Sanity check before I start my cider batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
I am planning a batch of sparkling cider from store-bought juice and I had a few questions before I get started. Is it beneficial to aerate the juice with bottled oxygen the same way I do with beer wort? I am planning on using S-04 yeast. Is one rehydrated packet enough to ferment 5 gallons of juice? How important is fermentation temperature control? My house temperature is about 65F right now. Once fermentation is finished, I'm planning to crash cool it, carbonate it, then start adjusting flavors with frozen apple juice, acid blend, and grape tannin. Will the backsweetened juice restart fermentation even at 40 F; do I need to add potassium sorbate? I will pour off a pint of 1.000 "white wine" cider, then use an eye dropper to adjust acid and tannin blend, then scale up to 5 gallons for the whole batch. How does this plan sound to you?

I aerate mine with an O2 wand but it doesn't seem to matter with S-04. One packet is fine. 65°F is good, 60 is even better, but do keep it under 70.

Stabilizing before sweetening requires that most of the yeast has fallen out and there are no lees. You can do that either by racking to secondary and waiting for it to clear before kegging, or cold crash primary when it's done. It'll keep for a while at 40° but not forever.

The rest of your plan sounds good to me.

I am planning a batch of sparkling cider from store-bought juice and I had a few questions before I get started. Is it beneficial to aerate the juice with bottled oxygen the same way I do with beer wort? I am planning on using S-04 yeast. Is one rehydrated packet enough to ferment 5 gallons of juice? How important is fermentation temperature control? My house temperature is about 65F right now. Once fermentation is finished, I'm planning to crash cool it, carbonate it, then start adjusting flavors with frozen apple juice, acid blend, and grape tannin. Will the backsweetened juice restart fermentation even at 40 F? do I need to add potassium sorbate? I will pour off a pint of 1.000 "white wine" cider, then use an eye dropper to adjust acid and tannin blend, then scale up to 5 gallons for the whole batch. How does this plan sound to you?

I am planning a batch of sparkling cider from store-bought juice and I had a few questions before I get started. Is it beneficial to aerate the juice with bottled oxygen the same way I do with beer wort? I add some sugar to each gallon and shake it before pouring into the carboy. I figure this aerates it plenty. So I think just the act of pouring should aerate it enough, but I don't think aerating it more would be a bad thing.I am planning on using S-04 yeast. Is one rehydrated packet enough to ferment 5 gallons of juice? Should be. I use Mangrove JAcks Cider yeast and US-05 and never had a problem.How important is fermentation temperature control? VERY! Too warm and you have a headache in a bottle. 65* should be fine, but I wouldn't go any warmer My house temperature is about 65F right now. Once fermentation is finished, I'm planning to crash cool it, carbonate it, then start adjusting flavors with frozen apple juice, acid blend, and grape tannin. Will the backsweetened juice restart fermentation even at 40 F? Yes. It will start fermenting again. do I need to add potassium sorbate? Yes. I will pour off a pint of 1.000 "white wine" cider, then use an eye dropper to adjust acid and tannin blend, then scale up to 5 gallons for the whole batch. How does this plan sound to you? Fine. Let us know how it turns out.

100% agree with Floppy's comments. The only addition I have is that I use SO4 exclusively when using store bought juice and a constant temp at 65 will work well. A little cooler is better in my opinion but not critical i typically try for 60 to 62.

Ok fermentation is finished, adjuncts added and kegged and carved. The only thing I'm questioning is the bottle of powdered tannin (from LD Carlson) listed "chestnut extract" as the ingredient. I was expecting grape skin tannin; I didn't realize chestnut was an option. Hopefully doesn't ruin the batch!

Back