Save my black IPA!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebrewin

Reaction score
Recipie: 40 Liter og1065 fg1016
72.3 ibu
7kg Maris Otter
.4kg carafa3
.4kg choc malt
.4kg dark crystal
It's got a real acrid taste that makes you pucker when ya drink it! Wonder if it finished to low to balance bitterness or if it's from the amount of choc malt? If it's the low fg could I just add some lactose to the finished product to balance it??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

black ipas can be pretty strange and extremely unbalanced. maybe try to blend with something very malt-forward if you have it...see if that tastes any better

Did you use Carafa III or Dehusked Carafa special III? If it's the Carafa III with husks, 0.4 kg could be adding a more harsh, bitter flavor.

Hop schedule:

20g Amarillo gold 60 mins
14g warrior 60 mins
25g centennial 30 mins
30g cascade 20 mins
20g galaxy 20 mins
10g galaxy 15 mins
10g cascade 15 mins
10g cascade10 min
10g galaxy 10 mins
25g cascade 5 mins

No dry hop as yet!

Is there anything I can do to the beer at the moment that will make it drinkable. Or should I just write it of as a learning experience and start again ??

Is it still in the fermentor or have you bottled it? Like progmac said, you can try blending with something. If it's bottled, supposedly adding salt will help lessen the bitterness.

It's kegged at the moment.. Really salt well there you go that's interesting.. I was thinking lactose..

In that thread it even mentions honey. Thanks for your time boys I will see how I go with it..

Try googling cold steeping grains for next time you make a black IPA. Works extremely well with this style in my experience.

The chocolate malt will mellow with time (at room temp, not chilled) but you will lose the hop aroma that you want in your IPA well before that. I'd leave the keg out in the warm for a couple months and then dry hop in the keg. You can put the hops in a bag and leave them in the key or suspend them with something like dental floss and remove them later if you want.

RM-MN now that's what I was looking for! Thanks for the feedback. I had already dragged the keg outta the fridge to bring it back to room temp. I will dry hop it in a few months... See how that goes..

Back