Sanitizing your spoon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamianPollard

Reaction score
I was reading some posts about using bleach as a sanitizer and I have a question. Since you can’t use bleach for a stainless steel spoon, would leaving it in the pot while the wart boils be enough to sanitize it?

Yep! Just make sure that you grab it with mitts or something, as it will prob be hot. Also, you could use star san or the like.

The whole spoon wont fit in my pot. Will it be ok to boil up to the handle, or should I put it in the pot upside down for 20 minutes also?

You can use bleach on stainless, not saying to use it straight but a few milliliters for a gallon of water should do.

Something of an after thought, I can see bleach having an adverse reaction with cheap stainless. You can hit that stuff with any mild caustic, brine or salt and it will rust. My kitchen trash can is that cheap 18/0 stainless and have to keep stainless polish (mineral oil) on it so it doesn't rust.

If you can get a magnetic to stick to it, you've got 18/0 stainless.

Bleach is bad if its gonna have a long contact time, but a 10-15 min soak of 1 Tbs/gal wont do any harm.

I don't sanitize items that are going to be in contact with boiling wort. Just make sure everything is clean.

Latest posts

Back