South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all saw where SC is liberalizing craft beer laws making things more user friendly. Craft beer permits were the odd duck out a few years ago, but today they are probably easier to obtain. I'll hope to hear that something brilliant spawns from your meeting.

y'all saw where sc is liberalizing craft beer laws making things more user friendly. Craft beer permits were the odd duck out a few years ago, but today they are probably easier to obtain. I'll hope to hear that something brilliant spawns from your meeting.

yay!!!

Y'all saw where SC is liberalizing craft beer laws making things more user friendly. Craft beer permits were the odd duck out a few years ago, but today they are probably easier to obtain. I'll hope to hear that something brilliant spawns from your meeting.

There's definitely some good aspects of the recent changes. The best thing to come of it is the ability to sell food at a production brewery tap room and not be a brewpub. That said, if I remember correctly, there are some implications of it for brewpubs that may or may not be beneficial and might be harmful, depending on that brewpub's current setup. This has to do with their ability to distribute outside of their own pub, but they would have to convert to a production brewery, which limits their ability to sell unlimited amounts of beer to their patrons in one day. It's kind of blurring the lines between the two.

Anyway, this article does a much better job of explaining it than I did and it's worth a read: https://beerofsc.com/2017/03/27/the-brewpub-bill-why-your-favorite-watering-hole-might-be-changing/

There's definitely some good aspects of the recent changes. The best thing to come of it is the ability to sell food at a production brewery tap room and not be a brewpub. That said, if I remember correctly, there are some implications of it for brewpubs that may or may not be beneficial and might be harmful, depending on that brewpub's current setup. This has to do with their ability to distribute outside of their own pub, but they would have to convert to a production brewery, which limits their ability to sell unlimited amounts of beer to their patrons in one day. It's kind of blurring the lines between the two.

Anyway, this article does a much better job of explaining it than I did and it's worth a read: https://beerofsc.com/2017/03/27/the-brewpub-bill-why-your-favorite-watering-hole-might-be-changing/

The only downside of the new legislation is the 288 ounce limits are still enforced. If I ride down to Westbrook for the day, I can only get a case (or equivalent) to go. Guess we'll have to wait on that one, but still seems that craft beer breweries are making headway.

Went to DIY out by Sand Hills today to pick up some supplies for a low abv session beer that comes in at 2.8%. It is wheat and rye but the simple grain bill gives the mouthfeel of a richer beer. A true lawnmower beer with the elusive (hard to find) Nelson Sauvin hop. When Kevin has his "tasting" on the last Saturday of June, I'll bring a few bottles to share if you guys can make plans to come out so we can all meet.

Went to DIY out by Sand Hills today to pick up some supplies for a low abv session beer that comes in at 2.8%. It is wheat and rye but the simple grain bill gives the mouthfeel of a richer beer. A true lawnmower beer with the elusive (hard to find) Nelson Sauvin hop. When Kevin has his "tasting" on the last Saturday of June, I'll bring a few bottles to share if you guys can make plans to come out so we can all meet.

I will be there! I am gonna do a cherry wheat that will be about 4.5%. Kevin ordered me some sweet cherry puree.

I couldn't go today because of graduation commitments with the family.

I will be there! I am gonna do a cherry wheat that will be about 4.5%. Kevin ordered me some sweet cherry puree.

I couldn't go today because of graduation commitments with the family.

Since it was Mem Day weekend, he didn't have an event today....you didn't miss a tasting. See you in June!

Wheat and rye? Dang my two least favorite Malts I've ever had. I can always pick out rye from a beer. I have had a few rye ipas and they don't taste like ipas to me because of the rye. I believe it covers up the hop character that I love about ipas. Maybe it'll be better if it's not an IPA that way I'm not let down by the name. Lol

Wheat and rye? Dang my two least favorite Malts I've ever had. I can always pick out rye from a beer. I have had a few rye ipas and they don't taste like ipas to me because of the rye. I believe it covers up the hop character that I love about ipas. Maybe it'll be better if it's not an IPA that way I'm not let down by the name. Lol

Its only got 5 lb total grain...3 wheat and 2 rye. I made this today and used .5 oz EKGoldings for bittering and 2 oz Nelson Sauvin at FO for a 15 min WP. The idea is since this beer will be 2.8%, the wheat and rye will give a great mouthfeel and the huge dose of NS at the end will probably overshadow the rye. I think it will be decent, but come out to DIY next month and I'll bring a sample.

This is what I love about Brewing. We all have our tastebuds that we aim to satisfy. No one really duplicates beer anymore, it's all unique!

I totally agree^^^. Crafting our own beer puts complete and individual creativity within reach so we don't need to rely on someone else's tastes to dictate what we personally enjoy.

A good example is how I felt about IPA's a few years ago. I stayed away from this style as I was not fond of the hit you in the face bitterness many commercial beers offered. When advanced techniques such as late hop additions including whirl pooling became widespread, I found that I love hoppy beers and could control or eliminate the bitter aspect of the style.

When beginning as a novice brewer, I tried to emulate or copy a beer that I liked. As my tastes and brewing skills evolved, I go more off the beaten path and create beers that appeal to my individual tastes. Thanks for taking note of this and your post reflects my thoughts closely.

Yea I agree. Before I was a home brewer I HATED IPAs, but once I started brewing and realized the difference in hops, buttering vs flavor, IBUs, Malts, and all the other flavor profiles. Then I was able to enjoy them and now IPAs are my favorite. Because I know what I like

That is awesome! What varietal of hop are you showing? I have heard that our climate is not ideal for hop growing, but based on your pic, I think that point may need to be under review!

We're actually just one degree latitude below what's considered ideal. And I've heard that centennial and cascade are pretty resilient and will grow basically anywhere--which is why I got a centennial plant this year, which is only just now about 6 ft. tall. By no means flowering yet.

Yep I love me some hops. I already got cones on my plants

How old are those plants?

We're actually just one degree latitude below what's considered ideal. And I've heard that centennial and cascade are pretty resilient and will grow basically anywhere--which is why I got a centennial plant this year, which is only just now about 6 ft. tall. By no means flowering yet.

How old are those plants?

That's good to know. My brother in law planted several varietals so we shall see. I asked about our climate at Clemson Extension and they had very limited information to offer. One commercial hop farm they are aware of operates in York Country.

I read the range for hops is 35 degrees to 55 degrees and Darlington is 34 degrees. Even though we are out of the preferred range, maybe Cascade would be accepting of our climate?

That is awesome! What varietal of hop are you showing? I have heard that our climate is not ideal for hop growing, but based on your pic, I think that point may need to be under review!

That is a chinook pictured but I have two of them like that and a cascade that's taller and flowering as well. All three are about 15 ft tall right now. My centennial is about 2 ft lol
They are 2nd year plants and are in big pots but the roots go down through the holes in the bottom of the pots into the ground. Haha I got two crops last year from some of my plants and my centennial didn't do jack and it seems like it may not do much this year either

Switching gears a minute...bulk grain buys.

I know Morrey buys bulk for his base malts. I've been considering this as well. Well, first I need to get a grain mill. But then! I've been trying to figure out the best bang for my buck. And I really think the most cost effective way would be to team up with another brewer and buy together? Anyone in the midlands open to buying some bulk grain? I also need to make sure I don't have rats or bullstuff in my'shed where I keep all my woodworking and brewing gear.

That is a chinook pictured but I have two of them like that and a cascade that's taller and flowering as well. All three are about 15 ft tall right now. My centennial is about 2 ft lol
They are 2nd year plants and are in big pots but the roots go down through the holes in the bottom of the pots into the ground. Haha I got two crops last year from some of my plants and my centennial didn't do jack and it seems like it may not do much this year either

Seems like cascade or chinook may be the ticket at our latitude?

Switching gears a minute...bulk grain buys.

I know Morrey buys bulk for his base malts. I've been considering this as well. Well, first I need to get a grain mill. But then! I've been trying to figure out the best bang for my buck. And I really think the most cost effective way would be to team up with another brewer and buy together? Anyone in the midlands open to buying some bulk grain? I also need to make sure I don't have rats or bullstuff in my'shed where I keep all my woodworking and brewing gear.

I buy mine at Alternative Beverage in Belmont near the airport in CLT. I know Kevin at DIY offers 10% military discount if anyone is a vet, not sure if Rick offers anything at BetMar or not. If you see that several of you can do a group buy, volume may make a difference.

Lowes usually has those white food grade 5 G buckets with lids for a few bucks each. One 50# sack of malts fills two of those buckets.

Bottles sells 50# sacks for around $60.00 and I will tell you that a grain mill is prolly the best investment in a home brew setup.

Seems like cascade or chinook may be the ticket at our latitude

Lowes usually has those white food grade 5 G buckets with lids for a few bucks each. One 50# sack of malts fills two of those buckets.

Well not necessarily I got like 8 rhizomes at the same time last year from the same place. Only 3 of them are growing real well. Healey has the other 4. Oh and I have a few bines that are coming out separate from the center crown I could cut a few plants off for someone if you want a chinook or cascade.

Also firehouse subs has good buckets for cheap but they smell like pickles for a while

Well not necessarily I got like 8 rhizomes at the same time last year from the same place. Only 3 of them are growing real well. Healy has the other 4. Oh and I have a few bines that are coming out separate from the center crown I could cut a few plants off for someone if you want a chinook or cascade.

Also firehouse subs has good buckets for cheap but they smell like pickles for a while

Will a rhizome planted this year produce hop cones or is it a second year producer?

Bottles sells 50# sacks for around $60.00 and I will tell you that a grain mill is prolly the best investment in a home brew setup.

I am often in the RTP area and get American 2-row 50 lbs bags for $40 (pretax). Pearl is obviously more expensive. BTW, just saw this thread. I am near the VA off Garners Ferry. Nice to find local fellow brewers.

Will a rhizome planted this year produce hop cones or is it a second year producer?

It may. Mine did last year but I did plant them in April. I also got two crops though. I got a shoot coming up so I could just cut off the root and it'll already have a bit of plant coming up. It wouldn't be just the rhizome

I buy mine at Alternative Beverage in Belmont near the airport in CLT. I know Kevin at DIY offers 10% military discount if anyone is a vet, not sure if Rick offers anything at BetMar or not. If you see that several of you can do a group buy, volume may make a difference.

Damn, I used to have a picture on my phone of Kevin's bulk price list at DIY but I seemed to have deleted it. He also offers a 10% discount for member of the palmetto homebrewers assn that he's president of. I haven't joined yet but hoping to make it to the meeting June 12.

It may. Mine did last year but I did plant them in April. I also got two crops though. I got a shoot coming up so I could just cut off the root and it'll already have a bit of plant coming up. It wouldn't be just the rhizome

My brother in law planted his in late March and they aren't really doing much growing just yet. They get full sun, but other than that I don't know much about tending hop plants. I am interested in learning more about hops so I appreciate the feedback.

My brother in law planted his in late March and they aren't really doing much growing just yet. They get full sun, but other than that I don't know much about tending hop plants. I am interested in learning more about hops so I appreciate the feedback.

Don't they take at least a year before they start producing cones? I could be WAY off, but I thought I'd read that before.

Don't they take at least a year before they start producing cones? I could be WAY off, but I thought I'd read that before.

They'll produce but they won't produce much. First year rhizomes are spending a majority of their effort building their root system. After that, they'll flower much more. But there should still be cones on a first year plant.

It depends. Only 3 of the 8 I had last year produced and those same three are the ones that are 15 ft tall now. They are on the side of my house and only get the strong afternoon sun. You don't want them to dry out

I got like 3-4 oz my first year from 3 plants with two harvests

I would love to get some rhizomes and get some vines going. My only problem is the rhizome availability. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the only varietals available are Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, etc. Problem is, I rarely use those hops anymore. Maybe some columbus for bittering, but the last time I used columbus I wasn't happy with the final product. But man, if I could get rhizomes for Citra, or Mosaic or one of those guys, I'd be all over it.

I would love to get some rhizomes and get some vines going. My only problem is the rhizome availability. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like the only varietals available are Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, etc. Problem is, I rarely use those hops anymore. Maybe some columbus for bittering, but the last time I used columbus I wasn't happy with the final product. But man, if I could get rhizomes for Citra, or Mosaic or one of those guys, I'd be all over it.

Check out Great Lakes Hops. I got plants (not rhizomes) and they've got a good selection. Also, is pretty sure citra and mosaic are still proprietary, so those aren't on the market as rhizomes, nor will they be any time soon. Same with any of the NZ hops.

Anyone here involved in the area homebrew club? I'm curious if it's worth my time. Their meeting location is a bit inconvenient for me, so I haven't made it out to anything yet. But I was curious if anyone knew what the club was like--if they actually do anything besides meet once a month, like presentations, continuing ed, projects, etc. I know they put on a competition, but do they do anything else? Their website is super unhelpful.

Anyone here involved in the area homebrew club? I'm curious if it's worth my time. Their meeting location is a bit inconvenient for me, so I haven't made it out to anything yet. But I was curious if anyone knew what the club was like--if they actually do anything besides meet once a month, like presentations, continuing ed, projects, etc. I know they put on a competition, but do they do anything else? Their website is super unhelpful.

Funny you mention that. You're talking about the Palmetto State Brewers thing that meets the second Monday of the month out on St. Andrews? I've been trying to go for months and months now. I've got this coming Monday on my calendar though! Hoping I can make it this Monday. Hope it's a good crowd. If it isn't, I'm not above starting my own club.:ban:

Funny you mention that. You're talking about the Palmetto State Brewers thing that meets the second Monday of the month out on St. Andrews? I've been trying to go for months and months now. I've got this coming Monday on my calendar though! Hoping I can make it this Monday. Hope it's a good crowd. If it isn't, I'm not above starting my own club.:ban:

Report back after the fact!

SHAIV has had pretty good luck with his hops so far considering it's a 2nd year crop. Mine not so much but I also don't have a good place for mine to grow. I need to build something for them to grow up. Problem is I live in Lexington but work in darlington mon-Friday and my wife is due with our 3rd kid next month... so time Is very limited. I feel like I would have much better results if I can have a good trellis or something tall they can grow up

Back