Sanitizing procedure on brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzycist

Reaction score
Hey all!

On brew day do you sanitize everything at once, or do each piece as you need it? I've been using iodophor in a jug and a spray bottle, and basically I swish a lot of it in my carboy, funnel, etc. and use the spray bottle for the smaller pieces (airlock, stopper, baster etc.) Should I keep up with spritzing everything right before I use it or could I sanitize, put everything on a clean, sanitized surface, and just pick it up when I need it?

Thanks.

I usually mix up a batch of Starsan in a large bucket (usually my fermentator) and toss everything I think I am going to need in there. From the bucket I fill up a spray bottle that I use to sanitize my work surfaces and the outside of my yeast container (flask or smack pack.) The beauty of this is that I can quickly sanitize anything I forget by tossing it in the bucket for a minute.

I have only used Starsan and One-step (back in my Mr. Beer days.) In both cases I followed these procedures. I am not sure about Iodine or Idopher.

I use star-san and it needs to be WET to work properly.
You don't have to worry about the beer coming in contact with it in fermentors etc..

I use idopher. If someone uses it id like to hear their brewday procedure

I use iodophor...I keep it in an old Windex spray bottle and figured out its about 1cc per spray so according to the directions, I use about 6 sprays per gallon to make up a sanitizing solution.

For a brewing session, I spray into a second bottle and add water to make solution for spraying.

I use a wall paper tray...spray and fill with water to a mark...for raking canes, thief, and other long items.

I also use a large mixing bowl (spray/fill to mark) for tubing, air locks, etc.

I use about a half gallon of solution for my carboys...I just slosh it around when I think of it during the brew day and then when needed, dump, drip dry for a minute, then rack. I like keeping a paper towel wetted with solution over the spout until used.

I usually get everything together, pop everything in the solution, and keep them there until I need them during the brew event.

I'm also washing everything as I go and even if I'm not going to use it again (anal) I dunk it in solution, drip dry, then stash away.

At the end of brew session all the solution gets tossed (down the drain, in the compost pile, whatever).

Markd27 said:
How do you use dry star-san? :D

I think that once it dries it is no longer sanitized, so you wet the equipment, let it sit for a minute or two, and the use it while it is still wet.

Is it bad if the tray I used to sanitize my longer items is a aluminum disposable tray you buy at the supermarket? I use idopher. Does it interact with the aluminum?

Back