Sanitizing with onestep.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byrdbrewer

Reaction score
Sanitizing with onestep.

I have a question concerning the use of onestep – I like the fact that it’s a no rinse cleaner, fairly safe, and easy storage, but I seem to go through it very fast. Does anyone know if one step can be effective if mixed in a bottle and sprayed on the equipment rather than soaked. I ask this because there are always white specs in the solution no matter how thoroughly I mix it, and I wonder if it’s the white specs that are doing the sanitizing, or if once its mixed, the water itself is working as the sanitizer

-with out getting into the discussion of whether onestep is a cleaner or a sanitizer – and I understand starsan is a good alternative, but I’m curious about onestep …..any one??

I use One-Step. I don't think it would work well in a spray bottle though. It seems like it would settle out and would need shaken up every time you spray it. It needs 2 minutes of contact to cleanse anything so I will always fill the sink or a bucket with a solution and let things sit in there.

try sar-stan. I use pbw, and sar-stan...the simplicity of sar-stan compared to anything else i've tried is no comparison...and you can put it in a squirt bottle :)

+1 Use StarSan, don't fear the foam!!! FTW!

As an aside, One-Step isn't recognized by the FDA as a sanitizer.

You guys didn't read his thread, did you?

thank you, I have been trying to think of a polite way to say that - I would really like to keep this discussion based on the applications of one step - I am quite familiar with the alternative ways of sanitizing, and the debate over one-steps "sanitizer vrs cleanser"

Apologies, I didn't notice that blurb at the end, I'm just so used to seeing signatures down there I guess. To be more helpful, I find that any type of powdered cleanser I use dissolves better in HOT water than anything else. Try heating up some in a bowl in the microwave. As long as the surface stays wet for long enough you should be good.

Apologies, I didn't notice that blurb at the end, I'm just so used to seeing signatures down there I guess. To be more helpful, I find that any type of powdered cleanser I use dissolves better in HOT water than anything else. Try heating up some in a bowl in the microwave. As long as the surface stays wet for long enough you should be good.

Ya I guess I shuold probably add a signature, I can see that happening again lol . No worries, thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back