sanitizing mash tun and sparg tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnfever

Reaction score
I am about to take the plunge to doing AG. I picked up two 10 gallon rubber maid coolers (round) at home depot for 37 bucks each:ban:. All my fittings ordered ect,ect,ect.

My question is this, is sanitizing the mash tun and sparge tank needed since they are being used with hot liquid? What about the the tools that I may use while mashing and sparging since they will be again used with hot liquid?

I know sanitizing is important after the boil of the wort I was just wondering before, just as long as every thing is clean.

I don't sanitize anything unless it comes in contract with the wort after the boil. Some may disagree and I did for awhile but I just don't see the point since the time that its at a temperature conducive to growing nasties is so little. Plus your grains sure aren't sanitized.

Not needed, HLT is self sanitizing due to the temps, plenty of bugs are present in the grain as it is introduced to the MLT.

Sanitation is only a concern on the "cold side" of the brewery, anything post boil.

+1 on not needed. The temperatures in the tun and since its pre-boil, you dont have to worry. I dont sanitize my HLT, but I do sanitize my mash tun. Not b/c of infections, but it sits in my garage and I like to clean it out before I add the grain.

I combine the preheating and sanitizing too. I just add a touch of sanitizer then fill with hot water, let it sit to preheat, and then drain. Its not necessary at all, I could just rinse it with hot water, but I have 5 lbs of sanitizer, so why not :)

I dont actually use my 1 Step on my Mash Tun but I do gove it a good wash because I also keep mine in the garage and prefer to get it a little cleaner before the grains go in.

Thanks for the replies!! I am sure I will have plenty of more questions the more I think about every thing lol.

Latest posts

Back