Saranac Caramel Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galek

Reaction score
My wife loves Saranacs Caramel Porter, the problem is it's only available in the fall. I can only find it in the seasonal vareity packs in which you only get 2 of each. Can anyone recommend another beer similiar in taste? We live in southern Mass

Normally I wouldnt care but drinking 10 beers to her 2, and keeping up with my own brews I am begining my decent back into college life.

Thanks a lot for any help,

~Galek

I haven't seen many caramel porters around here (PA)...in fact Saranac's is the only I can remember specifically.

Why not try to make a clone? Saranac's website gives you the basics:

Beer Style: Porter
Malt Selections: Dark Caramel Malt
Hop Selections: Fuggles & East Kent Goldings
Color: Deep Amber
Mouthfeel / Body: Medium
Food Companions: Spicy, BBQ, and Smoked Meats
Alcohol By Volume: 5.4%
Original Gravity: 13.30 (equates to 1.054)

Figure with the "Dark Caramel Malt" you'll be looking probably Crystal 80 or higher...it gives you the Fuggles and EKG hops, OG 1.054 with an ABV of 5.4 so you'll want to shoot for 1.012 FG (maybe mash pretty low, 151 or so).

I'm still pretty new to recipe creation but maybe something like this: (assuming 70% efficiency)

Code:
Recipe Gravity		1.055 OG	Estimated FG		1.014 FG
Recipe Bitterness	28 IBU		Alcohol by Volume   5.4%
Recipe Color		28 SRM		Alcohol by Weight   4.2%

Ingredients
Quantity		Grain		         Type		Use
9.00 lb		American two-row		Grain		Mashed
1.00 lb		Crystal 80L		        Grain		Mashed
0.75 lb		American chocolate malt		Grain		Mashed
0.25 lb		American black patent		Grain		Mashed

Quantity		Hop		Type		Time
0.75 oz		Fuggles		        Pellet		60 minutes
0.75 oz		Kent Golding		Pellet		60 minutes

For extract I'd swap out the 2-row with 6lbs of the lightest DME you can find or 6.6lbs of the lightest LME you can find. If you wanted to actually put some caramel in it, maybe add 1lb or so in the last 15 minutes of the boil and be careful to not let it scorch the bottom of the pot. This will boost the gravity so possibly sub out 1lb of DME for the 1lb of caramel.

Maybe someone else can chime in to see if this looks close?

Back