Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJCalico

Reaction score
Bear with me... I'm brand new to the scene :)

So I brewed a batch of brown ale with my buddy about two months ago and some of our bottles ended up being contaminated.

Three days ago I got a full kit and started my own batch and things are looking good so far. The only thing I have as far as sanitizer came from my LHBS which is C-brite. I do however have a tub of Oxyclean.

I see a lot of ideas getting thrown around here, but when I'm done with my primary fermenter, rinse and soak with some Oxyclean then do a full soak with C-brite??

thank you so much! :mug:

:mug: Oxiclean is a cleaner, I am not familiar about C- Brite. Buy a bottle Starsan to use as sanitizer. A bottle makes about 80 gals. of reusable sanitizer. Just some bottles got infected? May be need to look at the way you sanitized the bottles.:mug:

I agree look at the bottles. Also Star San is a great no rinse Sanitizer. Do not fear the foam! Also it is important to maintain cleaning and sanatizing procedures when brewing. Clean all equipment, Oxy clean is good for somethings and then Sanatize. I recomment Idopher or even better Star San. I do not know about C-brite but if it is a sanatizer follow the instructions on the bottle and you will be fine. Again Cleaning and Sanatizing everything un boiled Wort and beer comes in contact with is imprtant. All equipment and Bottles/caps should be clean and Sanatized. Well hope that helps sorry for the typos I am at work :)

I bought some C-brite at my brewshop recently (they don't carry Starsan) and hadn't had any problems with it sanitizing my fermenter. You do have to rinse it, however. In hindsight, I'm not sure I'll buy it again it since you have to rinse bleach and its way cheaper than C-brite. Anyhoo...

Go ahead and use it...no problems here...

Back