Sap beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds amazing...my grandfather used to tap the trees on his property in Maine and make his own syrup... Just another amazing part of the brewing heritage here in America...

Cool. A lot of folks use the sap as their brewing water, but using pure sap as fermentables would be interesting...I'd suspect more like sap wine though. (Can it be called beer without malt?)

I actually bought some taps this spring. Sadly, with the mild winter & warm spring I missed the sap run. Next year.

Cool. A lot of folks use the sap as their brewing water, but using pure sap as fermentables would be interesting...I'd suspect more like sap wine though. (Can it be called beer without malt?)

That's funny because that is exactly what I was thinking. I remember in Bert Grant's book (I think it was called The Ale Master), he describes a run in with Feds on this exact issue with respect to cider. The feds has classified hard cider under a different license than beer and made him stop producing it. I would think that the extremely high sugar content in this stuff might produce something more akin to rum, especially if one glass puts you on your @ss. My initial thought when I heard that they were concentrating it into a syrup was it could make a nice adjunct to an American style dark Belgian. If I can figure out where to get some, I might just give it a shot. Time to start googling!

Back