Sap beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcycaulkins

Reaction score
I'm trying it... tonight. I got 8 gallons of fresh sap yesterday from a friend, and I'm brewing tonight.
My grain bill:
7 lbs 2 row
1/2 lb 2 row, toasted at 350 for 15 min.
4 oz 60L crystal

I'm trying to accent the "woodsiness" aspect, thus keeping crystal low, but present to give a touch of sweetness and color.

I'm planning on using simcoe for my hops, haven't decided if I'm going to mix other hops in or not. I'll let you all know how it comes out, if anyone is interested.

Maple sap I guess? How much sap addition are you going to use? Are you going to be dry sapping? 5 minute sap addition? Always interested, you should use the yeast from the sap also.

Maple sap, yes. I am using sap in place of water (which is what Papa Charlie recommends, or at least what I remember reading in his book), so 7-8 gallons . Sap won't last long enough to keep around for "dry sapping", so it will be used today and today only. Not using the yeast from the sap, didn't even think of that, maybe will try that next year.
I took a gravity on the sap, and it is 1.006, so it will really only add a small amount of fermentables. As I understand, sap is supposed to give a subtle dry, woody tone to the beer, which is why I am aiming for a pale ale, hoping OG will come in around 1.045-1.050... keep it light to keep it from overpowering the sap completely.
I've never tried this before, so it will be a fun experiment.

I would try some tettnang hops as well if you have them, or maybe for the future. They have a little bit of an earthy thing going on that might be good

I would try some tettnang hops as well if you have them, or maybe for the future. They have a little bit of an earthy thing going on that might be good

I was actually thinking of fuggles, for the "woody, earthy" character, but trying to think if that will go well with the (citrus and) pine from the simcoe.

Cool to see another doing this!
I've been brewing with Maple Sap for a couple years and really like the results, making a light Cream Ale or Kolsch with sap reduced to 1/2.
Also reduced to 1/3 for Mead it is a great, free addition to early Spring brewing!

Back