South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During the week you have more options. Theres caraway fire and safety on Augusta rd in west Columbia. Or there's praxair and airgas on bluff rd in Columbia right off i77 probably easier to get to those from the VA

During the week you have more options. Theres caraway fire and safety on Augusta rd in west Columbia. Or there's praxair and airgas on bluff rd in Columbia right off i77 probably easier to get to those from the VA

Any idea if the ones you mentioned on Bluff Rd are fill stations or swap out only?

I've never been but they are full service gas companies you could call and ask

I've been to airgas on shop road and they have always swapped out tanks. However I never had a new tank so I never cared or asked if they would refill, you'd probably have to call or ask unless someone else knows.

I called Carolina Fire and Safety on Rosewood. They do either fill or swap for $16.50 (5#) plus tax so this is $10 cheaper than AirGas in Florence who swaps only. If they fill my own they need it a couple of hours so they can pre-chill the tank first. Since I'll be at the VA anyway, I get to keep my new tanks.

Hmm interesting, i bet they aren't open on saturdays though which means they can't earn my business lol

Morrey, I've used AirGas and Praxair in Cola. They've always switched out my tanks. Damn thing is, I swear they charge you whatever they feel like that day. I've paid everything from like 19 up to 25. I think it's a racket.

Welcome toona! Nice setup! I guess you're the only one on here with a pump. I think someone else here was gonna try to get some pumps soon and had some questions or wanted to see it in person or something.

Also it looks like you don't have burners, so I guess ur all electric? How do you like that?
Twas me! I'm gonna be friends with this guy...

View attachment 396416. Ok that's what happened? Here's my setup just for kicks. I'll talk to Kevin about that brew club. Always needing feedback on brews and how to improve.
Fantastic setup. I've been wanting to incorporate a pump(s) into my system. I'm tired of lifting heavy ass liquor tanks and such. But I still can't wrap my head around some of the nuances of using a pump. I really want to see one in person. We are about to become good friends, buddy!

Hmm interesting, i bet they aren't open on saturdays though which means they can't earn my business lol

Yeah, they mentioned M-F. I will drop off on my way to Dorn so they can have time to chill the tank before filling. Pick it up on my way home. Best deal I found so far.

Morrey, I've used AirGas and Praxair in Cola. They've always switched out my tanks. Damn thing is, I swear they charge you whatever they feel like that day. I've paid everything from like 19 up to 25. I think it's a racket.

Ok honeymoon man! OMG you are back and I hope you weren't wounded in action!!

AirGas in Flo is for sure a ripoff. I think they decide the price based on what color shirt you are wearing that day. At least the Fire Extinguisher place on Rosewood gave me a firm price of 16.50 that I can count on.....at least for this week.

BTW...thanks for the NEIPA tips. I used my (new to me) Chugger SS pump after adding a whirlpool arm in my kettle last week.

I did the FWH addition as you suggested. No more hops til FO so WP'd 3 oz GMC for 20 min, dropped down to 160F and WP'd 3 more oz GMC for 20 min before chilling on down. Love that pump!

WY1318 is bringing the SG down quickly. I pitched at 1.060 (67F) on Sat afternoon. I am reading 1.026 at lunch on Mon. I am watching closely since I'll add another dosing of GMC hops in the primary during active fermentation. What SG do you suggest I bring it down to before the next addition?

At least the Fire Extinguisher place on Rosewood gave me a firm price of 16.50 that I can count on.....at least for this week.
Damn, that's pretty good. The fire place on rosewood is literally around the corner from my house and I've never gotten gas from them. I will definitely hit them up when I need a refill!

BTW...thanks for the NEIPA tips. I used my (new to me) Chugger SS pump after adding a whirlpool arm in my kettle last week.

I did the FWH addition as you suggested. No more hops til FO so WP'd 3 oz GMC for 20 min, dropped down to 160F and WP'd 3 more oz GMC for 20 min before chilling on down. Love that pump!

WY1318 is bringing the SG down quickly. I pitched at 1.060 (67F) on Sat afternoon. I am reading 1.026 at lunch on Mon. I am watching closely since I'll add another dosing of GMC hops in the primary during active fermentation. What SG do you suggest I bring it down to before the next addition?
I never add at a given gravity. I wait until what I think is "high krausen" and then as soon as I see it drop even the slightest bit, I throw in the first dry hop charge.

I recently did my 3rd NEIPA. Each time I've gotten another aspect of it right. This was my best one by far. But I still can't get the color right. And I suspect it's yeast. I still haven't used 1318. I'm considering doing this same recipe again and splitting it between 1318 and WLP008.

Damn, that's pretty good. The fire place on rosewood is literally around the corner from my house and I've never gotten gas from them. I will definitely hit them up when I need a refill!

I never add at a given gravity. I wait until what I think is "high krausen" and then as soon as I see it drop even the slightest bit, I throw in the first dry hop charge.

I recently did my 3rd NEIPA. Each time I've gotten another aspect of it right. This was my best one by far. But I still can't get the color right. And I suspect it's yeast. I still haven't used 1318. I'm considering doing this same recipe again and splitting it between 1318 and WLP008.

I tend to favor Wyeast so I went for the 1318 this time. I'll harvest some if it turns out ok.

I figure I'll go ahead and add my primary hop addition this evening when I get home. Don't want it to ferment out fully so I better catch it while I can. Rumors are 1318 can be completely done in 3 days so I better go for it tonight. I used a bit of honey malt and the color looked pretty going into fermenter. I am combining what I think are the highlights of your techniques and those of Braufessor.

I noted something about NEIPA colors (pictures) I have been seeing yet no one has mentioned my "go to" color malt, Melanoidin. When used .25 lb at a time it makes a great color statement.

More to come on our quest for the perfect NEIPA...

I actually was watching a video on YouTube yesterday and the guy was brewing a NEIPA. He said that the way it's supposed to be done is to keep a few lbs of pressure on the fermentation but to let c02 escape without building up more than like 2-3 lbs. I guess you need a special airlock for that? Idk. He said it's supposed to make the yeast interact with the hops differently he didn't really know the exact science

I tend to favor Wyeast so I went for the 1318 this time. I'll harvest some if it turns out ok.

I figure I'll go ahead and add my primary hop addition this evening when I get home. Don't want it to ferment out fully so I better catch it while I can. Rumors are 1318 can be completely done in 3 days so I better go for it tonight. I used a bit of honey malt and the color looked pretty going into fermenter. I am combining what I think are the highlights of your techniques and those of Braufessor.

I noted something about NEIPA colors (pictures) I have been seeing yet no one has mentioned my "go to" color malt, Melanoidin. When used .25 lb at a time it makes a great color statement.

More to come on our quest for the perfect NEIPA...
I'm familiar with melanoidin but haven't used it and know virtually nothing about it. But to give you an example of what I want my NEIPAs to look like, here is a glass of the latest NEIPA from SC. This is CIT-CIT from Birds Fly South in Greenville. Straight JUICE! This is the one part I have not been able to nail with my NEIPAs. And now I'm becoming obsessed with chasing this dragon. I've known some people to cheat the haze with flour, but I think that's crap. I'm not a purist by any means, and I certainly don't live by Reinheitsgebot, but I just think flour has no place in beer

CIT-CIT.jpg

Now I see what you are talking about color wise. I had thought you may be looking for a more orangish hue but that pic looks like straight grapefruit juice. Ok....I follow you now. I keep seeing flour in the recipes, but if I grind pretty tight for BIAB, I get a percentage of flour anyway. I added my primary hop charge today, so I suppose I'll let this charge ride it on out in primary until I keg??

Went to Carolina Fire and Safety on Rosewood for a 5# CO2 fill today. He will fill yours but it needs to chill down an hour (min) to fill it. Or he can take one from his freezer and fill that for you same price of 16.50. Heck the tank he pulled out was better than mine so I said fill that one.

Now I see what you are talking about color wise. I had thought you may be looking for a more orangish hue but that pic looks like straight grapefruit juice. Ok....I follow you now. I keep seeing flour in the recipes, but if I grind pretty tight for BIAB, I get a percentage of flour anyway. I added my primary hop charge today, so I suppose I'll let this charge ride it on out in primary until I keg??

Went to Carolina Fire and Safety on Rosewood for a 5# CO2 fill today. He will fill yours but it needs to chill down an hour (min) to fill it. Or he can take one from his freezer and fill that for you same price of 16.50. Heck the tank he pulled out was better than mine so I said fill that one.
Yeah, just let that ride out until it's done and you're ready to keg. Then crash and proceed on brother per the usual.

That is fantastic news on the Rosewood place. I always switch out tanks anyway so no worries on that. And 16.50 is at a minimum 3 bucks cheaper than I have ever gotten a tank from Prax or AG. They will be my new spot especially since I could walk there (not that I'm lugging a co2 tank around the neighborhood, probably get the cops called on me!).

Hey guys just popping in to meet some other Columbia area brewers.

If anyone wants to refill their tank instead of swapping, I know Pye Barker Fire in Irmo will refill them for you. The only bummer is they don't do it while you wait, you'll have to drop it off but they'll usually have it ready within a day or so. They've got offices in Charleston Greenville Myrtle Beach and Spartanburg if that helps anyone.

All this talk of CO2 tanks makes me sad, I'm still bottling 1 crimp at a time lol it's not that bad. I would like to start kegging and have a multi tap fridge in the garage . Gotta have goals ya know

Welcome cheesy! Good info I have gotten mine filled at caraway before but I have to have a day off during the week to get that done. They filled it and gave it straight back

All this talk of CO2 tanks makes me sad, I'm still bottling 1 crimp at a time lol it's not that bad. I would like to start kegging and have a multi tap fridge in the garage . Gotta have goals ya know

I just have a chest freezer with a temp controller and a keg with a hose and picnic tap inside it. I open the freezer grab the tap and fill my glass. It all stays cold so I don't have to clean taps every day or 2. It's mainly a time saver. My wife was sold when my buddy was like it'll take less than an hour to keg vs 3.5 hours to bottle

Your username is forcing me to ask a stupid question; you wouldn't happen to be from Altoona PA originally would you?

Wanted to remind all interested parties that DIY Brewhouse will have their monthly tasting tomorrow. It usually kicks off at 11am till about 1pm. Come by and enjoy some homebrew and wine!

I was in there last weekend and Kevin said they were going to do the tasting next weekend to coincide with the homebrewers association big brew day

I was in there last weekend and Kevin said they were going to do the tasting next weekend to coincide with the homebrewers association big brew day

Good to know! I still need to pick up 55# of grain today cause after I brew tomorrow I won't have any.

Just wanted to thank all of the participants that were at the tasting at DIY Brewhouse on Saturday!!

It was excellent, not just on quality of the beer and wine but also on the participation. So many good beers and I met a ton of people!

I was so inspired I brewed a California common the next day.

Just wanted to thank all of the participants that were at the tasting at DIY Brewhouse on Saturday!!

It was excellent, not just on quality of the beer and wine but also on the participation. So many good beers and I met a ton of people!

Lots of good beers, meads and wines there. Not sure what I want to brew next, but I have some wlp029 that I should use sooner rather than later, I'm stuck between and alt or an oktoberfest. I could use a lager yeast for the oktoberfest but I've seen people having good results with the German ale yeast at cooler temperatures.

Hate that I missed it again! Had too much shizz to get done around the house. Got another NEIPA in the fermenter now. Maybe I can bring some of that next month if the keg is still on!

New to this forum. I live in downtown Columbia. I am looking for a 50liter keg to ferment. Anybody know anything?

Welcome crescent! And nice setup! Sorry I don't know about the keg or sanitary welds

New to this forum. I live in downtown Columbia. I am looking for a 50liter keg to ferment. Anybody know anything?

Welcome to the board! I wish I could help but haven't been able to find a vessel like you're looking for, unfortunately.

So I have this refrigerated cooler that is 16" inner diameter and a 50liter keg would fit perctly making a pseudo jacketed fermenter that can be controlled via thermowell with a PID. This is why I'm looking for the 50 liter keg.

IMG_1811.JPG

Ok guys, I've got a question for those of you who get your grains from bet-mar.

I'm having an efficiency issue and need to know if it's his crush or a problem on my end. Have any of you guys gotten your grain milled there, and if so, did you notice any issues?

For reference, I used 12 lbs of grain last night (10 lbs 2-row, 1 lb Vienna, 1 lb C120--somplenty of diastatic power here), and I ended up with just a hair over five gallons at 1.057. I need to know if I need to start going elsewhere or invest in a mill (trying to avoid that one for the time being).

Back