Sanke Keg Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Couple of questions for those of you who use sanke kegs.

I'm going to be needing to fill a 1/2 barrel sanke keg. I'm going to be transferring to the keg with a couple of gravity points left over so I can spund.

In this post/thread, the poster discusses using this adpater kit to be able to use the ball lock fittings on the sanke keg but also mentions that "you'd still need to remove check valves." What check valves need to be removed and where are they located? Is the check valve this piece...?
upload_2020-1-24_13-22-20.png

Once this check valve is removed and I install the ball lock fittings on the sanke coupler, I can proceed with a standard closed transfer from the fermenter to the keg, right?

Same with spunding, once the ball lock fittings are on the sanke coupler, it's operation as usual with a spunding valve on the gas post, correct?

Anything I'm missing with this?

That is the gas check valve. The top (normally beer out) post has a plastic bit that you can take out along with the small plastic ball. This is the beer check valve, when transferring in, if you remove the check valve, you can put the beer in there as it will flow through the spear and have less splashing.

That is the gas check valve. The top (normally beer out) post has a plastic bit that you can take out along with the small plastic ball. This is the beer check valve, when transferring in, if you remove the check valve, you can put the beer in there as it will flow through the spear and have less splashing.

Thanks!

Just to be clear, BOTH check valves will need to be removed, correct?

The check valves keep liquid and gas moving
In one direction. So if you want to put beer in where it normally comes out, or let gas out where it normally goes in, then yes, you want to remove both check valves. Do keep in mind that some of the gas check valves also act as a gasket, so you might need to add a gasket to keep gas from leaking.

Latest posts

Back