I got excited when they started getting creative and pushing the envelope with some beers. They had some unique one-offs and such, but nothing of substance. Then one of the two head brewers left to go somewhere in NC. So now it's just Matt Ellisor and I think maybe he's recruited another brewer by now. They're basically stagnant. All of their flagships are contract brewed by either Thomas Creek or RJ Rockers (can't remember which one). Which makes sense as they only have about a 10 bbl capacity at the brewery, not even close to big enough for distro. I have had one beer by them that I would classify as damn good. And that was their barrel aged blackberry and plum sour they had a few kegs of months ago. But this is a prime example of their laziness, for lack of a better term. Their "sour series" has been "coming soon" for the last 30 months or so. In talking with some of the staff and the brewer there, they just put the beer in barrels, and just tossed in fruit. Zero quality control. No repeatability. I've also gotten some super strange brewing advice from Matt before that made me think he doesn't really stick to established brewing knowledge, which can be an advantage but also a huge disadvantage.

River Rat:
As far as atmosphere and ambiance goes, River Rat is probably the best in Columbia. But their beers, IMO, are super meh. Straight Standardtown. I haven't had a single beer from them that I thought was great. But, River Rat is a prime example of how being business savvy can help exponentially. They opened about a year or two after Conquest, but they have faaaaaarrr surpassed Conquest in terms of production and brand recognition. Which is probably due to the owner of River Rat already being a very successful business person prior to opening River Rat. The closest thing I've had from them that was close to great was their peanut butter porter. Just the first batch. Then they changed the recipe or something and it hasn't been the same since. Most of their beers are just boring to me.

Old Mill:
I admittedly have not been to Old Mill a ton of times. But I know Matt (Rodgers) well and have had lots of his beers. I think Matt is a tremendously talented brewer. And I was very excited about his new endeavor, Cottontown Brewlab, but he's no longer a part of that venture. Allegedly, Matt's problem or disconnect with the owner(s) of Cottontown was that he wanted to basically do nothing but one-offs with no flagships to pay the bills. And that don't work. But I digress...Old Mill does great beers, the only problem is most of them are, you guessed it, one-offs. Matt's a great guy and his family has a beautiful hop farm on the Congaree out in Camden. Matt also does some random brewing classes at Swamp Cabbage and other places. But it's mostly beginner stuff, maybe some BIAB classes. I've told him if he started doing some more advanced classes, I would be all about it.

Swamp Cabbage:
Very underwhelming. I feel bad for them because honestly, unless they move locations or make drastic improvements, their biggest downfall is their tap room. It's borderline depressing. It has the feel and ambiance of the break room at factory job. I haven't had a beer from them that was great. I respect them and the hours they put in. The owner is still a x-ray tech (or something like that), works all day, then works at the brewery with his wife and kids after work. He's busting his ass, but I don't see how they can sustain much longer. But who knows?

Hunter Gatherer:
Haven't been here in well over a decade, well before I was into good beer. But I didn't like what they had then. Lot of malt bombs and not a lot of variety.

Twisted Spur:
Went there early on. The beers were solid, but nothing great. They had an IPA, a pale, maybe a wit, and something else. Very standard. I have high hopes for them too. The owner, a Cola native, spent years brewing on the west coast before coming home to open TS. Allegedly has plans for a full fledge sour program. But that remains to be seen.

Bottom line: I think Cola is ripe for some new breweries, but they've got to have a different selling point. Everyone is doing IPAs. Everyone has a stout. Nobody in Cola is doing mixed fermentations, extensive barrel aging, etc. If I had the money, and didn't have crippling student loan debt, I would finally open BrewBQ, a barbecue joint that brews their own beer. My barbecue could keep it afloat to get the beer brand established. Come for the barbecue, stay for the beer.

/steps off soapbox

I agree with every bit of this. I know some guys that were brewing with the guys that opened Conquest way before they opened. (One of them was actually the co-brewer of their anniversary release of the Finisher when it was first brewed as a homebrew.) From what I understand, there were some issues with investors not letting that brewer be as creative as he could be. And apparently the stuff he's doing at his new brewery is killer.

Also, with River Rat, I don't know so much that he's a good businessman (maybe he is, I don't know) as that he had a ton of startup capital. Dude is the son of the guy that owns Zeus Industrial. So I'm pretty sure they just threw a bunch of money at their mediocre beer and that's why it took off. Maybe that's being a good businessman...I dunno. But the point stands that they're just ok.

I had no idea Matt pulled out of Cottontown though. That's fascinating, but your reasoning makes total sense. He could have done the one-offs if they opened as a brewpub or just a tap room, but their plan was to open the tap room a year after opening to get out in the area first. I think that was a dumb idea, personally, because from what I understand, taprooms are where the money is made--especially for a new brewery. So I was pretty confused when I heard that that was the plan.

I wholeheartedly agree that we need new blood in the game. I think one genuinely good brewery would take off because all we have is just ok. I think it would push them all to be better too and would hopefully push the area to be better producers of better beer. It would be good for everyone. I've started looking into options for opening something in a couple years, so if you guys who mentioned that interest (travelinglight and crescentfresh) want to talk, I'd be glad to talk this through and see if we could be the ones to make this happen.

I've started looking into options for opening something in a couple years, so if you guys who mentioned that interest (travelinglight and crescentfresh) want to talk, I'd be glad to talk this through and see if we could be the ones to make this happen.
I'm definitely open to ideas. My main issue now is student loan debt. I got a private law school degree, so, essentially, I bought a house I can't live in. However, if I stick it out about 7 more years working for the state, my loans are gone. Once I don't have student loans, hell man, I could survive on 40K.

I'm definitely open to ideas. My main issue now is student loan debt. I got a private law school degree, so, essentially, I bought a house I can't live in. However, if I stick it out about 7 more years working for the state, my loans are gone. Once I don't have student loans, hell man, I could survive on 40K.

7 years will be over before you know it! That's not a gamble for sure.

I have friends that own Seminar Brewing in Florence. They are a group of Francis Marion professors that were home brew buddies who went pro. Their focus was to develop a winner beer, to keg this beer, and to set up a distribution network locally. This was the plan, but the taproom was virtually non-existent. And if you did visit their tiny TR, you saw the same stuff time after time. But their sales were strong in local pubs, restaurants, etc. They have 3 8bbl fermenters and keep them active all the time.

Two Blokes in Chas had the 180 degree opposite business plan in mind. Their tap room is damn near standing room only open to close. However, they distribute no beers anywhere. I asked the owner why not to which he replied..."look at the customers waiting in line, this is profit". Seems distribution has many costs we may not be aware of.

If it were left to my devices, I'd say a popular taproom/pub would be the way to go and forego the distribution at least for the time being. In Columbia, you'd be ripe for the pickin'.

Two Blokes in Chas had the 180 degree opposite business plan in mind. Their tap room is damn near standing room only open to close. However, they distribute no beers anywhere. I asked the owner why not to which he replied..."look at the customers waiting in line, this is profit". Seems distribution has many costs we may not be aware of.
Sort of like Tree House. And, actually, like the new Charlestowne Fermentory in West Ashley. Which, btw, Morrey, if you want a legit NEIPA in SC, take your ass to the Fermentory! They are crushing it. Brand new for the most part. Head brewer(s) came from Trillium and Tired Hands.

7 years will be over before you know it! That's not a gamble for sure.

I have friends that own Seminar Brewing in Florence. They are a group of Francis Marion professors that were home brew buddies who went pro. Their focus was to develop a winner beer, to keg this beer, and to set up a distribution network locally. This was the plan, but the taproom was virtually non-existent. And if you did visit their tiny TR, you saw the same stuff time after time. But their sales were strong in local pubs, restaurants, etc. They have 3 8bbl fermenters and keep them active all the time.

If it were left to my devices, I'd say a popular taproom/pub would be the way to go and forego the distribution at least for the time being. In Columbia, you'd be ripe for the pickin'.

The distribution costs you mention can be broken down like this:

If a brewery can self-distribute, say they are selling a keg for $100, but the bar still has to make profit off that, so they are selling it for $4/pint and with roughly 125 pints/half barrel keg, they're making $500/keg for a profit of $400.

Breweries in SC can't self-distribute, and the bar still wants to buy the keg at that same cost, so now the brewery is probably selling it to a distributor for $60-75. Bar still makes the same profit-ish and the distributor gets a cut as well. Either this or the brewery sells for more and their price per pint goes up at the bar, making it less accessible and therefore possibly making less money than if they sold the keg for less since not as many people are buying their higher priced beer or the bar decides not to carry them any more because their beer isn't selling as much as lower priced beer.

So enter the tap room. The brewery sells beer for $4/pint and makes all of that profit. Essentially they'd be selling a keg for 5x the amount they would by selling it to a bar and even more if a distributor is involved.

No one said it had to be full time immediately. Ha.

Heck, I can only take so much chance with a wife and young kids to support. That said...what kind of law do you practice? The legal aspects are the most daunting part of this to me.

No one said it had to be full time immediately. Ha.

Heck, I can only take so much chance with a wife and young kids to support. That said...what kind of law do you practice? The legal aspects are the most daunting part of this to me.

I'm actually not practicing now. I did the criminal law game for a bit, got burned out. Now I work for a state agency as a senior consultant doing regulatory policy development and legislative stuff.

I would finally open BrewBQ, a barbecue joint that brews their own beer. My barbecue could keep it afloat to get the beer brand established. Come for the barbecue, stay for the beer.

/steps off soapbox

That's what I thought que and brew would be in Lexington but they don't brew and they have limited craft variety

Also I like old mill. I haven't been to any of the others. I don't go out much and when I do I don't go just to drink. One reason why I homebrew so I don't have to go out and spend money. I have met Matt before when he had the hopyard. He was very helpful and even let Healey borrow a wort chiller for free before we had one. But anyway I do like some of the ipas I've had there, they are good (I tend to only drink ipas, I love me some hoppy goodness) but I had a white IPA there one time and it tasted like straight gin, it was pretty bad. I told the waitress that thinking she would take it off my bill but she didn't and I didn't drink it.

Anyway you guys should start a brewery! That'd be awesome!

but I had a white IPA there one time and it tasted like straight gin, it was pretty bad. I told the waitress that thinking she would take it off my bill but she didn't and I didn't drink it.
How long ago was that? Reason I ask, I went to a beer dinner Matt hosted a few months back with a bunch of cask beers done by local guys. They had a cask IPA done with Doug from Swamp Cabbage that was aged in gin barrels. Not sure if that was the same thing, but I really enjoyed that cask IPA.

It was like this past winter. It was a white IPA with gin and I dunno if I got the last of the keg or what. Oh I also had a cinnamon something a while back I didn't like. I think it was like the last of the keg and they charged me for that crap

Ok, so it sounds like a few of us are open to the idea of pairing up and starting something. Why don't we meet and possibly brew together to see how we mesh? I'm itching to start something bigger than just me. I'd like for us on this post to do a group brew. Maybe a Saturday in the early fall so we can all try to coordinate a date. At any rate, I'm open for dialogue. I live in the rosewood area.

Ok, so it sounds like a few of us are open to the idea of pairing up and starting something. Why don't we meet and possibly brew together to see how we mesh? I'm itching to start something bigger than just me. I'd like for us on this post to do a group brew. Maybe a Saturday in the early fall so we can all try to coordinate a date. At any rate, I'm open for dialogue. I live in the rosewood area.

I'm down for this. Maybe a beer together first to plan things. Oh, and I'm out in Lexington.

I'm in Rosewood too! PM incoming...

Back