Sanity check with hydrometer reading.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ylbc

Reaction score
A little embarrassed to say that I'm never a hundred percent sure how to read these so figured I'd ask for some quick help. Attached a picture of a hydrometer reading. Ignoring the temperature adjustment, what do you guys read that as?

I read it as 1.018 (btw the lines are increments of .002)

View attachment 1496368759291.jpg

1.018 ish if you're a top of the meniscus brewer. 1.020ish if you're a bottom of the meniscus brewer.

What sort of brewer are you? See what your hydrometer reads in room temperature water.

Is there a real thing of top versus bottom meniscus?

There are some small bubbles that make it look like 1.017.
Who cares really? I never use my hydrometer. I'm such a slob.
The fact is: me and my free loading friends will drink it whether I hit my FG or not even close.

Yes. Generally in life outside of brewing it's bottom of the meniscus unless the liquid is opaque or has an upside down meniscus. It seems to be usually top for brewing, damn you stout drinkers.
RTFM. Rdwhahb.

Yes. Subtle it is, especially when the test jar is filled to the brim and with the high surface tension of water.

My two cents is try to not fill the test jar to the brim, when placing the hydrometer into the solution give it a gentle spin and let it settle. The spin should reduce the amount of bubbles clustered by the hydrometer. Get down on eye level and take a picture or do your read. Typically what I've seen is the bottom of the meniscus is around 1 point lower. It takes practice

With the foam I would read that as 1.022....maybe even higher
I would let it settle an hour or two and then check it again
I never take a reading till the foam settles

Bubbles? and 1.018 not 1.017? Actually I would say it is 1.01775 but I rounded down. I guess I should have rounded up!

But then again the difference is insignificant.

The main thing is the OP is reading correctly, the interpretation between 1.018 or slightly lower is, that, a judgement.

Back