South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok they do now have lupulin powder pellets on brewers friend recipe builder. I took some of your advice and updated the recipe again.
IMG_1903.jpg

Ok they do now have lupulin powder pellets on brewers friend recipe builder. I took some of your advice and updated the recipe again.
View attachment 555820
Yeah dude, that looks great. I think you'll dig that. One note: when you say "5 each" for the fermcap, you're talking about drops, right? I think the bottle says 5 drops per 5 gallons. Piece of advice I learned with fermcap - 5 drops is absolutely not enough for 5 gallons. The first time I used it I did 5 drops and still almost had a boil over. So I started searching around and found that most people say you need much more than that. I usually do about 10 drops for a 5 gallon batch. Hell, I put 5 drops in my 2L starters.

Really? I think the bottle says 2 drops per gallon but it doesnt say for boil or fermentation. Most people ive seen say they use one drop per gallon is enough and one drop in starter. I was thinking id see how one drop per gallon in boil and maybe one drop per gallon in fermenter

Really? I think the bottle says 2 drops per gallon but it doesnt say for boil or fermentation. Most people ive seen say they use one drop per gallon is enough and one drop in starter. I was thinking id see how one drop per gallon in boil and maybe one drop per gallon in fermenter
If you add it to the boil, no need to add it directly to the fermenter. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything, but it's just a waste IMO, and this stuff (at least mine) never goes bad, so it should last a long time.

Yeah i was wondering that. Ive been reading about it but everyone only says weather or not they add it to the boil or fermenter and havent figured out weather it works for fermentation too if you add it to the boil.

Yeah i was wondering that. Ive been reading about it but everyone only says weather or not they add it to the boil or fermenter and havent figured out weather it works for fermentation too if you add it to the boil.
Case in point: I add it to the "boil" for my starters and it keeps it from overflowing my 2L flask, i.e., adding it to the boil will definitely carryover through fermentation.

Yeah if i have time im gonna make a starter with s04 yeast and put it in that

I dont but i feel like its still better than not doing it right?
Maybe im wrong but i feel like itll get the yeast going and ready to eat. Might not even need to aerate the batch even though i would still

Last edited:
I dont but i feel like its still better than not doing it right?
Maybe im wrong but i feel like itll get the yeast going and ready to eat. Might not even need to aerate the batch even though i would still
It definitely won't hurt anything. If anything, you'll be over-pitching a little. Which doesn't bother me. I probably over-pitch more often than I under-pitch. FWIW, this is from a sticky in the fermentation and yeast subforum:

It is generally not recommended to make a starter with dry yeast, for a few reasons. The yeast comes packaged with a cell count and nutrient reserves sufficient for most 5 gallon batches. The cost of a packet of yeast is generally less than the cost of making a proper starter. To be large enough for optimal cell growth based purely on the number of yeast cells inoculating the starter wort, the starter would need to be roughly 3L on a stir plate and this is impractical for most and would yield far more cells (380+ billion) than you would need for most 5 gallon ales. Making a traditional 1L to 2L starter would not allow for healthy growth of the yeast cells.

Well maybe i wont make a starter. I just felt like it would get them hydrated and oxygenated for cell wall building so they could eat. I wouldnt neccessarily want to increase population. Maybe i just really wanted to test the foam control out and boil a starter in my flask since ive never done that lol

Ok so check this out

I may just try that

Last edited:
Well maybe i wont make a starter. I just felt like it would get them hydrated and oxygenated for cell wall building so they could eat. I wouldnt neccessarily want to increase population. Maybe i just really wanted to test the foam control out and boil a starter in my flask since ive never done that lol

Ok so check this out

I may just try that

Yeah dude, that's a better option IMO. That's exactly what I (usually) do when I'm using dried yeast. Probably gonna do it this weekend when I knock out a 15(!!) gallon extract base for my solera barrel.

So is this a lot of krausen for having foam control added to the boil? I did two drops per gallon and there was no boil foam to speak of
IMG_1938.jpg

So is this a lot of krausen for having foam control added to the boil? I did two drops per gallon and there was no boil foam to speak of View attachment 556691
I can't really say whether that's a lot or not. However, I did read this weekend actually where most people have said using it in the boil does not carry over to the fermenter. But I also saw those same people note that adding it directly to the fermenter doesn't do much to help with krausen. I can't say whether that's true or not. But I did use about 30 drops in a 12 gallon boil this weekend! And still almost boiled over in my half barrel keggle!

Dude. Its gonna blow and im at work for the next 6 hours or more. I guess it should be ok. I just cant believe that is gonna happen with a 1.047 sg and foam control in the boil. I guess it doesnt carry over into the fermenter. I think the water i added to the fermenter might not have mixed in good when i took my gravity sample. I thought it would be good...

Dude. Its gonna blow and im at work for the next 6 hours or more. I guess it should be ok. I just cant believe that is gonna happen with a 1.047 sg and foam control in the boil. I guess it doesnt carry over into the fermenter. I think the water i added to the fermenter might not have mixed in good when i took my gravity sample. I thought it would be good...
Ha! I know that feeling. But yeah, it'll be fine for another 6 hours or so. I wouldn't worry. Easier said than done though!

6 hours have passed. Did it blow?

Haha couldn’t make the 6 hours then. Well very nice - glad to know the bubbler could hold it.

Yeah man. Its crazy active right now though. I think theres no way its 1.047 right? Brewers friend put it at 1.056. I didnt really stir it or shake it after I topped up the fermenter. Rehydrating the yeast really must have got it going good

Yeah man. Its crazy active right now though. I think theres no way its 1.047 right? Brewers friend put it at 1.056. I didnt really stir it or shake it after I topped up the fermenter. Rehydrating the yeast really must have got it going good

I’m not sure about the gravity - I’ve never tried to correlate blowouts to gravity but it makes sense. Rehydrated yeast is a solid beast. When I’m experimenting with leftover ingredients, I’ll toss in 2 packs of rehydrated safale04(I think that’s the one) and get some beautiful yeast violence Haha.

A small brewpub near me puts it in a syringe to spray at the Krausen if it gets too high. Not sure how applicable it is for the average homebrewer, but thought it was worth sharing..

I’m not sure about the gravity - I’ve never tried to correlate blowouts to gravity but it makes sense. Rehydrated yeast is a solid beast. When I’m experimenting with leftover ingredients, I’ll toss in 2 packs of rehydrated safale04(I think that’s the one) and get some beautiful yeast violence Haha.

I guess the amount of krausen is correlated to a number of things, gravity, temperature, yeast health. Maybe ive never rehydrated dry yeast before

I feel you brother! This is 6 gallons in about a 7.5 gallon fermenter with S04. Slightly blew out the bung by this morning.

View attachment 556839 View attachment 556840

That’s awesome! My best one was when I brewed a cream ale and held it in my chest freezer at 68. Had a major blowout which I barely cleaned up - thinking I was going to keg it the next week or so. I got busy and didn’t get to legging it for about a month. When I went to cool it, somehow I missed the massive fluffy mold explosion that was taking over the lower foot of my chest freezer. Luckily the beer survived :)

Dude that looks funky. What is that? A sour? And is that a fermonster fermenter?
It will be a sour :) This is the initial fill for my sour solera barrel. Barrel is 15 gallons, so I'll need a little bit more than these fermenters, but I've got some extra blending beer in a corny I can top up with after I fill it. Yeah, two Fermonsters. I got my first one last year, and ordered a second one within a couple weeks. I love them! They're my fermenter of choice when I want to do fruit because the wide openings. And I love the extra head space and the spigot. But damn, I thought having almost 2 gallons head space in one was plenty, but the S04 blew the bung out this morning. My first time using S04 and man it is a BEAST!

Yeah i used s04 for cider and beer before but this is the first time i rehydrated it before pitching and i think its already about done fermenting after 2 days!

Greetings Midlands Brewers! Been here 30 years, but brewin for 2. I've got more questions than answers and, from reading these threads, a lot of catching up to do!

Hey there and welcome! Ask away. Im sure someone here can answer some questions

So i checked my hops yesterday and i got shoots coming up from all my plants already! Anyone else noticed theirs?

So i checked my hops yesterday and i got shoots coming up from all my plants already! Anyone else noticed theirs?

No shoots for me yet :( I was tilling my garden and didn’t realize my hip roots had eaten my garden so I enclosed the roots in a 3’x3’ square. Hope they are ok haha

Should be i think the main one goes straight down. As long as you didnt chop up the main root ball id think you are good. I have mine in pots but i moved them to the other side of the house after chopping them down last year and some of the roots were down in the ground so they got broken and then i cut off the bottom of the pot so all the roots can go down in the ground now

Should be i think the main one goes straight down. As long as you didnt chop up the main root ball id think you are good. I have mine in pots but i moved them to the other side of the house after chopping them down last year and some of the roots were down in the ground so they got broken and then i cut off the bottom of the pot so all the roots can go down in the ground now

Good deal. Glad to hear that - this guy needs his Cascades

Back