Sanitizing Keg Equip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieM

Reaction score
I typically mix up some B-Brite when cleaning bottles for wine or beer, and use Iodophor for on equipment. But what about keg equip (kegs, lines). Ive never used Star San but is that a good one? Can I use it on all my Homebrew / winemaking equip too? Need to be rinsed off before use?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Star san is no rinse. Only sanitizer I've ever used and I know I'm not alone there. Definitely been enough for me so far. I'm relatively new to kegging (and brewing in general) ut I usually clean my kegs with Oxiclean free or one step and then mix a half keg worth of star san, hake it around real good for a few minutes, then pressurize and run some through my lines. No issues for me there yet.

I use starsan for both beer and wine sanitizing. I'm pretty anal about my cleaning and sanitizing of my beer and wine equipment. Everything gets washed twice with unscented dish soap, rinsed then I use a 5:1 mix of bleach, let set for 5 minutes then starsan.

For my sankey kegs, I just use soap and water, toss in a couple handfuls of ice and shake it like it owes me money. The ice makes for a nice abrasive but won't scratch the keg (or carboy). Then I rinse, fill with starsan mix, pressurize and flush beer lines. Starsan is great. It's no rinse and you don't have to let it set before you can use equipment. I still try to give it at least a 1 minute contact time. Don't fear the foam!

I use star san. I seem to think I can taste iodophor. It may be cheaper but i like star san.

Back