Sanke uses and logistics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I have three sanke kegs and my intention has been to use one as a primary one as a secondary and one as a serving vessel for use along with my Korney kegs in my kegerator.

Has anyone been able to do anything with a sanke like this without having to weld anything? I don't mind cutting one up but I am not prepared to weld ss at this time.

Also what has been your experience with cleaning the keg out in this capacity?

I ferment in uncut sanke kegs. rubber bung with airlock works great. easy to clean. to sanitize just put it on the burner and boil a gal of water. oxy free soak will clean any gunk from fermenting. only down side is they are heavy to move around with 10 gal of wort/beer.

buzzkill said:
I ferment in uncut sanke kegs. rubber bung with airlock works great. easy to clean. to sanitize just put it on the burner and boil a gal of water. oxy free soak will clean any gunk from fermenting. only down side is they are heavy to move around with 10 gal of wort/beer.

Perfect! I was actually thinking of welding together a stand with casters on it for ease of movement. What do you think?

Also did you just completely remove the spear? I was hoping to be able to use a pump at some point to move beer from one keg to the next for primary/secondary uses but that might not be an option unless someone had an idea.

I'm getting a few 30l kegs from someone over at Probrewer. I'll be using them as my fermenters, and move away from carboys. I was trying to find 1/4 bbl kegs to ferment in, but they just aren't available. The only downside is I can't use the kegs to cook on as they as plastic handles and base.

The 30l is 7.92 gallons, so I'll be able to do 6-6.5 gallon batches easily per keg. The most I can make in my keggle is about 12-13, so I think I'll be good.

Redcat said:
I'm getting a few 30l kegs from someone over at Probrewer. I'll be using them as my fermenters, and move away from carboys. I was trying to find 1/4 bbl kegs to ferment in, but they just aren't available. The only downside is I can't use the kegs to cook on as they as plastic handles and base.

The 30l is 7.92 gallons, so I'll be able to do 6-6.5 gallon batches easily per keg. The most I can make in my keggle is about 12-13, so I think I'll be good.

How will you be setting it up for fermentation?

Perfect! I was actually thinking of welding together a stand with casters on it for ease of movement. What do you think?

Also did you just completely remove the spear? I was hoping to be able to use a pump at some point to move beer from one keg to the next for primary/secondary uses but that might not be an option unless someone had an idea.

Try one of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/movers-dolly-93888.html I picked one up on coupon just to move full Sanke fermenters around for $7.99. Works perfect.

Latest posts

Back