Santized longevity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtfang

Reaction score
I made a batch of brew one month ago and after the whole process I immediately cleaned and sanitized all of my equipment. I kept all my sanitized equipment sealed and in a bucket. If I want to brew again next week, do you think I need to clean and sanitize all of my equipment again?again?

I would probably sanitize just to be safe. StarSan solution in a spray bottle. Apply generously to all of your gear and press on.

Yeah, I would sanitize again.
When you're finished brewing, clean everything, be it hand washing or dishwasher, then when starting a brew day, rinse the equipment and then sanitize. I don't bother sanitizing most stuff that will be use pre-boil (I know I should, but an hour boil will kill just about anything) but I'm pretty good about anything post-boil.

Yeah ok. I figured. I won't clean everything again, I'll just sanitize

My sentiments exactly. Your equipment can never be too clean/sanitary. After having a couple of mysterious volcano beers, it dawned on me I didn't take my spigots completely apart, and by then of course it was too late.

Sanitizer + spray bottle is amazing. I spray everything probably 5-10x throughout my boil/mash just to get the process started. It is real easy to put about 1/8oz of starzan into my spray bottle and fill it up. Much less pain in the butt to put 5 gallons in my bucket with 1oz.

I spray everything, multiple times. My hands, my wort chiller, my bucket, the lid, all of my siphoning equipment, etc.

i made a batch of brew one month ago and after the whole process i immediately cleaned and sanitized all of my equipment. I kept all my sanitized equipment sealed and in a bucket. If i want to brew again next week, do you think i need to clean and sanitize all of my equipment again?again?

yes

My sentiments exactly. Your equipment can never be too clean/sanitary. After having a couple of mysterious volcano beers, it dawned on me I didn't take my spigots completely apart, and by then of course it was too late.

I had that problem too. Thought as long as I run StarSan thru the spigot I was good. NOT!!!! Have to remove to clean/sanatize behind the nut.

always sanitize before brewing. afterwards it's not necessary because your gear will definitely be too dirty to brew with by the time you go to use it again. save yourself the star san ;)

MindenMan said:

Nice one. I definitely didn't think about the spigots. Ill do that today. And yes, I learned early on that the spray bottle technique worked wonders !

Also I know I've read before somewhere that starsan kept in a spray bottle is good until it turns cloudy, right?

Every time I empty a bucket, I disassemble the spigots and wash them along with the bucket. When I get ready to use that bucket/spigot, I soak the spigot parts in diluted bleach water, then rinse, then run Iodorphor through it, assemble, and run more Iodorphor through it, the filling wand, the tubing, the airlock parts and of course anything else will touch the wort. Since I have gotten anal about cleaning/sanitizing, my beers have had no problems since.

Latest posts

Back