sanitizing question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showtime24

Reaction score
ok ive heard alot of people on hear talk about sanitizing with oxi clean or bleach. I have both available at the house so my question is which should I use?

the other question I have is that when I rinse my equipment after sanitizing, would the water i use to rinse put bacteria back into my equipment?

oh yea we are doing our first batch on sat.

use which ever one you want it don't matter as long as you follow the directions.

and yes if you rinse your gear after sanitizing you run the risk of contaminating it again. so take that into account when picking a sanitizer.

The OxyClean is used to clean the equipment... it helps eat / dislodge / loosen and remove the organic materials... It is NOT a sanitizer!

Bleach will work for sanitizer but needs to be rinsed well after use. Either avoid bleach and your stainless steel or you need to rinse well and rinse again....

There are 2 products I grab for sanitizing... Star San and Iodaphor.

I mix them with distilled water as they stay good for a while that way (PH levels can stop Star San from working). No rinse needed with these products. You can get them from your LHBS.

Good luck on Saturday, what are you making for your first beer?

read this from "How to Brew" by John Palmer

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html

here's a portion:

Bleach
The cheapest and most readily available sanitizing solution is made by adding 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water (4 ml per liter). Let the items soak for 20 minutes, and then drain. Rinsing is supposedly not necessary at this concentration, but many brewers, myself included, rinse with some boiled water anyway to be sure of no off-flavors from the chlorine.

The OxyClean is used to clean the equipment... it helps eat / dislodge / loosen and remove the organic materials... It is NOT a sanitizer!

Bleach will work for sanitizer but needs to be rinsed well after use. Either avoid bleach and your stainless steel or you need to rinse well and rinse again....

There are 2 products I grab for sanitizing... Star San and Iodaphor.

I mix them with distilled water as they stay good for a while that way (PH levels can stop Star San from working). No rinse needed with these products. You can get them from your LHBS.

Good luck on Saturday, what are you making for your first beer?
my first batch i am making a belgian tripel, white sail is one of my favorite beers and the guy at my LHBS said that the belgian tripel kit that they sell is the closest thing to it

read this from "How to Brew" by John Palmer

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html

here's a portion:

Bleach
The cheapest and most readily available sanitizing solution is made by adding 1 tablespoon of bleach to 1 gallon of water (4 ml per liter). Let the items soak for 20 minutes, and then drain. Rinsing is supposedly not necessary at this concentration, but many brewers, myself included, rinse with some boiled water anyway to be sure of no off-flavors from the chlorine.

thanks, i think i will just do this (the one tablespoon to one gal) and then rinse until there is no chlorine smell

Back