South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah man one of my cascades has like 10+ shoots coming up the rest only have 1 or 2

Also i kegged my beer last night. Omg it smelled so amazing! Like tropical jungle juice or something! Right at 5% too

Also i kegged my beer last night. Omg it smelled so amazing! Like tropical jungle juice or something! Right at 5% too

Congrats! I have a dunkelweissen waiting to keg. Just gotta find time! Ordered the mark II keg and carboy washer. Cant wait to try hands-off cleaning

Congrats! I have a dunkelweissen waiting to keg. Just gotta find time! Ordered the mark II keg and carboy washer. Cant wait to try hands-off cleaning

Nice. I dunno what a dunkelweissen is though, i think(especially if this ipa is great) im starting to be interested in branching out from ipas though. Ive been such a hophead ever since i started brewing i just dont know if im ready yet. Lol

Whew. Got the barrel filled yesterday. Actually, thankful to have a day off, I waxed, sanitized, and filled the barrel. Racked in just over 15 gallons of basic 50/50 pale/wheat fermented with S04. Racked it in at 1.014. Pitched bottle dregs I had been saving from a few bottles from Birds Fly South, Carolina Bauernhaus (where I got the barrel), Fonta Flora, and Hill Farmstead. So between the brett and lacto already in the wood and the bottle dregs, it should be a nice environment for souring. I won't touch the barrel for at least 3 months and I'll check it then to see if I have a sexy pellicle and/or if I need to top off. Even though I waxed about 30% of the barrel, I still want to keep it filled as full as possible to cut down on oxidation. I'll probably add more dregs periodically as I drink some good bottles.

Barrel Fill.PNG

Whew. Got the barrel filled yesterday. Actually, thankful to have a day off, I waxed, sanitized, and filled the barrel. Racked in just over 15 gallons of basic 50/50 pale/wheat fermented with S04. Racked it in at 1.014. Pitched bottle dregs I had been saving from a few bottles from Birds Fly South, Carolina Bauernhaus (where I got the barrel), Fonta Flora, and Hill Farmstead. So between the brett and lacto already in the wood and the bottle dregs, it should be a nice environment for souring. I won't touch the barrel for at least 3 months and I'll check it then to see if I have a sexy pellicle and/or if I need to top off. Even though I waxed about 30% of the barrel, I still want to keep it filled as full as possible to cut down on oxidation. I'll probably add more dregs periodically as I drink some good bottles.

View attachment 558966

That looks epic!

So i saw this video today and i started thinking about how could this be applied to beer and if it could make something good. Like would this even isomerize hop oils? Check it out. Could probably only be done in a sanke keg for a large quantity i would think but idk

Edit. Would that even sanitize the liquid? Would it kill any ale yeast?

Last edited:
So i saw this video today and i started thinking about how could this be applied to beer and if it could make something good. Like would this even isomerize hop oils? Check it out. Could probably only be done in a sanke keg for a large quantity i would think but idk

Edit. Would that even sanitize the liquid? Would it kill any ale yeast?

Nah - all it’s doing is changing the energy level needed for water to move from liquid to gas phase. Hops isomerization requires energy input (heat) and sanitation requires a level of energy input as well. But now that I think of it, high altitude breweries would deal with lower boiling temperatures- I wonder if it affects isomerization for them.

Yeah i knew high altitudes have a lower boiling point. I guess its basically just vacuuming out hydrogen molecules? Idk its pretty cool though

Last edited:
Warning: OT comment

We got any woodworkers or carpenters in here?? I build a lot of stuff (obviously) and am comfortable doing bigger jobs (e.g., redid my kitchen two years ago), but I'm having a hell of a time building a picture frame with some live edge cedar I have. Particularly getting the measurements right with the rabbet on the backside for the glass and backer board and stuff. Any experience with the like??

This is how I would approach it FWIIW.

1. Build the frame, focusing on getting good joints in the corners.

2. Rout out the rabbet, using tacked on strips or similar to guide the router.

3. Only then cut the glass and board to fit the frame.

4. Good luck!

Warning: OT comment

We got any woodworkers or carpenters in here?? I build a lot of stuff (obviously) and am comfortable doing bigger jobs (e.g., redid my kitchen two years ago), but I'm having a hell of a time building a picture frame with some live edge cedar I have. Particularly getting the measurements right with the rabbet on the backside for the glass and backer board and stuff. Any experience with the like??

Good luck building it man. I haven’t tried frames yet but furniture is no problem haha.

Good luck building it man. I haven’t tried frames yet but furniture is no problem haha.
Heard that! Yeah, I don't have much trouble with furniture. Do you have a working planer and jointer right now? If so, I might be interested in trading you some beer to run a few boards through. My planer is on the fritz right now and I don't own a jointer (and haven't ever jointed on my table saw).

Heard that! Yeah, I don't have much trouble with furniture. Do you have a working planer and jointer right now? If so, I might be interested in trading you some beer to run a few boards through. My planer is on the fritz right now and I don't own a jointer (and haven't ever jointed on my table saw).

I wish. Both are on my list of eventual purchases. They are quite a ways down the list though. I do plan to make a slide for my table saw so that I can use it as a sort of jointer. That is down the road a few weeks too. I am hoping to get the homebrew pipeline fully stocked first.

Wanted to run this up the flagpole locally before I broadened my scope. Figured local the best since we could meet w/o shipping costs.

As I have expanded my home brewery, I have added some new equipment meaning some of my previous equipment needs a new home. It is simply collecting dust and I'd rather someone enjoy it rather than just being unused.

30 L Speidel Fermenter
60L Speidel Fermenter

(2) Ss Brew Buckets 7 gallon w/ FTSs Cooling coils and controllers

I wont go into detail about the fermenters or prices. They all have accessories we can discuss via PM if interested. Thanks.

Wanted to run this up the flagpole locally before I broadened my scope. Figured local the best since we could meet w/o shipping costs.

As I have expanded my home brewery, I have added some new equipment meaning some of my previous equipment needs a new home. It is simply collecting dust and I'd rather someone enjoy it rather than just being unused.

30 L Speidel Fermenter
60L Speidel Fermenter

(2) Ss Brew Buckets 7 gallon w/ FTSs Cooling coils and controllers

I wont go into detail about the fermenters or prices. They all have accessories we can discuss via PM if interested. Thanks.
Hey old buddy. Been missing you around these parts. Any other day, I would be all over the SS brew buckets, but it's just not in the finances at the moment. Hope you get em sold!

Hey old buddy. Been missing you around these parts. Any other day, I would be all over the SS brew buckets, but it's just not in the finances at the moment. Hope you get em sold!
Hey TL!! Yeah, been hunting wild hogs and brewing up a storm. What a combination.

Sticking to Ss as I really like their stuff. Once I get the BrewBuckets sold, I plan to order my 3rd Ss Uni-Tank. They are the bomb!

Hey TL!! Yeah, been hunting wild hogs and brewing up a storm. What a combination.

Sticking to Ss as I really like their stuff. Once I get the BrewBuckets sold, I plan to order my 3rd Ss Uni-Tank. They are the bomb!

I’ve been eyeing the ss stuff for a while now. 14 gallon conicals sound great for the garage!

So I made a weissenbock and Baltic porter about 6 months ago that we’re great (and are now gone). I now am stuck with about 8 oz of English chocolate malt and English Pale chocolate that I am not going to be able to use anytime soon. I’ve read that it should be ok for about a year if stored in the fridge. Has anyone had any luck storing longer than that? It has about 6 months on it and is not vacuum sealed- just pushed all the air out and super taped.

I thought you were supposed to freeze it for storage? I usually freeze everything but yeast and extract

So I made a weissenbock and Baltic porter about 6 months ago that we’re great (and are now gone). I now am stuck with about 8 oz of English chocolate malt and English Pale chocolate that I am not going to be able to use anytime soon. I’ve read that it should be ok for about a year if stored in the fridge. Has anyone had any luck storing longer than that? It has about 6 months on it and is not vacuum sealed- just pushed all the air out and super taped.

I thought you were supposed to freeze it for storage? I usually freeze everything but yeast and extract
I agree, I'd freeze it. Preferably vac sealed if you have a vac sealer.

I got about a lb of pellet hops in a ziplock with air squeezed out in my freezer right now. Haha i dont have a vacuum sealer

I got about a lb of pellet hops in a ziplock with air squeezed out in my freezer right now. Haha i dont have a vacuum sealer
Don't freezer burn those bastards!!

Oddly enough, I got some freezer burn smell, just slightly, on some hops the other day. And I vac seal all my hops. Weird. But they were form 2016 so who knows. Still made good beer!

Dang i dont plan on leaving them in the freezer too long lol. So this beer i made that i showed yall the recipe. After kegging it the first week and a half it tasted kinda dirty but now its almost 2 weeks and it seems to be getting better with age. I guess the powder made it taste weird at first. Idk but its finally starting to get good

So you think i should move my hops to the fridge? They are in their original bags with a clip on them then the two bags are together in a ziplock with air squeezed out

Last edited:
Dang i dont plan on leaving them in the freezer too long lol. So this beer i made that i showed yall the recipe. After kegging it the first week and a half it tasted kinda dirty but now its almost 2 weeks and it seems to be getting better with age. I guess the powder made it taste weird at first. Idk but its finally starting to get good

So you think i should move my hops to the fridge? They are in their original bags with a clip on them then the two bags are together in a ziplock with air squeezed out
Nah, they should be fine like that. And it sounds like you use em up pretty quickly so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

And about that IPA, I've found the same thing on some of mine. I don't know that I can nail it down to being caused by the cryo hops, but some of my NEIPAs are a little green when I first keg them and mellow out and really hit their stride after a week or two in the keg.

Guys, I had a fantastic weekend. Entered my second competition (Shamrock Open in Raleigh) and my mixed fermentation (sacc/brett/lacto) apricot sour took FIRST PLACE in the American Wild Ale category!!! I'm so stoked.

On another note, it's astounding to see how the same beer scores in different competitions. And how the same beer can apparently throw off different things for different judges. It's a crapshoot for sure.

Guys, I had a fantastic weekend. Entered my second competition (Shamrock Open in Raleigh) and my mixed fermentation (sacc/brett/lacto) apricot sour took FIRST PLACE in the American Wild Ale category!!! I'm so stoked.

On another note, it's astounding to see how the same beer scores in different competitions. And how the same beer can apparently throw off different things for different judges. It's a crapshoot for sure.
Great win! Congrats!!

+1 on the crapshoot. I entered my RIS in the PSBO and got slammed with a mid-20s score. Same beer at the Shamrock received a score of 40 and second place.

No. Perpetual steward. My judging style is Suck or No Suck. I’m not nuanced enough to taste an entry and break it down like the judges do.

No. Perpetual steward. My judging style is Suck or No Suck. I’m not nuanced enough to taste an entry and break it down like the judges do.
Same here. Which is one of the reasons I joined PSB. I want to learn how to properly taste/judge beers. Are you doing the survivor series comp and/or the fantasy draft?

Neither. I was going to get in on the fantasy draft but my brewing has been sporadic of late and didn’t want to commit and be unable to follow through.

Greetings everyone. New brewer here. Just finished my second extract this weekend. Been gearing up since Christmas as I've wanted to get into this hobby for a while. I hopefully will be progressing from extract partial boil to full volume boils and then on to full grain. Might actually do a partial mash soon. I still need to gear up a bit more with a wort chiller and mash tuns. I'm also want to get a more controlled fermentation chamber. Already have my temp control, waiting on the right fridge. Looks like I'll want to add something new each brew.
I've got a buddy that I've been brewing with, he's about a year into homebrewing.
Went to the PSB meeting with him last month and joined, so I should be there next week too.
Travelinglight, this is Brian btw..

So I read this entire thread this morning and it was good stuff. Look forward to reading and interacting with you guys and hopefully sharing a pint and/or brew session with y'all at some point.

Greetings everyone. New brewer here. Just finished my second extract this weekend. Been gearing up since Christmas as I've wanted to get into this hobby for a while. I hopefully will be progressing from extract partial boil to full volume boils and then on to full grain. Might actually do a partial mash soon. I still need to gear up a bit more with a wort chiller and mash tuns. I'm also want to get a more controlled fermentation chamber. Already have my temp control, waiting on the right fridge. Looks like I'll want to add something new each brew.
I've got a buddy that I've been brewing with, he's about a year into homebrewing.
Went to the PSB meeting with him last month and joined, so I should be there next week too.

So I read this entire thread this morning and it was good stuff. Look forward to reading and interacting with you guys and hopefully sharing a pint and/or brew session with y'all at some point.

Welcome aboard!

Nah, they should be fine like that. And it sounds like you use em up pretty quickly so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

And about that IPA, I've found the same thing on some of mine. I don't know that I can nail it down to being caused by the cryo hops, but some of my NEIPAs are a little green when I first keg them and mellow out and really hit their stride after a week or two in the keg.

Yeah i started thinking it was too bitter to really taste much like a double ipa. I think its gotta be from the cryo hops or all the whirlpool additions it also made my mouth dry and coated my teeth like it was all hop oil or something wierd, Idk. Then almost 2 weeks kegged it cleared up and tastes good now. Heres a shot
IMG_1996.jpg

Heeeeyyyy buddy! As soon as you said you went to PSB last month I was like hold up...is this Brian?! Welcome to the group!

Yeah i started thinking it was too bitter to really taste much like a double ipa. I think its gotta be from the cryo hops or all the whirlpool additions it also made my mouth dry and coated my teeth like it was all hop oil or something wierd, Idk. Then almost 2 weeks kegged it cleared up and tastes good now. Heres a shot
View attachment 561112
Yeah dude, I think that's definitely the cryo. Nice how it evens out though, right?

Welcome! Yes a get together would be cool. Ive been so busy lately and it doesnt seem to be slowing down any. Lol 2 kids under 2 and everyone being sick so much this year plus im a ups man so thats like a job and a half. But it has its perks, i just delivered a keg to a guy on my route! Haha i know like 4 people that brew on my route now! Anyway yeah i might be able to join PSB when i retire in about 20 years. Lol oh and there isnt anything wrong with extract man. I love brewin all grain but i dont have time to do that very often and the more you learn about it the more you are like am i really doing this right? Lol adjusting ph and alkalinity? I probably dont know as much about it as some of these other guys. I just got a ph tester and dunno if ill use it anytime soon other than on my star san. Ha! But brew in a bag is probably the easiest way to get into all grain so if you want to id try that first. Some of the best beer ive ever made were extract beers but there was one biab batch me and my buddy made that was amazing. Next time i do all grain i want to get some ph stabilizer and some calcium chloride, i already have some gypsum. So basically you dont have to make a jump to all grain right away. It can make better beer if you adjust your water chemistry properly. I just dont have time for all that right now so im gonna keep brewing some extract for a bit!

Back