Say hello to The Dude (aka Big Brewbowski)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvhopps

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is my hopped up version of a Brutus clone (Thanks Lonnie Mac).
20 Gallon capacity, 2 Love temperature controllers, 2 Chugger pumps, A Duda plate chiller, and an attachable Auto Grant.

It's about 99.9% complete, just waiting for an aviation plug to be delivered to connect the auto grant to the control panel (Thanks drkwoods for the idea).

20141006_112946.jpg

20141006_090932.jpg

Still need to label all the controls.
20140930_091713.jpg

The arm holding the control panel has all of the stand wiring running through it, it also swings in towards the stand for storage. There is a thumb screw that holds it in the operating position and in the storage position.
20140930_085608.jpg

The Auto Grant in position, I like the idea of the Auto Grant it allows me to gravity sparge.
20141006_123219.jpg

The float switches in the Auto Grant.
20141005_181616.jpg

20140930_091632.jpg

20140930_091656.jpg

Very Nice looking stand.

Any worries about the wires inside the tubing? Prob not gonna be an issue, seems like it should be insulated enough with the round tubing next to the square stuff.

Awesome Job. I've been thinking about a grant, really like your setup.

Thanks, the wiring is in a protective sleeve that is used in blast furnaces to protect wiring from 2800 degree iron, it does a great job so I shouldn't have to worry about it.:rockin:

I like the flames, really ties the whole rig together, man - kinda feng shui....

Keep Walter the h^&% away from it.

Can you provide more info on the grant? Where are the sensors from, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

All of the electrical components can be purchased from Filltronics.com or you can find them on ebay.
I believe Filltronics was selling a complete set up for around $26 on ebay but I can't find the listing now, it came with the controller board, 2 floats, mounting screws, and power supply.
The asparagus steamer came from Ebay also, it was about $17 plus shipping.
The bulkhead connections came from Brewhardware.com, I used the variable length bulkheads.
I just brewed yesterday and the auto grant worked awesome.

Since taking the pictures I have added a 1/2" 90 with 1/2" stainless tubing on the inside of the grant going to the bottom so the wort didn't pour in from the top, this way it could flow gently out of the mash tun into the grant from the bottom up. I also use half of a stainless spice ball, or hop ball as I've heard them called, to cover the bottom bulkhead, it did a great job of collecting any grain husk that made it past the false bottom.

If you need any pictures of how it looks now just let me know.

The hop ball outer ring is magnetic and can be held in place with a couple of magnets as shown in the bottom photo. When I used it in yesterdays brew I had the hop ball screen just laying in the bottom, as long as the flow rate wasn't to quick it stayed in place. it wasn't until after the brew session that I discovered the outer ring was magnetic.

20141026_155740.jpg

20141026_155717.jpg

Here you can see two tiny rare earth magnets on the bottom holding the screen in place.

20141026_155639.jpg

Nice job.

I love the green on charcoal look! I reminds of me the kinds of games I used to play way back when on a phosphor CRT monitor:

qmpzE.png

Kal

Back